Coronavirus tipping point | Page 24 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

Remember, Boris with his experts and Cummings, decided to go down the Herding route for two weeks until they realised it was a shit policy for reasons stated later. You need to read again about percentage growth etc

Wow! I didn't realise that Boris Johnson and Cummings were members of this board. I'm sure they signed up to vital football just so they can read your posts and get expert advice :slap:

I am fully aware of how percentage growth etc works thanks, but your response doesn't actually answer my question of "who on this board has been taking the virus lightly?".

These figures make interesting reading.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Africa and South America seen hardly touched .It does seem like tourism and business links with China have spread this which in my view points to a longer time line than being officially told.As Nobby suggests in another thread.

While that may play a part, it's also worth bearing in mind that this virus has emerged in winter here in the northern hemisphere. With it being summer in the southern hemisphere, it would make sense that the virus isn't able to take hold as quickly in those areas.

As I understand it, it is airborne and is transmitted by sneezing, coughing and the like. It may also be transmitted by talking, as in some cases tiny droplets can be projected from the mouth.
It cannot be transmitted through the skin and the droplets need to be inhaled into the mouth or nose.
As a result, the masks were not so much against breathing in but, against projecting it.

These figures make interesting reading.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Africa and South America seen hardly touched .It does seem like tourism and business links with China have spread this which in my view points to a longer time line than being officially told.As Nobby suggests in another thread.
I think I read somewhere that the first cases have just been recorded in East Africa. I suspect it will spread like wildfire there in the areas where general health and poor sanitation are already major problems.
All we can do is pray (ok, not literally as alluded to in the God thread) for their soles as medicines and hospital care is so poor. 😥

Top Indian doctor says people are now dying in his country, temperature in his view makes no difference (Europe grasping at straws?).

Well for a country of 1.37 billion, neighbouring China, to only currently have 391 cases and 7 deaths, something's obviously been going in their favour so far.

Going by the stats on the link Chris provided above, the top 18 countries by number of cases are all in the northern hemisphere (Australia the highest southern hemisphere country). If you sort the figures by number of cases per 1m of the population, unless I've miscounted or inadvertently moved a southern hemipshere country to the northern hemisphere, then the top 46 are all in the northern hemisphere (the highest southern hemisphere country being the Seychelles). That to me doesn't look like clutching at straws.

I'm not for a moment saying summer is going to stop it from spreading completely, but I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that the spread will slow down as the weather gets hotter.

Well for a country of 1.37 billion, neighbouring China, to only currently have 391 cases and 7 deaths, something's obviously been going in their favour so far.

Going by the stats on the link Chris provided above, the top 18 countries by number of cases are all in the northern hemisphere (Australia the highest southern hemisphere country). If you sort the figures by number of cases per 1m of the population, unless I've miscounted or inadvertently moved a southern hemipshere country to the northern hemisphere, then the top 46 are all in the northern hemisphere (the highest southern hemisphere country being the Seychelles). That to me doesn't look like clutching at straws.

I'm not for a moment saying summer is going to stop it from spreading completely, but I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that the spread will slow down as the weather gets hotter.
That doesn't totally fit with the fact that Italy and Spain are much warmer than many countries that have much lower figures.
I do believe it is down to tourism and business travel.

I do believe it is down to tourism and business travel.

I don't doubt that that has played a part too. But a quick Google search shows India had 280,000 Chinese tourists in 2018 (the UK as a comparison had 391,000). There are plenty of connections between China and India in terms of trade and tourism. China is the largest source of tourists to Australia (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ecord-americans-head-down-under-idUSKCN1VW0OZ). So why are the likes of India and Australia so far behind Europe in terms of the spread of this virus?

Just my personal opinion, not based on any medical knowledge whatsoever, merely trying to take an optimistic outlook on these things, is that this will slow down in the summer for those of us in Europe, before flaring up again around October as the weather takes a turn for the worse. Hopefully by that stage, researchers will be closer to finding a vaccine, and if the ideas regarding herd immunity prove correct (and as long as the virus doesn't mutate in the mean time), then that will also help to slow things down.

