Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 38 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

I actually think we'd be safe now if we'd had a decent striker but the fact is we never and the games we could have taken something went begging and now its too late the rot has set in and the conference has drained away
Blimey 57 "conference". Thats a Freudian slip of huge proportions. Dont think we will sink that low.

Yes they were saying on Sky yesterday that we had 'conceded' 50 more shots than any other side in the league - that is appalling and tells you all you need to know about why we are in the shite.
50?? Bloody hell I knew it was bad but....
Seems a lot of clarity on here since yesterday...
Do wonder what the owners think. Will they go to wemberley?

That wasn't the point of the question. The point is we couldn't just sign 4 30m or players. We had to sign 11 players because we didn't even have the bare bones of a squad. Every Villa fan knew this. Sam Allardyce didn't because he didn't bother to even look at our situation before spouting off yet now he's being held up as some prescient genius who knew exactly what we needed.

4 quality players plus jack, McGinn, would have given us more quality from back to front. We were one of the top spenders so still could have bought one or two cheapos in as we did. We have no quality to support Jack at all. Who’s fault is that if not Smiths?

We have no quality to support Jack at all. Who’s fault is that if not Smiths?

Lad I am all for Deano being replaced after yesterdays performance but you can't blame the man for recruitment when is but one cog in a larger machine.

Even yesterday I can't lay 100% at Deano's feet because he shouldn't have to be screaming at his own players to win the second balls and fucking fight.

They've lost all belief, they've lost belief in his tactics and his way of playing because it isn't bringing results and they don't think they can win. Conceding is inevitable, we're beaten before we even set foot on the pitch. This is where the case of keeping Whelan and one or two others is strong and I never thought I'd be one of the first to say it here.

4 quality players plus jack, McGinn, would have given us more quality from back to front. We were one of the top spenders so still could have bought one or two cheapos in as we did. We have no quality to support Jack at all. Who’s fault is that if not Smiths?

So we sign 4 quality players. Presumably at least 3 of them are centre backs seeing as Chester can't play. So then we sign one other. What position? Midfield? A wide player seeing as we'd only got Andre Green? But then that leaves us relying on Kodjia and Davis up top. Of course we still have to play Taylor week in week out at left back. And obviously we won't have any injuries whatsoever because we're just that lucky.

Lad I am all for Deano being replaced after yesterdays performance but you can't blame the man for recruitment when is but one cog in a larger machine.

Even yesterday I can't lay 100% at Deano's feet because he shouldn't have to be screaming at his own players to win the second balls and fucking fight.

They've lost all belief, they've lost belief in his tactics and his way of playing because it isn't bringing results and they don't think they can win. Conceding is inevitable, we're beaten before we even set foot on the pitch. This is where the case of keeping Whelan and one or two others is strong and I never thought I'd be one of the first to say it here.

I’m talking about Smith having the final responsibility for recruitment here CDX. If he doesn’t have the final say he should walk out. After all it’s his head on the block. He’d got enough credit in the bank to be strong enough to say yes or no. I don’t buy into him not being ultimately responsible for the buys. What about El Ghazi, Mings, Hause, Jota ( a player across the road). He had a good look at them or are you saying he didn’t want them? We have no idea about the others but If he’s daft enough to leave it all to a Purslow and Suso he deserves the consequences.

He wasn't screaming at them though. I looked at him several times in the second half and he was just standing looking forlorn.

I’m talking about Smith having the final responsibility for recruitment here CDX.

I get what you're saying now. I guess its just a thing it's hard to know what the reality is. Even if it is the case (and it probably is) I do still find it hard to lay all the blame his way but that doesn't mean I don't think he should go.

So we sign 4 quality players. Presumably at least 3 of them are centre backs seeing as Chester can't play. So then we sign one other. What position? Midfield? A wide player seeing as we'd only got Andre Green? But then that leaves us relying on Kodjia and Davis up top. Of course we still have to play Taylor week in week out at left back. And obviously we won't have any injuries whatsoever because we're just that lucky.

haha! You might sign three centre backs a la MON I would prefer one commanding centre back, 1 midfield and two forwards. As I said earlier this still leaves room for two or three 5m players to fill in. What’s wrong with that? We’ve bought God knows how many and none of them are up to the job at this level.

He wasn't screaming at them though. I looked at him several times in the second half and he was just standing looking forlorn.
He was in the first half - he was screaming to win second balls. I wasnt watching on some online stream I have NBC it was a quality broadcast.

Second half yes he was looking on without a clue but he was screaming at other points, notably for some challenge we didnt win.

To be honest we needed a new team as I said but we still kept the like Lansbury Chester Hourihane Taylor Elmo etc who weren't good enough I'd have got rid of those as well but we needed a few premier league cast-offs to replace them. plus who the fuck would buy them on the wages they are on.
This is all hindsight to me I thought the recruitment "team" might know a player when they saw one and they may well do but we needed players for now not two seasons time
Yes it now seems similar to not just Fulham but the Tim sher wood ' three Jordans and gana' team. in fact i thought Richards and lesscot (spit) were the experience we needed at the time. It was an abomination...but one or two have cut it since abroad and yes square pass Westwood is at burnley. There is an argument that this lot are not as talented minus JG.

the problem is when smith took over from bruce who he thought had a built a squad to get us up but we all knew most of is buys wouldn't cut it in the premiership plus the ones still here taylor lansbury houriane name a few so we had start from scratch and we all know descent english players cost the earth look at targetts price saw us coming and mings is he really worth 25 million we paid no wesley another bad choice we need to look at our youth set up why aren't any of them good enough to fight for places in the first team .

4 quality players as opposed to zero quality players would give a spine to a team.

agree with this. We survived when we had benteke, Delph, concrete Ron as our spine. The spine goes and we go down.

we should have bought a quality spine to compliment Jack, with enough money spare for cheaper squad players.

this was achievable with the money we spent.

always going to be a risk whenever you buy players.... out risks were not calculated enough.

I get what you're saying now. I guess its just a thing it's hard to know what the reality is. Even if it is the case (and it probably is) I do still find it hard to lay all the blame his way but that doesn't mean I don't think he should go.

If he doesn’t carry ultimate responsibility I guess we could be in the strange situation of keeping Dean and sacking Suso. Having said that Suso should go too and possibly Purslow for overseeing such a shambles of a recruitment campaign.