The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 291 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

Lack of cover has hampered him over the last game or so. Maybe Hughton regards Knockhart's attacking presence as enough to make up for his lack of support defensively?

I don't think Jenkinson had a bad game when he came on, but will provide zero attacking presence.

Based on last night I agree but it is really difficult for a right footed LB to contribute going forward - can't overlap, needs to come inside all the time.
Another one who although has been us for a year hasn't really played because of how good Cash was last season. I thought he was a good signing at the time - he needs to be given an proper opportunity at RB before we judge him

The issue in January could be this. If we are still in the bottom half of the table, then will Knockaert want to sign on a perm by Jan 7th, or go back to Fulham and maybe get another loan elsewhere? Either way, Fulham are going down and have better resources to try again for a 3rd promotion next year.
Then will Grabban want out in Jan and seek that Qatari payday?
All conjecture I know, but there is the possibility of being in the bottom half come new year, and our 2 most potent forwards wanting out.

You are right it is conjecture.
But we will be in top 10 by Xmas knocking on the door of the play-offs

He's used five players in all his games, and jenkinson only because of Ioannou's red card. Not once has he altered his back-line to three central defenders.

Arter was a big miss last night. Hopefully he's back for Middlesboro.

I think he has made minimal changes to the formation - because the players are used to playing that way. It doesn't mean he won't as they get used to what he expects from them. Look back at his days with Brighton, Norwich & Brum - he often played a back 3 then.

I think he has made minimal changes to the formation - because the players are used to playing that way. It doesn't mean he won't as they get used to what he expects from them. Look back at his days with Brighton, Norwich & Brum - he often played a back 3 then.

Fair enough, it wouldn't be the worst option if the players can adapt.

Wow, I think our sports lawyer chairman just delivered a very damning indictment to the EFL on the Grosicki outcome. About time he did something useful, even in circumstances where we didn't benefit

Can they play to the same intensity for 15+ games until January? Will Mighten provide adequate back-up if any pick up injuries, lose form or knacker themselves?

I would be surprised if there are other championship tems with better wide options, someone will prove me wrong now ...

The problem we failed to address was the centre midfield, throwing more quality out wide doesn't really help but of course I accept cover is good to have, I don't think players of that quality will want to be spending too much time on the bench tho

All though Christie put in a good cross (not brilliant) for the goal, I felt across the 90 mins he was inconsistent, gives away too many needless fouls and looses his man too frequently. Similar can be said of Ioannou. The reason he ended up giving a red card foul was his inability to control a simple pass. He too gives silly fouls and is inconsistent. YR deserves to play given his performances last season. Jenkinson played well last night and could come in at RB.

Would play Lolley/Ameobi on left with Knockaert on right. Freeman behind Taylor. Yates deserves continuing in midfield. Who is his partner. Colback, Cafu or Arter?

Agree, has to be artur imo

Wow, I think our sports lawyer chairman just delivered a very damning indictment to the EFL on the Grosicki outcome. About time he did something useful, even in circumstances where we didn't benefit

Club statement below for any that are interested:

"We would like to thank the arbitrator for considering our case at such short notice and delivering his decision with the requested speed. We were always realistic about the limited prospects of overturning the exercise of a discretion by the EFL board.

We challenged the decision of the EFL board because we believed that we owed an obligation to the player and our fans to challenge the refusal to permit the registration on the basis of an alleged 20 second delay in submitting one document when every other action taken by the club was in time.

It is implicit in the arbitrator's decision that the board could have exercised its discretion lawfully in the circumstances and to have permitted the transfer.

We believe it is a matter of significant regret that the board exercised its discretion against us and the player when it could have done the opposite. In particular we do not believe the board's decision was the product of the type of governance needed to enable the EFL to flourish and to provide the fans with a vibrant competition.

