Current average ages in each department (excluding Ben Coker):

Goalkeeper: 21 years 6 months

Defence: 22 years 6 months

Central midfield: 24 years 10 months

Wingers: 22 years 7 months

Strikers: 21 years 4 months

This is where we stand against the 22-man squad requirement:

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Palmer, Ross, Walsh (17)

U21:
Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, Eyoma, Johnson, Long, Morton, Roughan, Scully (8)

Building for the future in uncertain times financially. Potentially, this has the makings of the best squad we have had in decades. If we can keep them together for long enough, they do have the potential to take us to the Championship in a couple of years time.

But that is the cruncher, can we keep the squad together for longer than a season?

Building for the future in uncertain times financially. Potentially, this has the makings of the best squad we have had in decades. If we can keep them together for long enough, they do have the potential to take us to the Championship in a couple of years time.

But that is the cruncher, can we keep the squad together for longer than a season?

... and add even more quality to it 🤔. If we can keep the bulk of the squad together, who are mostly our own players, and add two or three next season, we could be an even stronger force to be reckoned with.

Update following the arrival of Jamie Soule:

Goalkeepers: (3)
Alex Palmer, 24 (season loan from WBA)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)
Sam Long, 17 (unknown)

Defenders: (7)
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022) Left-back
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021) Right-back
Adam Jackson, 26 (unknown) Centre-half
Joe Walsh, 28 (unknown)
Centre-half
TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021) Left-back On season loan at Stevenage

Central Midfielders: (6)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 24 (unknown)

Wingers: (4)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)
Theo Archibald, 22 (unknown)
Remy Howarth, 22 (June 2021)

Strikers: (6)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Callum Morton, 20 (season loan from WBA)
Brennan Johnson, 19 (season loan from Nottingham Forest)
Jamie Soule, 19 (loan from WBA to 1 January 2021)

Total: 26
Contracted: 22
In on loan: 5
Out on loan: 1

Average age at 30 June 2020: 22 years 6 months
(excluding players out on loan)

Current average ages in each department (excluding Ben Coker):

Goalkeeper: 21 years 6 months

Defence: 22 years 6 months

Central midfield: 24 years 10 months

Wingers: 22 years 7 months

Strikers: 21 years 0 months

This is where we stand against the 22-man squad requirement:

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Palmer, Ross, Walsh (17)

U21:
Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, Eyoma, Johnson, Long, Morton, Roughan, Scully, Soule (9)

Full back is my concern position...
LB for me.

I'm not fully sold on Melbourne. I know MA has said he sees himself as a CB but sometimes you get the impression he just goes through the motions at LB because he doesn't really want to be a full back.

It's a big ask for Roughan to play 35-40 games this season IMO.

Well at 26 it is larger than expected. Perhaps 2-3 will be sent out on loan or sold.
Suspect we'll have JAS and Bradley off the squad list by mid-October.

Soule has obviously come in to replace Morton, otherwise he'd not have been signed.

I don’t think Melbourne is big enough to be a CB personally. I do agree that FB seems to be a bit of a problem area at the moment especially with Lewis out.

I don’t think Melbourne is big enough to be a CB personally. I do agree that FB seems to be a bit of a problem area at the moment especially with Lewis out.

I think that's my concern at RB is that we don't seem to be able to get Lewis fit and stay fit...

I think that's my concern at RB is that we don't seem to be able to get Lewis fit and stay fit...

He has been a real victim of circumstances so far. If Walsh/Jackson retain fitness he could really struggle to break into the team with Montsma and Eyoma looking to have established themselves at CH and RB respectively.

It's good to know from what little we have seen of him there is a decent player in the wings.

Lewis has good technical ability on the ball - there is no reason why he cannot be used as an option on the right side of midfield.

I think the fullback positions are ones we probably have more cover on than any, perhaps equal with wingers. The issue is keeping them fit to have the options available. Presumably in an ideal world we would split RB game time between Eyoma and Lewis, and LB between Melbourne and Roughan. Edun is a CM for me, and like Luke, I'm not completely convinced by Melbourne. I don't doubt his ability but he sends to want to be further up the pitch than he can afford and then gets caught out.