Charlton | Page 2 | Vital Football

Charlton

I lived in Fulham for two years. One of the local chippies used to open on Sundays but wasn't allowed to sell fried fish, so I bought a pot of jellied eels. For some reason, I was half expecting the jelly to be like the stuff in pork pies. It wasn't, it was horrible (don't they call it liquor?).

I remember the mussel man coming to the Monsons every Saturday night.

I remember people coming round the pubs selling Kershaws products - we always had a bag of cockles

I lived in Fulham for two years. One of the local chippies used to open on Sundays but wasn't allowed to sell fried fish, so I bought a pot of jellied eels. For some reason, I was half expecting the jelly to be like the stuff in pork pies. It wasn't, it was horrible (don't they call it liquor?).

I remember the mussel man coming to the Monsons every Saturday night.

"Liquor" was the left over water from stewing the eels . reduced down , added parsley and it made a lovely sauce to pour over eel pie

Trisimp - I lived there for about 3 or 4 years (Plumstead Common Rd). Eventually lived in Thamesmead (😱🤬) just down the road from Charlton. I also recall going to a Who concert at The Valley back in about 1974. It was the first time I saw Bad Company and hadn’t realised they were formed out of Free. They were superb and I became a lifelong fan. I also have a vague memory of Maggie Bell injuring herself (wrist?) I think on her Tamborine 🤔.

Trisimp - I lived there for about 3 or 4 years (Plumstead Common Rd). Eventually lived in Thamesmead (😱🤬) just down the road from Charlton. I also recall going to a Who concert at The Valley back in about 1974. It was the first time I saw Bad Company and hadn’t realised they were formed out of Free. They were superb and I became a lifelong fan. I also have a vague memory of Maggie Bell injuring herself (wrist?) I think on her Tamborine 🤔.
I moved from Maze hill to plumstead 15 years ago.
I’m assistant manager of Welling Town who play at Thamesmead

we’ve got concord rangers away on Saturday

I thinks there were a few concerts staged there . Mainly due to the amount of people that could attend .

I live in SE London and have a lot of mates who are addicks.. the stuff mentioned on here doesn’t even get near to the absolute shit fest that’s going on at the Valley. I’ve (like trisimp) been waiting for years for us to play Charlton and at the moment I’d be all over that because at the moment, things aren’t looming great at all.

yep , was a regular visitor to Hayes Lane back in them days .
Played for Petts Wood in the Orpington and Bromley District League .

I played for Hilly Fields in the Beckenham League around 81/82/83. First game I saw before I played for them was a cup final at Hayes Lane.

Last edited:
I played for Hilly Fields in the Beckenham League around 81/82/83. First game I saw before I played for them was a cup final at Hayes Lane.

Hayes lane still holds cup finals for some of the amateur leagues in the area . Nice little ground with a small but loyal fan base .

Charlton has been a **** show for ages even before the current charlatans took over. Getting rid of Curbishley as manager was a massive mistake and they've been on downward spiral ever since.
Paul Elliott has a consortium together to hopefully takeover and hopefully sort them out.
Can't be doing with a season with 23 teams in the division again , let's hope all teams survive the pandemic and keep going.

I moved to Woolwich from Lincoln in 1986 and have lived in the general area ever since. Once lived about 1/2 mile from the Valley but when they were in exile. When moving here Charlton were the 'big' team I followed - amazing that we are at the same level now.

I was not here when the Who played at the Valley but I read somewhere that it was the loudest concert on record.

Charlton has been a **** show for ages even before the current charlatans took over. Getting rid of Curbishley as manager was a massive mistake and they've been on downward spiral ever since.
Paul Elliott has a consortium together to hopefully takeover and hopefully sort them out.
Can't be doing with a season with 23 teams in the division again , let's hope all teams survive the pandemic and keep going.

I say Charlton, you say Charlatan. Let's call the whole thing off.

With Jack Charlton's recent death, made me wonder how many players share names with football clubs apart from Jack & Bobby.

Not sure on Abraham's playing career, but surely must have been some "Lincoln"s who played the game?

And any others?