Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 36 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

I like the Villa on Tour stuff. Young lads seemingly carving out a business for themselves. Good luck to them I say.

If someone has had a pop at them then that is very poor.

Some fans do puzzle me . Yesterday there was a steady flow of people in our row going up and down to the concourse. Had to move out of the way for one bloke at 53 minutes. - What did he do at half time ? Unless they needed to "take" something !!!!

I'm like you mate I don't really drink and I go to watch the game but something that wrangles me are pissheads the whole matchday revolve around it. why not just go to the pub an let people who want to go to the game have the tickets it's far cheaper

Reina getting a lot of stick after 1 bad game sums us up. Look back in his thread & a lot of people now saying how bad he is we’re lording him only a couple of weeks ago.
He is not the problem at all in fact Heaton, Mings & himself are probably the only 2 decent signing’s we’ve made since McGinn.
We made massive mistakes in the summer & that is what will relegate us no matter who was in charge. Let me ask this is Guilbert an improvement on Hutton? Are Luiz & Nakamba improvements on Whelan & Jedinak? Yes their younger but are they better? Not really.
Now imagine keeping them for 12 months & spending the money they cost on a quality CB, LB and Winger, we would be in a totally different position now.

Don't get me wrong I like Mings but he makes his name with last-ditch blocks and stuff like that a bit like a poor mans JT but we need a couple of proper CB's who read the game and stop the crosses and shot happening in the first place, the fecking keeper is there to block any shots that do come in.
I think we've conceded if that's the right word the most shots against in this league and therefore the most goals as well
Mings is pretty overrated. He's a decent player, for us he's a good player for where we are at, but he is positionally very suspect and has to rely on recovery pace and last ditch blocks to make up for it.

He also has a bewildering decision making process on the ball, often holding on to it for far too long or bizarrely cutting back onto his weaker right foot.

I said at the end of the summer that it was a mistake in letting Jedinak, Whelan and Hutton go all at the same time. For all their limitations they had two things that nobody else had... Genuine Premier League Experience and Toughness. The way Whelan was playing in the second half of last season he'd walk into this team. Mings is talking about the team having to "unite" - yet with any of those three in the dressing room the kids wouldn't have a choice or they'd be strung up...
They were also crap at that level let alone the PL

Look at where they are now. Whelan couldn't hack it in the Scottish league and is now at Fleetwood. No one wanted Hutton and he's decided to retire. Jedinak is still without a club and has been using our facilities to train.

Would any of them have been able to play in this league at the pace it is now even as a sub? I doubt it. The mistake wasn't letting 3 players who are past it go. The mistake was not bringing in another one or two with good premier league experience in to replace them. Another couple of Heaton like signings and we might have been much better off. Easier said than done if course.

I said at the end of last season we needed a completely new team only Jack and SJM were ever going to be good enough. Like you say our mistake was not bringing in a few old heads who were not past it just yet, in hindsight Cahill Drinkwater and Giroud would have been perfect in august

Yep agree, nobody comes out of yesterday's no show with any credit but Mings was the 'pick' of our back 5, if u can call it that! Not convinced about Hause at all, distribution in particular is woeful and just watch his lack of response to Long's run in front of him for the first goal....sums up everything that was depressing about yesterday's performance. Lack of desire, awareness...you name it...we lacked it!

Hause may be bad but he’s the best defensive header of the ball out of all of them. Not saying much I know but you can’t say Dean hadn’t had a good look at him.

Hause may be bad but he’s the best defensive header of the ball out of all of them. Not saying much I know but you can’t say Dean hadn’t had a good look at him.

I thought 3m was a bargain for him. Good back up and can play left back as well. Didn't expect he'd be playing every week though. Not quite good enough for this level. Unfortunately "not quite" is a big gap nowadays and will cost you.

Same with a lot of our players unfortunately. Most are young enough that they will improve and gain more consistency. Should we survive this year I can see us getting stronger every season. We just need to scrape it this season.

