Charlton | Vital Football

Charlton

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Sounding a bit like the new Bury at the minute.

The EFL say they're waiting for information and proof of funds ahead of a(nother) takeover and Charlton are saying they've got it - just like Steve Dale did last season.

When I was really little I used to support Charlton. They had a sword on their badge. I was 3. Swords were cool.

Years ago you could get a coin for each club. I only ever had a few but for exactly the same reason I was rather taken with Charlton. A coin with a sword on it! Cool.

I like their club nickname - the 'Addicks. Although the origin of this is up for debate. The most commonly accepted theory is it's because back in the early days, the local fishmonger used to buy the players haddock and chips after the game (this is pre-Wenger remember).
Although it would have been better if they were called the 'Spam Fritters' or the 'Saveloys'

I like their club nickname - the 'Addicks. Although the origin of this is up for debate. The most commonly accepted theory is it's because back in the early days, the local fishmonger used to buy the players haddock and chips after the game (this is pre-Wenger remember).
Although it would have been better if they were called the 'Spam Fritters' or the 'Saveloys'

Everyone knows they like rock salmon in London, so they ought to be called the Rocks.

East London is famous for jellied eels; the Jellies?

And please tell me Charlton do run out to this classic tune!

Sadly , they don’t. Charlton run (Or actually walk out alongside their opponents) to Them Red Red Robbin’...and have done for a long time. However, I was fortunate to be at the first game back at The Valley in 1992, and the songs played that day in the build up to the game all had a coming home flavour to them, including The Skids. Others included So Good To Be Back Home by the Tourists, Welcome Home, (Peters and Lee) and Tom Jones, The Green Green Grass Of Home. Amazing what crap I remember over a period of time. That said, it was a very memorable occasion that I was thrilled to be part of.

East London is famous for jellied eels; the Jellies?

East London ??? . what an insult lol ...... its South East London ie South of the Thames. Used to be a great stadium to visit back in the 60s , superb atmosphere especially on a derby match , Millwall for example . Had a 75.000 capacity .

As for jellied Eels ?????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

East London ??? . what an insult lol ...... its South East London ie South of the Thames. Used to be a great stadium to visit back in the 60s . 75.000 capacity .

As for jellied Eels ?????

It is a great Stadium now to be fair....albeit modernised, a lot of its history has been retained and having been there prior to Charlton leaving and many times since the return it is probably my favourite stadium.
As for Jellied Eels, I will eat virtually anything but they are disgusting and should be banned...🤮

It is a great Stadium now to be fair....albeit modernised, a lot of its history has been retained and having been there prior to Charlton leaving and many times since the return it is probably my favourite stadium.
As for Jellied Eels, I will eat virtually anything but they are disgusting and should be banned...🤮

Cant disagree with that , except for the jellied eels . On a Saturday night in the boozer , always looked forward to the chap bringing in the basket full of welks , crab sticks , cockles and of course the odd eel . went well with a pint or pints .

A visit to Southend was not complete with out a few eels . :yes::yes:

Last edited:
Sadly , they don’t. Charlton run (Or actually walk out alongside their opponents) to Them Red Red Robbin’...and have done for a long time. However, I was fortunate to be at the first game back at The Valley in 1992, and the songs played that day in the build up to the game all had a coming home flavour to them, including The Skids. Others included So Good To Be Back Home by the Tourists, Welcome Home, (Peters and Lee) and Tom Jones, The Green Green Grass Of Home. Amazing what crap I remember over a period of time. That said, it was a very memorable occasion that I was thrilled to be part of.

Some cracking songs there!

And along with my punk background, I have to add that they could have included John Otway's cover of The Green Green Grass of Home...

If you dig out some of the old photos of their big terrace it was an absolute behemoth. I believe it was the biggest terrace in English club football for many years.

As for jellied Eels ?????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I lived in Fulham for two years. One of the local chippies used to open on Sundays but wasn't allowed to sell fried fish, so I bought a pot of jellied eels. For some reason, I was half expecting the jelly to be like the stuff in pork pies. It wasn't, it was horrible (don't they call it liquor?).

I remember the mussel man coming to the Monsons every Saturday night.

If you dig out some of the old photos of their big terrace it was an absolute behemoth. I believe it was the biggest terrace in English club football for many years.

Record attendance 75,031 in 1938.

1976 Rothman's Annual gave capacity then to be "66,000 (biggest in Football League)".

Re: jellied eels, my local Morrisons sells pots of them and I cannot work out for the life of me who buys them here in Leicestershire. I cannot see the appeal!