Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 180 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

OK....the question why we can't remove the Covid restrictions of football. I say coz Germany have had 8 and we have had 66 deaths. Could that really have meant total deaths for two large countries......really?

8 deaths is still 8 deaths. And yes, it could have meant that because you wasn’t clear in what the cause of the 8 and 66 deaths were for.

Good article in the Athletic about some of the gamesmanship going on now in the fight to save the EFL. I think this paragraph says it all:

This desire to effectively ringfence the Premier League by permanently handicapping Championship sides has provoked fury within the EFL, with one club source likening the Premier League to “gangsters who are holding guns to our heads”.

https://theathletic.com/2118524/2020/10/07/efl-bailout-premier-league-national-league/

I mean its almost ringfenced as it is. The gulf between the two leagues is insurmountable for 95% of the teams in the Championship. Gone are the days you can think short term, you need a broad time horizon and to capitalize on any advantage you can get.

Anyway it talks about everything from Premier League Clubs wanting 'B' Teams and league one and two teams scrapping their youth academies to selling shares of EFL to foreign hedge funds.

The Football Pyramid could die this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see an American Style system evolve in the UK. EPL and an EPL2 with League One and Two left to fend for themselves.

Something does need to change though, there needs to be a transferable set of global rules. Its all terribly regulated and administered.

OK....the question why we can't remove the Covid restrictions of football. I say coz Germany have had 8 and we have had 66 deaths. Could that really have meant total deaths for two large countries......really?

Germany's population is 1.25x ours but their ICU capacity is 4x the size of ours and it's ICU capacity that rules the live or die numbers - further evidenced by Germans being, on average, seven years older than us.

Our deaths numbers haven't meant anything for months since they decided, ludicrously, to implement a 28-day cutoff such that if you die more than 28 days after testing positive (very many do) then you didn't die of Covid or Covid-related causes in the official numbers.

Moreover, the death toll is stated at c42k right now but it is definitely north of 70k in reality based on the number of people who've died in the last six months compared to the very reliable average over many years.

The last projections I saw put us back at ICU exhaustion again by the end of November so if you're going to get it then you need to get it in the next few weeks tops - you don't want to get it December-January but by February perhaps enough people will have been culled such that ICU capacity is restored and we start to discover what the new post-Brexit world is really all about ...

As for football - I think there's a pretty good chance of seeing a December-January shutdown again.

Forgive my ignorance and laziness to check 180 pages of this thread (Not sure if this has been covered), but I was watching Eddie Hearn boxing which is something I do as I like boxing, anyway he has Covid-19 and past it onto his dad, he is in isolation, once he has done his 10 days isolation you don't have to get re-tested, and its fine if you have a loss of taste or smell, but if you still have a fever you have to stay in isolation.

Bare with me, Anyway he mentions the Premiership players don't need to get tested until 90 days after testing positive, because within that 90 days it might come up as positive as they could still have some of the virus inside them but not infectious!

It could get a bit disastrous if a team goes down with Covid, forfeit a game for a week, go into the next week after completing 10 days and then they can play again ? potentially infecting the other teams since they don't get retested ?

Germany's population is 1.25x ours but their ICU capacity is 4x the size of ours and it's ICU capacity that rules the live or die numbers - further evidenced by Germans being, on average, seven years older than us.

Our deaths numbers haven't meant anything for months since they decided, ludicrously, to implement a 28-day cutoff such that if you die more than 28 days after testing positive (very many do) then you didn't die of Covid or Covid-related causes in the official numbers.

Moreover, the death toll is stated at c42k right now but it is definitely north of 70k in reality based on the number of people who've died in the last six months compared to the very reliable average over many years.

The last projections I saw put us back at ICU exhaustion again by the end of November so if you're going to get it then you need to get it in the next few weeks tops - you don't want to get it December-January but by February perhaps enough people will have been culled such that ICU capacity is restored and we start to discover what the new post-Brexit world is really all about ...

As for football - I think there's a pretty good chance of seeing a December-January shutdown again.

Hi Bonker, just to be clear - my argument with whoever was actually saying pretty much what you are saying mate.

Forgive my ignorance and laziness to check 180 pages of this thread (Not sure if this has been covered), but I was watching Eddie Hearn boxing which is something I do as I like boxing, anyway he has Covid-19 and past it onto his dad, he is in isolation, once he has done his 10 days isolation you don't have to get re-tested, and its fine if you have a loss of taste or smell, but if you still have a fever you have to stay in isolation.

Bare with me, Anyway he mentions the Premiership players don't need to get tested until 90 days after testing positive, because within that 90 days it might come up as positive as they could still have some of the virus inside them but not infectious!

It could get a bit disastrous if a team goes down with Covid, forfeit a game for a week, go into the next week after completing 10 days and then they can play again ? potentially infecting the other teams since they don't get retested ?

I don't think the bubble system is working this time. I will be surprised if we get the season done in one go this time.

End the season now?

Well after we play our game in hand...
:jangel:

I don't think the bubble system is working this time. I will be surprised if we get the season done in one go this time.

End the season now?

Well after we play our game in hand...
:jangel:
Always supported points per game.Prime Minister must bring in new act of Parliament.

Thank the gods, missed last night of the proms this year and the ballet...love my ballet, so masculine all those men in tights (and not a pair of gloves in sight)

Don't knock it til you've tried it Merd ; )

In all seriousness, I love the proms and always get down to watch a couple of performances. Being a musician, it's great to hear that Albert Hall is opening in some capacity as it means it won't disappear - it's a great venue. My friend works there and she insists they were literally weeks away from going under.

Ethically however it's very difficult. Going to put people in danger for sure if they go there. At what point though do we start accepting that this virus will likely never go away? We can't bunker down forever.

As it relates to football, I fully agree that if it is safe for the Albert Hall, it is safer yet to go to the stadiums. If our idiot PM enjoyed football, or more likely has a financial interest in it, I'd bet fans would already be in the grounds.

Afternoon Premier league .

The other word is OFF.
:Fingers:

Money grabbing , exploiting a global pandemic with thousands dying
Classy.

Premier League: Games not selected for broadcast in October will be available to fans on a pay-per-view basis - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54481945

Absolute robbing *****, really makes my blood boil. This won’t be a temporary thing either, it’ll be here to stay for the ‘bigger’ games you can guarantee it. My season ticket works out £16-17 a game, not a chance will I be paying that, I’ll stream it for £0.