Coronavirus tipping point | Page 23 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

Apparently (and believeably) true story.

Somewhere in The Met;

An Inspector, during a training day, has just delivered a somewhat apocalyptic speech about COVID-19 and the devastating effect it could have on the public and the way policing is delivered.
He finishes with the obligatory "any questions" and some clown PC at the back shouts "What time is refs?*"

It's all about priorities people 😁

*refreshment break, just in case you hadn't guessed.

Such a simple picture, but it has really had an affect on me. I live with my elderly parents and daughter who is diabetic. I'm really struggling with deciding whether to move out so I can carry on working or risk bringing it home to them and losing all of them. I know what I should do, but if I'm not at home I can't look after them. Feeling over whelmed at the moment :(

Apparently (and believeably) true story.

Somewhere in The Met;

An Inspector, during a training day, has just delivered a somewhat apocalyptic speech about COVID-19 and the devastating effect it could have on the public and the way policing is delivered.
He finishes with the obligatory "any questions" and some clown PC at the back shouts "What time is refs?*"

It's all about priorities people 😁

*refreshment break, just in case you hadn't guessed.

Yes reminds me of the first meeting between Spike Miligan and harry Secombe in the desert in WW2

large artillery piece rolls over a cliff Milligan sticks his head out over the edge see knows been hurt and yells "anyone seen a gun". To which Secombe replies "why what colour is it?".

Such a simple picture, but it has really had an affect on me. I live with my elderly parents and daughter who is diabetic. I'm really struggling with deciding whether to move out so I can carry on working or risk bringing it home to them and losing all of them. I know what I should do, but if I'm not at home I can't look after them. Feeling over whelmed at the moment :(

Tough call Teg and puts my much smaller dilemmas into perspective. Whichever way you go there's a message board full of fools willing you on.
❤️

Good luck Teg, stay safe 😪

I have two vulnerable people at home too. I've had the house in lockdown for three weeks now. I have bottles of 70% alcohol, which I wipe down the house with at least once a day. When I come home from work or the shop, I go straight into the shower and my clothes go into the washing machine. The virus can stay on your clothes for up to 12 hours, and on surfaces for to to nine days! I always have either the cloth with alcohol on it, or disinfectant wipes when I go shopping and when I arrive at work, never touching anything with my hands. I wipe down cards that I use, and my keys and the inside of the car when I go out, and when I get back. There's a lot of advice in the NHS site, or the British Lung Foundation site. It can be safe to go out, but you just have to be careful what you bring back.

It can't be easy for you and sadly you are not alone. Sadly also there are some on here who are making light of it; it couldn't happen here they say despite the Govt. upping its rules everyday since Dominic Cummings changed his mind. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes and right now sympathy is not enough.

It can't be easy for you and sadly you are not alone. Sadly also there are some on here who are making light of it; it couldn't happen here they say despite the Govt. upping its rules everyday since Dominic Cummings changed his mind. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes and right now sympathy is not enough.

Who do you believe is making light of it? I don't think I've seen anyone do that on here.

Just read some of the comments

I have read the comments and I've not really seen anyone make light of it which is why I am asking who you are referring to. I've not seen anyone comment that "it couldn't happen here they say despite the Govt. upping its rules everyday since Dominic Cummings changed his mind. "

Or do you mean those who have expressed the general opinion that they will trust that Professor Chris Whitty is giving the government good advice and will look to follow the guidelines rather than like yourself who seemed to spend half the time complaining that Boris isn't doing enough and should be copying Italy or China or other countries?

I have two vulnerable people at home too. I've had the house in lockdown for three weeks now. I have bottles of 70% alcohol, which I wipe down the house with at least once a day. When I come home from work or the shop, I go straight into the shower and my clothes go into the washing machine. The virus can stay on your clothes for up to 12 hours, and on surfaces for to to nine days! I always have either the cloth with alcohol on it, or disinfectant wipes when I go shopping and when I arrive at work, never touching anything with my hands. I wipe down cards that I use, and my keys and the inside of the car when I go out, and when I get back. There's a lot of advice in the NHS site, or the British Lung Foundation site. It can be safe to go out, but you just have to be careful what you bring back.
Starting to really hit home with us here too.

Some of you may remember I became a grandfather just before Xmas. Well, my son and daughter in law have decided that now she’s at home anyway and he’s been told to work from home, they are going to stay fully self isolated so they keep the little un fully protected.

Very sensible really seeing as I work on the road visiting multiple customers, daughter in hospitality and also many contacts.

Been used to having our weekly Sunday dinner family get together and midweek meets too. That’s all just changed for the foreseeable future. Mrs is naturally a tad upset.

Stay safe everyone. Need to get to the other side whenever that may be.

I have read the comments and I've not really seen anyone make light of it which is why I am asking who you are referring to. I've not seen anyone comment that "it couldn't happen here they say despite the Govt. upping its rules everyday since Dominic Cummings changed his mind. "

Or do you mean those who have expressed the general opinion that they will trust that Professor Chris Whitty is giving the government good advice and will look to follow the guidelines rather than like yourself who seemed to spend half the time complaining that Boris isn't doing enough and should be copying Italy or China or other countries?
Remember, Boris with his experts and Cummings, decided to go down the Herding route for two weeks until they realised it was a shit policy for reasons stated later. You need to read again about percentage growth etc

That is total bollocks. There was not “huge” government debt. In fact government debt was around the mid range of debt for countries in the G8 at the end of the financial crisis.
"Other countries" is not the only measure.
Look how the Med. countries and Ireland had huge Govt. deficits - had no capacity to manage the "shock" - Govt bond yields shot up - and they had to be bailed out with massive international loans.

Govt debt has to be paid back eventually.
Meanwhile debt interest has to be paid - and (fixed) rates in the late noughties were not as low as now.

More important was that Labour's annual deficit was increasing.
IIRC, the last three Labour years had annual deficits of:
£ 105 billion
£ 120 billion
£ 145 billion
...with £170 billion deficit planned for 2010/11 (or was it 2011/12?) ... which the coalition reduced - a bit.

Which based on total Govt spending at the time of something under £700 billion p.a. was a HUGE deficit - year after year.

The relevance today is .....
The additional borrowing for Coronavirus is clearly a one-off - for a few months - until the productive part of the economy (i.e. not the Govt.) can start making profits again - and pay taxes.

But Coronavirus loans still have to be paid back - by taxpayers.

And no doubt you believed that austerity was the right policy; coronavirus aside, Boris' budget would have meant eye watering amounts of debt compared with anything in the past, although dwarfed by the sums Trump has accumulated.

Maybe but it will probably be less than if the Govt hadn't stepped in; the loans, subsidies and grants etc the Govt is giving will keep the economy ticking over, ie people will spend if only on loo rolls. Otherwise, businesses would go bust big time and many workers would be on the dole. What is the lesser of two evils - it's a no brainer
True "austerity" would have meant Osborne "balancing the books".
It never happened.

But for once I agree with you.
One-off, temporary Coronavirus is exactly the sort of thing that a Govt. should "step in for".
But in order to be financially viable, "normal"# day-to-day Govt. spending should roughly balance.
Unfortunately a lot of Govt. spending is wasteful - or spent on the equivalent of digging a hole and re-filling it.

# Capital spending, i.e. long-term stuff like roads, building etc can justify borrowing.

Remember, Boris with his experts and Cummings, decided to go down the Herding route for two weeks until they realised it was a shit policy for reasons stated later. You need to read again about percentage growth etc
Evidence of an actual "policy" (rather than someone answering a theoretical question) ?
Or is this another partisan theme from the anti-Conservative bubble ?