He doesn't lose many headers that's for sure and he's physically the strongest too, just looks clumsy but left-footed players always stand out as awkward, I don't mean that as an insult just that right-footed players look more natural as they are in the majority

Looks like the much-maligned Fat Sam was right 3 or, 4 quality players, not 13 mediocre ones and take it to January and get another one

Totally right! We’ve done exactly the same as last time, a bunch of complete unknowns, novices instead of quality. Quantity over quality and the only quality we seem to be left with is the only one we had in the first place.
I said before the January window I’d get Sam in and I’d still do it now. As for Purslow, Suso, smith and Terry, complete failure of competency.

Looks like the much-maligned Fat Sam was right 3 or, 4 quality players, not 13 mediocre ones and take it to January and get another one

He was talking uninformed bollocks trying to wind fans up.

Steer, Nyland, kalinic

Taylor, Chester (injured), Elmo, Freddy

Jack, Mcginn, Lansbury, Hourihane

Green

Davis, Kodjia

Name the 4 players who se could sign for the money we could spend that would keep that squad up. Bearing in mind we've no fit senior centre halves.

We had to sign the amount of players we did. Unfortuna but its true. I agree we needed more experience and agree that Cahill, Drinkwater and Giroud would have all been good signings that we could have got on the budget we had. But we could not just sign 3 or 4 top quality players in the summer and leave it at that. Unless we played Kalinic at centre half.

The team has got progressively worse through the season and results and performances against teams around us have been abject. Watford away was a shocker but yesterday appalling. What a sad and sorry state of affairs. I like Dean and I’m sure the players do but yesterday they sold him down the river.

The thing I cannot understand for the life of me is that we started so well and on the front foot vs spurs last week but froze yesterday against a team much worse. Play like we did in the first half an hour last week yesterday and we probably go a goal or two up. Instead we start cold and basically shoot ourselves in the foot.

I like the Villa on Tour stuff. Young lads seemingly carving out a business for themselves. Good luck to them I say.

If someone has had a pop at them then that is very poor.

Some fans do puzzle me . Yesterday there was a steady flow of people in our row going up and down to the concourse. Had to move out of the way for one bloke at 53 minutes. - What did he do at half time ? Unless they needed to "take" something !!!!

Yeah I’m not knocking them, I’ve no problem with it as they’re just young lads at the end of the day. Personally prefer The Villa View stuff on YouTube but each to their own. I know there’s some good money to be made from YouTube, a blues fan I work with knows ‘Davo’ who now actually works for the club because of his videos but prior to that was making some decent money from it. Bet those Arsenal videos make some money too.

He was talking uninformed bollocks trying to wind fans up.

Steer, Nyland, kalinic

Taylor, Chester (injured), Elmo, Freddy

Jack, Mcginn, Lansbury, Hourihane

Green

Davis, Kodjia

Name the 4 players who se could sign for the money we could spend that would keep that squad up. Bearing in mind we've no fit senior centre halves.

We had to sign the amount of players we did. Unfortuna but its true. I agree we needed more experience and agree that Cahill, Drinkwater and Giroud would have all been good signings that we could have got on the budget we had. But we could not just sign 3 or 4 top quality players in the summer and leave it at that. Unless we played Kalinic at centre half.

You’ve just answered your own question starting with Cahill et al. You just can’t blow 130m on a whim, a gamble.
As for Big Sam, of course he was right. So were all the people saying we were doing a Fulham. Our defence is a shambles and to my mind Marv is a headless chicken. Trez tries, el ghazi has talent but not the attitude and Douglas at 21 has potential but is not ready to be a saviour. And just because they’re young does not mean they’re ever going to be good enough for the PL.

The team has got progressively worse through the season and results and performances against teams around us have been abject. Watford away was a shocker but yesterday appalling. What a sad and sorry state of affairs. I like Dean and I’m sure the players do but yesterday they sold him down the river.

Agree with you about the performances however disagree fully with the players liking him, if that was the case we would be much higher in the league and surely would not have put in the kind of performance we did yesterday at a time when we had to beat them considering where we are this season and who we have left to play. We needed to beat Saints and West Ham to have any hope of staying up, and we gave our worst performance of the season against one of those. Maybe our worst is yet to come and I say that because just when you think we have shown our worst the Villa shows us another level of worse !

Last edited: