The Car Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

China has gone full gun on climate action. They are the biggest manufacturer of solar panels in the world and have set up a bunch of electric car companies.

The US is likely to start taking it seriously after the 20th of January.

I think India is behind the curve but we all have to do what we can instead of making excuses.
Disagree re the USA.
You can change the government, who might be amenable to climate change issues in other countries, but the American motorists like their cars and the petro chemical industry, like the gun lobby in America are very powerful.

Just to pick up on cars and the countyside.
This is not London and the Home Counties with two 4x4s on the drive.
People drive old knackers because its all they can afford.
The car really is an essential A to B item out in the sticks.

People in the countryside will still be able to drive old bangers. There will still be second hand cars.

But reading what 57 and others have said, engines are getting cleaner. Then you don't have enough charge points and I know for a fact in Redditch, the power plant can't always cope now, what happens when we all plug our cars in also?

I totally agree re the environment, as per the thread I started, you can see it is a major theme on my mind a lot, hence the hs2 takes away the green credentials of this wally and all who voted for it.

We are obviously straying somewhat now... but all ties in.

The cleaner air links I put in the thread show that some cars are now much cleaner, and that should maybe (I don't have the answers) have formed PART of the equation.

Providing the necessary electrical infrastructure is essential in making this work. It also has to come from renewable sources, otherwise you are just transferring the pollution source from the vehicle to the power plant.

Correction, I put the link to the clean air birmingham re cars and levvies in the envinroment thread

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/the-plastic-crisis-environment-thread.3286/page-12

Brum going to start charging cars not on the exempt list, for driving into/through Brum https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/

You can check your vehicle here: https://www.gov.uk/check-clean-air-zone-charge
Just used that JF and my diesel car inccurs no charge.
How can I be classed as a pollutor driving diesel, but be an acceptable pollutor.
It makes no sense.

Providing the necessary electrical infrastructure is essential in making this work. It also has to come from renewable sources, otherwise you are just transferring the pollution source from the vehicle to the power plant.
That is something we can agree on, however in the UK this week it has been announced that the government is looking at building 16 new nuclear power plants around the country.
Dont know if you class that as renewable or not, and not sure where it fits in with solar, wind etc.
I read that the thinking is that it is reliable, constant power.

That is something we can agree on, however in the UK this week it has been announced that the government is looking at building 16 new nuclear power plants around the country.
Dont know if you class that as renewable or not, and not sure where it fits in with solar, wind etc.
I read that the thinking is that it is reliable, constant power.

Nuclear is a dirty word among environmentalists but it's renewable and can be done cleanly. There is also the advantage of it providing constant power.

Elon Musk got around that with batteries to help provide regular power for Australia's solar plants.

I sometimes think that "The West" lacks imagination when it comes to these things but obviously, I'm not privy to the nuances of the decision making process.

Last edited:
It is a trade off.
Not far from where we live are fields that were green, that had a variety of cattle graze them. They have now gone over to solar panels, so our green and pleasant land is now covered in black panels because it pays better than rearing food.
I can look out of the window and see a local farmers windmill.
Its to far away to bother me, but the poor sods that live reasonably close to it have to suffer the constant drone from it, plus when the sun is in the sky at certain times of day there is the pulsating shadow that comes and goes across the house and garden, not to mention the properties are now blighted because of this.
There is a place for this technology, and it isnt around houses.

So we are going it alone on Battery Cars FFS this is complete nonsense when you have the Chinese ., Americans and Indians belching out shite at a rate of knots.
This government is already a joke this just confirms we are run by a clueless bunch of idiots

The Chinese are investing billions, and it's starting to pay dividends. Their emissions are still a fraction of ours and that of the US, per capita. They have regions particularly badly affected by climate change, so they are doing their bit.

America will make strides now. Biden is committed to it, and like Boris, he sees it as a job creating opportunity.

Places like India are also making changes. They had a visit from the IPCC last year, to help them develop a plan of action.

The last holdout here, after Trump is gone, appears to be Australia.

This is being rushed in with very little thought to the issues it will cause.

Rushed?

By this stunning and competent Government, and indeed, Parliament?

Do me a favour, you'll be telling me you don't trust politicians next.

(Totally agree, and on the devaluation of cars, the things we work bloody hard to afford to buy)

LOL, thanks, but it's not as big a deal as it sounds. It's what they call a paper ballot, or something like that. I have no chance of winning, because it's a massive Tory area here.

It looks good to have the party on the ballot, though. I'd better not win. I don't want to have to work again!!!

Are you going to start tweeting about election fraud ?