Judging by the numerous expressions of private support that we have received from other Championship rivals we believe we are not alone in holding this view."

we dont have the players to play 4 in the midfield, they are all defensive or wingers. We totally need an extra player in front of 2 others..
We can do this 451 or 352 but time and time and time again its shown that goals mean points means prizes, a good defence doesnt get 3 pts, a good offence does, so it has to be 3 at the back, defend the box. We do have the players to do that. Forget fullbacks alltogether if we aint judging them on defensive ability anyway

we dont have the players to play 4 in the midfield, they are all defensive or wingers. We totally need an extra player in front of 2 others..
We can do this 451 or 352 but time and time and time again its shown that goals mean points means prizes, a good defence doesnt get 3 pts, a good offence does, so it has to be 3 at the back, defend the box. We do have the players to do that. Forget fullbacks alltogether if we aint judging them on defensive ability anyway

Are we as fans prepared to lose a few though whilst a new formation is bedded in and the players get used to it? Some will but the vast majority won't and will be calling for the managers head before Christmas.

The manager will be in fire fighting mode for a while yet working out who he wants to keep, who he wants to jettison and who he wants to bring in.

Deep down I think that we need to accept that we over achieved for the majority of last season and be prepared to write this season off so that in January CH can start to trim a bloated squad, and recruit the players he thinks he needs.

Forget fullbacks? Do you mean 3 at th back, Knockheart at leftback, Colback at right back and the likes of So Yates Arter in centre. Two up top.

Are we as fans prepared to lose a few though whilst a new formation is bedded in and the players get used to it? Some will but the vast majority won't and will be calling for the managers head before Christmas.

The manager will be in fire fighting mode for a while yet working out who he wants to keep, who he wants to jettison and who he wants to bring in.

Deep down I think that we need to accept that we over achieved for the majority of last season and be prepared to write this season off so that in January CH can start to trim a bloated squad, and recruit the players he thinks he needs.
Fans and owners clearly are not willing to accept a few defeats while the new team beds in. That's why we have a new manager.

Just signed on a 5 year deal Macron, the French President will add yet more experience to the squad.

I'm not sure I agree.

Supporters are never ready to accept a few defeats, and I do not think Hughton is either, to hear him talk.

There has been a marked change since Hughton walked through the door; players are stepping up and taking responsibility, maybe that is because we now have some leadership in the side.

Last seasons determination has reappeared and we do not look quite so flakey at the back; that is a sound platform to build on.

We are now creating chances on a regular basis; that is a major improvement on last season; I am sure that we will start to move up the table once we start putting a few of them away.

I think most reasonable supporters can see what Hughton is trying to achieve and will cut him some slack.

The formation of the team may not have changed much but we are defending that little bit further up the pitch and we play with a bit more tempo.

When things start to click we are in for some exciting football, something all supporters will buy into.

And I am not sure what over achieved means; it looks to me like some kind of reassurance in the face of the end of season capitulation.

We finished where we did on merit, even with a young inexperienced squad which was bare in places.

I really cannot see the squad being trimmed in January, other than to offload Clough if he will go; we have a punishing schedule right up to the seasons end.

A typical season would usually see a squad size of 23 or 24 players; now, with games coming thick and fast, that squad size needs to be around 25 or 27.

We are only 8 games in and we have a suspension and 4 players out injured; that will be a common theme throughout the season.

Yes - we definitely overachieved last season.
But... we have bought a whole new team and arguably only lost Cash & De Silva from last seasons team.
Comments from all other teams supporters is how good our squad is - so for me no excuses - it will be top 6 this season

Yes - we definitely overachieved last season.
But... we have bought a whole new team and arguably only lost Cash & De Silva from last seasons team.
Comments from all other teams supporters is how good our squad is - so for me no excuses - it will be top 6 this season

Typically, historically, whenever Forest have had any expectations on them, they have bombed completely.

That's why I expect this season to be a complete abject failure and we will serve up nothing but putrid dog shit all season.

Need 2 wins on the back of these 4 games and confidence will be getting better, be nice to take the lead in the first half Saturday. Might need to rotate a few that Luton game will have been draining.