Brexit Day! | Page 107 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Trade agreements that have been signed'...

Andean countries
CARIFORUM trade bloc
Central America
Chile
Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) trade bloc 
Faroe Islands
Georgia
Iceland and Norway
Israel
Jordan
Kosovo
Lebanon
Liechtenstein
Morocco
Pacific states
Palestinian Authority
South Korea
Southern Africa Customs Union and Mozambique (SACUM) trade bloc
Switzerland
Tunisia

So, are you saying these trade agreements that have been signed have not actually been signed? Just want to draw a line under this.

And will these great new trade deals help us rebuild our medical supplies after covid- the FT thinks not. Another brexit bonus eh?

Our government said exactly the above. Along with the IMF and the BOE .
There's a few for starters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ost-if-it-left-eu-new-treasury-analysis-shows

Speaking at B&Q in Eastleigh, Hampshire, the Prime Minister and Chancellor set out the Treasury’s analysis of the impact on the nation’s economy over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave.
This analysis shows that such a decision would cause an immediate and profound economic shock across the country, creating instability and uncertainty
which would be made worse by the complex negotiations that would follow to agree the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and its new relationship with the rest of Europe.
Echoing the recent warnings from the independent Bank of England and the International Monetary Fund, the central conclusion of the Treasury’s new analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.

The analysis was based on brexit happening- as has been pointed out- brexit has not yet been fully agreed or implemented, we have merely left and are in a transition period.

Well, you would expect the economy to mirror the transition and it was. We were haemorrhaging investment and jobs before the virus.

They make mistakes, alot! but they attempt to offer both sides and thats what counts imo. People should try tv in other countries. To date the US remains the worst imo.
I have always subscribed to the theory that if the extremes of both sides are crying out that there is bias then the reality is more than likely that they are being relatively even handed.

US media is frightening. A slightly more passive version of Russian state media which makes them seem plausible until you read between the lines.

Erm we are in a recession and have unprecedented mass unemployment.

We were looking on course for recession back in jan, the virus has just made it worse.

How magnificently profound of the remain establishment to predict a pandemic.

I've gotta be honest, I thought the predictions they were making were based upon a vote to leave the European Union. If only they’d written a post-it to the incoming administration; in the vein of, ‘There’s no money left’ informing them of the impending doom.

I have noticed some slightly spiteful themes from the remain side though, so I’m not totally surprised with this.

The analysis was based on brexit happening- as has been pointed out- brexit has not yet been fully agreed or implemented, we have merely left and are in a transition period.

Well, you would expect the economy to mirror the transition and it was. We were haemorrhaging investment and jobs before the virus.

We were not haemorrhaging jobs before the virus!?! That's just been made up.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment/timeseries/mgsx/lms

You also above just said we were heading for a recession in January anyway and now your're saying that we haven't had one because Brexit hasn't been implemented.

You're like Ghandi's footwear here!

Our government said exactly the above. Along with the IMF and the BOE .
There's a few for starters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ost-if-it-left-eu-new-treasury-analysis-shows

Speaking at B&Q in Eastleigh, Hampshire, the Prime Minister and Chancellor set out the Treasury’s analysis of the impact on the nation’s economy over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave.
This analysis shows that such a decision would cause an immediate and profound economic shock across the country, creating instability and uncertainty
which would be made worse by the complex negotiations that would follow to agree the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and its new relationship with the rest of Europe.
Echoing the recent warnings from the independent Bank of England and the International Monetary Fund, the central conclusion of the Treasury’s new analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.
They were partly right.

There was a profound economic shock and the pound plummeted.

No, there was no recession; because article 50 was not triggered for nearly 9 months and companies decided to wait and see what the plans were

They were partly right.

There was a profound economic shock and the pound plummeted.

No, there was no recession; because article 50 was not triggered for nearly 9 months and companies decided to wait and see what the plans were

There was no recession after article 50 was triggered either. So that caveat isn’t required.

There was no recession after article 50 was triggered either. So that caveat isn’t required.
I know that; but the erroneous assumption was that companies would immediately jump ship.

They didn't because A50 wasn't triggered and by the time it was, the initial panic was over and they were content to wait for plans. It was actually quite good statecraft by Cameron and May

The pound fell because many believed project fear and Carney. Within weeks it had recovered most losses. The economy continued to stay robust in face of remoaners and doomsayers. Unlike the EU economy that continued in downward spiral, gdp, exports, employment and confidence. I thought history was your thing?

The pound fell because many believed project fear and Carney. Within weeks it had recovered most losses. The economy continued to stay robust in face of remoaners and doomsayers. Unlike the EU economy that continued in downward spiral, gdp, exports, employment and confidence. I thought history was your thing?

It is also humorous that the 'easiest deal in history', 'sunlit uplands', etc. are remembered enthusiastically and re-posted ad nauseam, but selective amnesia is prevalent when remembering the 'promises' the remain side made.

We are still 4 weeks away from leaving the EU on a no deal Brexit

So just hold off for a little bit

Project fear is turning into project reality with the double whammy of the world changing Covid

It is.

That is your interpretation of events and their causes. Not facts.

I think to say our economy has been "robust" is certainly open to a lot of interpretation. As is to talk about "the EU economy" as if 27 countries all shared one economy, which they do not

Status
Not open for further replies.