The government are trying their best in difficult circumstances | Page 9 | Vital Football

The government are trying their best in difficult circumstances

I love what Denmark are doing. I think they're doing it right. The original tweet looks like it is just a promise (made by big businesses) that they won't use tax havens in future if we give them the money now. That isn't right, should just cut them off and see if they survive.
If they don't it's a harsh lesson for the business, maybe they will be less likely to use the tax havens in the future? Having said that the resulting redundancies would be awful, needs to be managed.
You simply cant have it both ways and there is no option of turning back the clock.
Either you offer assistance to these companies and protect 000's of UK jobs (and potentially ratchet up there contributions for as long as it takes to recover whilst insisting the are registered and fully UK tax compliant going forwards)
Or you tell them to do one and watch those 000's of UK jobs disappear.
It's a whole lot easier to take the virtue signalling high ground if your livelihood is not one of those at risk !

I agree Hampton ........ and to be fair, Richy recognised the issue himself at the bottom of his post.

There's no question that creating thousands of redundancies is a terrible thought, but the companies have absolutely got to sort their tax arrangements - and even pay an additional contribution(based on what they've got away with) - going forward.

When all is back to (some kind of) normal, I hope the government have a damn good look at tax laws, and make damn sure that we're all - individuals, companies and corporations (especially global ones) are paying their way.

It's a relatively good news day - where's Moonay ? - Fatalities down, hospital admissions down , critical care beds increasing so nightingales placed on standby - BBC and other journos now changing tack and challenging the govt for wasting money on the cost of commissioning the Nightingales bleating on about testing numbers not applauding that yesterdays 86k demand was serviced in full and no credit for the recovery in PPE supply - an absolute disgrace from our licence fee paid for "unbiased" national broadcaster and the rest of the MSM - huge bell ends the lot of em (except Andrew Neil obvs)

It's a relatively good news day - where's Moonay ? - Fatalities down, hospital admissions down , critical care beds increasing so nightingales placed on standby -

But Johnson declared last week that we were over the peak, so surely, it's expected that infections and deaths will drop. II'll skip commenting on the Nightingales ........... OLFE has a different view on the cock up thread, which is probably a better place for my opinion.

......bleating on about testing numbers not applauding that yesterdays 86k demand was serviced in full .......

Shouldn't they be driving the demand ?

BBC and other journos now changing tack and challenging the govt for wasting money on the cost of commissioning the Nightingales ...................... and no credit for the recovery in PPE supply - an absolute disgrace from our licence fee paid for "unbiased" national broadcaster and the rest of the MSM - huge bell ends the lot of em (except Andrew Neil obvs)

I thought that we'd put this "BBC bias" rubbish to bed.

I think you're trying too hard to be offended. You're doing well though.

Oh, and seeing this is the "well done" thread:
- well done on making Burns resign
- well done on the app ........ even though the advice to still stay home begs the question of how it can act as a roll- out test
- well done on ........ thinking of coloured wristbands
- next step might be to include working with TUC on the "back to work" plan

Oh, and RIP Dave Greenfield.

But Johnson declared last week that we were over the peak, so surely, it's expected that infections and deaths will drop. II'll skip commenting on the Nightingales ........... OLFE has a different view on the cock up thread, which is probably a better place for my opinion.

- well done on the app ........ even though the advice to still stay home begs the question of how it can act as a roll- out test

Completely agree with the last statement - a genius Dave Greenfield.

On the other stuff you have seen Frances O'Grady bleating all over the BBC news and website I take it ?
Chances of the TUC being helpful in getting the country back to work - zero

100% on your last point - genius musician

As for the rest - takes deep breath :-
Boris called it right then ?
As for the TUC the approach from O'Grady is to criticise and obstruct rather than work collaboratively- note the word "draft" in the govt - doesn't seem to register !
First stop is to advise the BBC that the TUC are not in favour rather engage confidentially with the govt to arrive at an optimum solution for the benefit of the whole country

Ironic that after Sir K banged on about needing a plan his bosses now won't engage when the govt brings the requested framework draft forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52533375

Clearly an accurate account given the source!

No need for the sneering snipe at the wristbands either you are better than that 🤫

And if you doubt the overwhelming public sentiment on the check out the highest rated 20 comments on the link above

100% on your last point - genius musician

As for the rest - takes deep breath :-
Boris called it right then ?
As for the TUC the approach from O'Grady is to criticise and obstruct rather than work collaboratively- note the word "draft" in the govt - doesn't seem to register !
First stop is to advise the BBC that the TUC are not in favour rather engage confidentially with the govt to arrive at an optimum solution for the benefit of the whole country

Ironic that after Sir K banged on about needing a plan his bosses now won't engage when the govt brings the requested framework draft forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52533375

Clearly an accurate account given the source!

No need for the sneering snipe at the wristbands either you are better than that 🤫

It seems you tried to respond twice ........ I'll go with the second attempt.

Great keyboard player.
Johnson? .....Of course he was right. We've been in lockdown for a month. It had to turn.
TUC .......caring for their members ...... why wouldn't they be involved? ....... maybe they should have been involved in the "plan for a plan" that doesn't exist.
As I say ......BBC will (and should) challenge and report on all political parties. I thought we agreed they have just as many Tory supporters in the journalists and the high ups.
Wristbands......it wasn't really a snipe. I meant it. A simple idea that might work. The only snipe was trying to think of more good news.