That would apply to most virus's.
Flu and colds are more common in winter

Looking at the pictures on social media today of people not following advice on social distancing combined with the comments of the PM, sounds like the country is on a final warning for a lockdown. Some of the pictures from Whitstable yesterday and today simply beggars belief.

Last edited:
True "austerity" would have meant Osborne "balancing the books".
It never happened.
But he could easily have given incentives to increase UK productivity, which has been in decline since around that time, and increase wealth and expenditure/tax collections. Instead, austerity drove the economy down.
But Coronavirus loans still have to be paid back - by taxpayers
Why taxpayers if moneys are lent to companies? Tax payers will only foot the bill if loans are waived or there are defaulters.

You either finance businesses and people to keep the economy going through continued production/expenditure or you have insolvencies/dole queues with an even bigger hit to the economy.

But for once I agree with you.
One-off, temporary Coronavirus is exactly the sort of thing that a Govt. should "step in for".
But in order to be financially viable, "normal"# day-to-day Govt. spending should roughly balance.
Unfortunately a lot of Govt. spending is wasteful - or spent on the equivalent of digging a hole and re-filling it.

# Capital spending, i.e. long-term stuff like roads, building etc can justify borrowing.
What Boris was proposing in his budget - pre-coronavirus - was eye watering and based on out of date OBR data and as a consequence would have borrowed to cover revenue as well as capital expenditure.

Evidence of an actual "policy" (rather than someone answering a theoretical question) ?
Or is this another partisan theme from the anti-Conservative bubble ?
You clearly weren't watching the briefings etc early on - herd was the word.

No smart arse it was not a partisan theme and this report explains the background as to why Boris did an about turn - his [Cummings] advice could ending up costing many lives

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/17/britain-uk-coronavirus-response-johnson-drops-go-it-alone/

I suspect you came to your decision on the back of misinformation, misunderstanding and your own partisan theme from the anti-EU bubble

Looking at the pictures on social media today of people not following advice on social distancing combined with the comments of the PM, sounds like the country is on a final warning for a lockdown. Some of the pictures from Whitstable yesterday and today simply beggars belief.
Same for southend, seafront was very busy. St James' and Hyde park very busy in town too. I get the feeling that everyone has accepted a looming lockdown and are getting a last day out before it comes. It's as if they all believe they can't get it because they are outdoors ffs

Same for southend, seafront was very busy. St James' and Hyde park very busy in town too. I get the feeling that everyone has accepted a looming lockdown and are getting a last day out before it comes. It's as if they all believe they can't get it because they are outdoors ffs
Bleeding protestants

You clearly weren't watching the briefings etc early on - herd was the word.

No smart arse it was not a partisan theme and this report explains the background as to why Boris did an about turn - his [Cummings] advice could ending up costing many lives

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/17/britain-uk-coronavirus-response-johnson-drops-go-it-alone/

I suspect you came to your decision on the back of misinformation, misunderstanding and your own partisan theme from the anti-EU bubble
As usual 'dick head', your link makes my point.

It is a report by some journalist claiming (mis-understanding?) that some Govt. scientists were actively advocating 'herd immunity' as a 'policy'.....
.....which makes no sense - as scientists use 'herd immunity' to describe a natural phenomenon.

If you can produce the Govt. 'manifesto' that declares as a POLICY 'herd immunity' please do so.

As usual 'dick head', your link makes my point.

It is a report by some journalist claiming (mis-understanding?) that some Govt. scientists were actively advocating 'herd immunity' as a 'policy'.....
.....which makes no sense - as scientists use 'herd immunity' to describe a natural phenomenon.

If you can produce the Govt. 'manifesto' that declares as a POLICY 'herd immunity' please do so.
You'll have to speak to Bert Cummings or watch Boris' statements on TV, which clearly expound the virtues of herd immunity