Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 40 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

Our latest master plan tactic seems to be either Mings or Reina launching raking diagonal neck high balls to the full backs on the halfway line . They either fail to control the ball or if they do get it down under control are immediately pressured into going backwards as nobody shows for an offensive move. We are incapable of playing through the middle

Our latest master plan tactic seems to be either Mings or Reina launching raking diagonal neck high balls to the full backs on the halfway line . They either fail to control the ball or if they do get it down under control are immediately pressured into going backwards as nobody shows for an offensive move. We are incapable of playing through the middle

yes we used to do that under Bruce as well, I've really never bought this way of playing, goals get scored in the middle no out on the wing.
I find you score more goals aiming at them.

You do realise why we are doing it , it's because it worked once against Spurs so now it's the tactic

We need to get Jack in the middle till Mcginn is back at least. Bring him into a midfield 3 and play either Baston or El Ghazi with Samatta. There'll be less need for the back line to launch it if there's someone who can carry the ball forward. Once Mcginn is fit we can then play Jack off Samatta. Or give Davis a go and keep Jack in the middle.

We need to get Jack in the middle till Mcginn is back at least. Bring him into a midfield 3 and play either Baston or El Ghazi with Samatta. There'll be less need for the back line to launch it if there's someone who can carry the ball forward. Once Mcginn is fit we can then play Jack off Samatta. Or give Davis a go and keep Jack in the middle.

would 100% give Davis a go when he’s fit.

As for el ghazie wouldn’t be bothered if I never saw him in a villa shirt again after that pathetic show yesterday.

Saw Dan mention me in a comment about a minority of Villa fans kicking off at me and the other Villa on Tour boys yesterday. Don't want to say too much as its going to be dealt with at club level. Despite rumours on Twitter, Max or any of us wasn't physically attacked, rather just some pretty strong verbal abuse and aggression show towards us for absolutely no reason by firstly a guy in the seats, secondly a guy in the toilets at half time. This led to 2 of my mates being ejected for their 'own safety', and also resulted in Max and myself having to move seats to get away. In the end, Max didn't film his usual Vlog and really did spoil our weekend in Southampton.

He's possibly the nicest, normal young lad you would meet, my absolute best mate and some people dislike what he does but it literally affects nobody and sometimes people don't realise what words and abuse like that does to somebody. We've just got back from Southampton but didn't turn out to be a pleasant weekend.
I'm glad you weren't physically attacked but that's still a really shitty thing they did. I watch Villa On Tour a lot, especially when we win, and as you say Max and everyone else come across as really nice people. I hope the club supports you and the vlogs are back ASAP.

I'm glad you weren't physically attacked but that's still a really shitty thing they did. I watch Villa On Tour a lot, especially when we win, and as you say Max and everyone else come across as really nice people. I hope the club supports you and the vlogs are back ASAP.

Watched a few of his videos before and nice to get perspective from them, seems like a nice decent lad and bloody loves the Villa, shame to hear some dick head section of our fans have caused him grief, guess every club has the fair share of dick heads that can't handle their beer.

He wasn't screaming at them though. I looked at him several times in the second half and he was just standing looking forlorn.

Trust me, for large parts of the game the voice you could hear, almost on a par with the commentator's, was Deano bawling and swearing at the players, proper effing and blinding stuff.

I don't imagine the modern player (at this level at least) is much up for having a fat no-name brummy effing and blinding at them in public so if he hasn't lost them already he will have yesterday IMO, some of them at least.

If you think he knocked it on the head in the second half then you may be right - I wouldn't be at all surprised if the broadcasters had a word with him at half time or killed the mic that was on the floor to his right rear.

I don't see how DS pulls this back from here - his job I mean, relegation looks a foregone.

@Wicked Messenger It's easier to change one man than an entire team or senior management. I think there is a lot of shared responsibility for this mess - I don't know who is available but I think with what is at stake Deano has to be the fall guy and should go.

We have to keep Grealish at all costs tbh, he is the difference between struggling for another 5 years and skipping over struggle. The guy is so good we don't even need to have a fully competent team around him our current situation is proof. Just a little bit of quality around him would be amazing, we should be bottom of the table and the only reason we aren't is because we have him. If we had Palace's squad with Jack playing we'd probably be where Sheffield United are.

So basically what I am saying is while I don't agree the result is the same. He deserves to go on performances not on recruitment.

There's absolutely zero chance of any of the slimy, shiny suits above DS taking the fall - they'll all knife him for sure.

I think there's a 5% chance that Jack will be here next season mate tbh, he may not be the brightest kid around but I'm sure he's bright enough to realise that he could very easily p*ss his career away at VP waiting for the club to get their sh*t together. There's very little chance of that within five years IMO and he'll be 30 by then - he's gotta go, it's insane not to, love the club or not.

With Grealish stuck out wide we have no middle. Well, only players that pass straight to the opposition anyway.

Agree. But 11th 6th 6th 6th. A cup final and SF in the same season. 6 players in the England squad.If Smith did that some people would want him knighted.
You forgot he won fuck all , near bankrupted the club doing it then did the dirty on us a week before the season. A vile horrible little egotistical twat who I despise more than anyone we have ever employed, left in the shit for years. The thought of him makes me vomit

We could be playing in Europe next year. Just saying.
Yep. If everything clicks for us in training this week, players get their act together and we shock Man City at Wembley, and then manage to stay up, we could be lined up for one of the most exciting seasons in decades next year.

It's not just us. A few comments in the press,(check the Daily Mail on Line for more), about the game.
"Southampton overran Villa who lacked heart and struggled with the basics."
" A tendency to overplay at the back."
"....a disorganised defence relied on last ditch lunges and poor finishing to keep the score respectable."
"In front of the shaky Spaniard, Tyrone Mings had the air of a captain going down with his sinking ship."
"In midfield, the lightweight pairing of Douglas Luiz and Marvelous Nakamba were outwitted by Hojbjeg and Smallbone, a 20 year old academy product making his Premier League debut."
It goes on but you get the picture. I know it's in the much and deservedly reviled Mail, but I can't argue with any of the above.

Indeed it could but on the other hand if we defy the odds, perform well and don’t disgrace ourselves, it could provide us with a big fillip and a bit of confidence could be restored......with the rollercoaster that we’re having, who knows what’ll be happening this time next week.
I hope beyond hope, that your right Langoe, but I just don't see it...... I personally think we are relegated already and no hopes next weekend.... but have my fingers , toes and everything else crossed looking for a miracle...