And if you doubt the overwhelming public sentiment on the check out the highest rated 20 comments on the link above

Hampton ...... I promise you ........firstly, I will never look at the comments against an article, on the Beeb site, or any other news site ............... and if by chance, I did, then I'd certainly take bugger all notice of them.

If you think they're relevant, then you'll have to tell us what they say.

Anyway ........ Hidden Figures, Film 4, now. Brilliant.

Hampton ...... I promise you ........firstly, I will never look at the comments against an article, on the Beeb site, or any other news site ............... and if by chance, I did, then I'd certainly take bugger all notice of them.

If you think they're relevant, then you'll have to tell us what they say.

Anyway ........ Hidden Figures, Film 4, now. Brilliant.
Seen the film Moonay it is v.good 👍
The tech got the better of me in the double reply !
As for the comments - very insightful - convenient as well as they are pretty much unanimously agin your position 😉

Been to watch The Stranglers a few times over the years, they won't be the same without the genius Dave Greenfield on stage if they decide to continue.

RIP Dave Greenfield

Must admit that I am concerned that the Tracking App has been developed by mate of Cummings, with links to Vote Leave. Thought there was an Apple/Google/Alphabet app already.
Good it is being tested on the IoW.
Now (puts on tin hat) - could the Tories do the same testing thing with the IoW for Brexit 😁

Must admit that I am concerned that the Tracking App has been developed by mate of Cummings, with links to Vote Leave. Thought there was an Apple/Google/Alphabet app already.
Good it is being tested on the IoW.
Now (puts on tin hat) - could the Tories do the same testing thing with the IoW for Brexit 😁

Let’s be honest he’d hardly commission a rabid remoaner to produce one - they’d sabotage it out of political spite. Much people to go with people you can trust and rely on.

Let’s be honest he’d hardly commission a rabid remoaner to produce one - they’d sabotage it out of political spite. Much people to go with people you can trust and rely on.
Fair point
Most people do business that way
However, I am sure you would agree that Government procurement should follow the agreed rules and regulations. (Dare I say, as we are still members of the EU; EU regulations as well)
I concede that in times of emergency etc. it is possible to work around these rules (it will be in the rules and regulations)
Is the only reason to give it to a mate (Cummings hardly got mates rates for the app) one of keeping it in the 'leave' family? (rhetorical question)
Why not Apple/Google then? For example, the Government are mates with Google in the online education field. It seems the Apple/Google app is functional. The one being promoted as our 'duty' to download appears not to be functional:
  • Failed all of the tests required for inclusion in the NHS app library.
  • Failed cyber security.
  • Failed performance and clinical safety.
  • Does not give a warning until a 15 minute contact has taken place.
and that is before we get into Data Protection / GDPR

Fair point
Most people do business that way
However, I am sure you would agree that Government procurement should follow the agreed rules and regulations. (Dare I say, as we are still members of the EU; EU regulations as well)
I concede that in times of emergency etc. it is possible to work around these rules (it will be in the rules and regulations)
Is the only reason to give it to a mate (Cummings hardly got mates rates for the app) one of keeping it in the 'leave' family? (rhetorical question)
Why not Apple/Google then? For example, the Government are mates with Google in the online education field. It seems the Apple/Google app is functional. The one being promoted as our 'duty' to download appears not to be functional:
  • Failed all of the tests required for inclusion in the NHS app library.
  • Failed cyber security.
  • Failed performance and clinical safety.
  • Does not give a warning until a 15 minute contact has taken place.
and that is before we get into Data Protection / GDPR

For a starter the app is in the trial phase - the whole purpose of a trial is to iron out issues. Plus the UK one was subject to a tender process.

Why not google or apple? The UK app has other benefits that those don’t such as the ability to help health planners identify hotspots in different parts of the country and track symptoms more closely. Also we’d still have folk moaning they won’t participate because they think apple are the devil incarnate or google is evil personified and they’d never use such a company. Effectively whatever was chosen done would find summat to moan about.

It maybe that geopolitical forces or indeed poor functionality may mean we do migrate to those products - but for now we’re not.

For a starter the app is in the trial phase - the whole purpose of a trial is to iron out issues. Plus the UK one was subject to a tender process.

Why not google or apple? The UK app has other benefits that those don’t such as the ability to help health planners identify hotspots in different parts of the country and track symptoms more closely. Also we’d still have folk moaning they won’t participate because they think apple are the devil incarnate or google is evil personified and they’d never use such a company. Effectively whatever was chosen done would find summat to moan about.

It maybe that geopolitical forces or indeed poor functionality may mean we do migrate to those products - but for now we’re not.
Fine, let me know when it is safe to download.

Hopefully it will be a slow and gradual return to keep the 'R' number as low as possible.
I am sure even MP's are not daft enough to realise the severity of what a mass lifting of the lockdown could do.
Other countries have lead the way, so take the positives from each of their plans and bin anything that looks to have a negative imput.
My wife is a Hairdresser and she reckons she ain't going back until a vaccine is created.
How the fuck can barbers and hairdressers socialy distance themselves from their clients.
Friggin Doctors won't see patients at the health centre so how can it be safe to cut hair.