The Car Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

and judging by 57 who works in the industry, looks like the engines are getting cleaner and as per other comments, hydrogen could well be the future anyway. This looks rushed and as you say, points towards a mess. There isn't the infrastructure

Sorry but this will be another mega fuck up.
This is not being driven by the general population, it is being imposed on us by politicians looking to virtue signal their green credentials, and a bunch of city dwelling green nazis hell bent on imposing their own view of life on the rest of the country.
If they want petrol and diesel off the road, then keep it out of cities where there are alternative transport methods.
Huge swathes of the country have no public transport, and millions of ordinary working people will not be able to afford these vehicles.
Even electric car manufactures are warning the fuckin idiot that it Boris Johnson to be very careful of embracing this to quickly.
This is once again London centric and bollocks to the rest of the country, the metropolitan elite will be ok thank you, with their abundance of taxis, subsidised buses and undeground trains.
We recently had a debate about populism and government decisions being taken for populist reasons were wrong.
This decision is being taken to appease a small group of people in this country and is not popular with the majority who will have to suffer the consequences.

Why can't people who live in the countryside afford electric vehicles?

What does it have to do with public transport?

I hate Boris and his Tory twats but something has to be done about climate change and it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Electric vehicles aren't the solution to climate change but they will help a little bit and that's a start.

Graphene batteries will go into production over the next 12 months. That could revolutionise electric cars to a point where they are usable.

They are lighter, hold more energy and charge much quicker.

You obviously have no idea of the wages on offer in the rural economy, the distance people have to travel to work and the crazy price of houses, which are unaffordable for people living in the villages.
Many of these villages and coastal communities are half empty in the winter months because the second home owners have all gone back to the home counties until summer arrives once more. They become ghost towns.
When you factor in properties that have no gas supply, which is whole villages that rely on expensive oil heating or expensive electricity it takes up a large slice of income. If you cant get to supermarkets, the local shop is expensive by comparison.
What does what have to do with public transport?
If you mean my reference to London transport, they have loads cheap subsidised options.
Go to any rural location in the UK, and there is no public transport, and what there is, is not possible to use if you need to be somewhere early for a job, or hospital appointment.

You obviously have no idea of the wages on offer in the rural economy, the distance people have to travel to work and the crazy price of houses, which are unaffordable for people living in the villages.
Many of these villages and coastal communities are half empty in the winter months because the second home owners have all gone back to the home counties until summer arrives once more. They become ghost towns.
When you factor in properties that have no gas supply, which is whole villages that rely on expensive oil heating or expensive electricity it takes up a large slice of income. If you cant get to supermarkets, the local shop is expensive by comparison.
What does what have to do with public transport?
If you mean my reference to London transport, they have loads cheap subsidised options.
Go to any rural location in the UK, and there is no public transport, and what there is, is not possible to use if you need to be somewhere early for a job, or hospital appointment.

Are we still talking about electric cars?

I hate Boris and his Tory twats but something has to be done about climate change and it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Electric vehicles aren't the solution to climate change but they will help a little bit and that's a start.
Agree, but when you look at the main culprits China India and the USA they are all sticking two fingers up to climate change, and our contribution in the UK is minimal.

But reading what 57 and others have said, engines are getting cleaner. Then you don't have enough charge points and I know for a fact in Redditch, the power plant can't always cope now, what happens when we all plug our cars in also?

I totally agree re the environment, as per the thread I started, you can see it is a major theme on my mind a lot, hence the hs2 takes away the green credentials of this wally and all who voted for it.

We are obviously straying somewhat now... but all ties in.

The cleaner air links I put in the thread show that some cars are now much cleaner, and that should maybe (I don't have the answers) have formed PART of the equation.

It isn't that they can't afford, it is there aren't enough charge points and do we really think this government, on current spending promises, are going to cater for villages and isolated areas, to have power points?

Graphene batteries will go into production over the next 12 months. That could revolutionise electric cars to a point where they are usable.

They are lighter, hold more energy and charge much quicker.

Good news, I know nothing about batteries and so the better all this gets, the faster we can all hopefully have a cleaner air country. I do fear with so many other countries being far bigger polluters, as alread talked about above, that it might be a little too litte.

And on a slightly lighter note, I'm just gradually looking at cars and wondering what to do. Won;'t be until next year, but do like the look of the new Ford Puma, they do a hybrid. There is a Nissan electric that looked fairly ok in an advert on here the other day as well, but not sure I can see myself buying Nissan.

The BMW is probably one to sell for me next year, it is a beauty, but I don't really drive very far these days, so probably a bit too much of an indulgence. Bit of money in the bank towards my op is probably going to be more sensible.

Agree, but when you look at the main culprits China India and the USA they are all sticking two fingers up to climate change, and our contribution in the UK is minimal.

China has gone full gun on climate action. They are the biggest manufacturer of solar panels in the world and have set up a bunch of electric car companies.

The US is likely to start taking it seriously after the 20th of January.

I think India is behind the curve but we all have to do what we can instead of making excuses.

Just to pick up on cars and the countyside.
This is not London and the Home Counties with two 4x4s on the drive.
People drive old knackers because its all they can afford.
The car really is an essential A to B item out in the sticks.

China has gone full gun on climate action. They are the biggest manufacturer of solar panels in the world and have set up a bunch of electric car companies.

I think India is behind the curve but we all have to do what we can instead of making excuses.

Also good to hear and yes, I agree re America, they have a lot of catching up to do, fair few will be very difficult to convert, car wise, over there mind you.

Just to pick up on cars and the countyside.
This is not London and the Home Counties with two 4x4s on the drive.
People drive old knackers because its all they can afford.
The car really is an essential A to B item out in the sticks.

this new initiative, is for not being able to buy new petrol/diesel, not the old bangers and second hand market,which obviously, slowly but surely, will die out in favour of new fuel motors.

If you cant get from A to B is that what you call an excuse, or do you want those that dont live in cities back to the feudal state that was England 400 years ago.

this new initiative, is for not being able to buy new petrol/diesel, not the old bangers and second hand market,which obviously, slowly but surely, will die out in favour of new fuel motors.
Yes I get that, but I am guessing that it will have a knock on effect on second hand car prices re petrol and diesel, so any one looking to offload their conventional car car can expect to see a poor price on offer the closer you get to 2030.
What do people in tower blocks do.
What do people in roads of terraced properties do.
This is being rushed in with very little thought to the issues it will cause.