January 2020 Transfer target speculation and fantasies | Page 81 | Vital Football

January 2020 Transfer target speculation and fantasies

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
Only concern is how desperate Benfica are to get rid of Gedson.

We made a 35 mill bid for him in the summer and they turned us down flat.

He's a b2b midfielder, has played on the right, left and middle and his scouting report emphasis's his defensive abilities, BUT the one big doubt is his physicality in the Prem.

As Muttley says above, the concern must be whether he's fully back on track after his injury, if he's not, it might explain why it's such an odd loan period as it may well be we'll have to be very patient with him (something Spurs fans aren't good at). He was our alternative to Fernandes last summer and is believed to be one of the best up and coming Portuguese players in their league.

Once again, this will be a loan with an option to buy. The loan fee is a very chunky one.

We made a 35 mill bid for him in the summer and they turned us down flat.

He's a b2b midfielder, has played on the right, left and middle and his scouting report emphasis's his defensive abilities, BUT the one big doubt is his physicality in the Prem.

As Muttley says above, the concern must be whether he's fully back on track after his injury, if he's not, it might explain why it's such an odd loan period as it may well be we'll have to be very patient with him (something Spurs fans aren't good at). He was our alternative to Fernandes last summer and is believed to be one of the best up and coming Portuguese players in their league.

Once again, this will be a loan with an option to buy. The loan fee is a very chunky one.
It's where we're at i'm afraid. Ryan & Gedson are both good young prospects who have the capability to push on & do well at a bigger club. I doubt either will be an immediate fix so patience will be key.

And for the negatives amongst you:

If Gedson gets done (loan, then £40 mill perm deal) last 5 signings:

Ndombele £56m
Lo Celso £38m ( when complete of 14,5 = loan fee + 23 mill purchase fee)
Sessegnon £30m
Clarke £10m (future punt)
Fernandes £40m (loan +option to buy)

Considering Sanchez was our previous record at £42m. It’s become clearer that we are now shopping at a higher level player.

Of course, we have some overall spending to make up for...

Ndombele £56m
Sessegnon £30m

Considering Sanchez was our previous record at £42m. It’s become clearer that we are now shopping at a higher level player.

It's a step in the right direction but as we have seen doesn't enable us to compete with the elite.....yet. Hopefully the spend trend continues to increase.

Ndombele £56m
Sessegnon £30m

Of course we should acknowledge that, even though partially dictated by the market and our own circumstances.

Still waiting to find the type of bargain that MOST of the teams below us are able to uncover.

I don't think it's so much 'negative', it more 'critical' of failing to capitalise on the momentum by neglecting over 18 months. The fix will cost and take time.

Ndombele £56m
Sessegnon £30m

And not one of them has made a blind bit of difference lol !

£ 134 mil by your reckoning already spent and here we are mid table and in a right mess.

It's where we're at i'm afraid. Ryan & Gedson are both good young prospects who have the capability to push on & do well at a bigger club. I doubt either will be an immediate fix so patience will be key.

It’s not but we have to be realistic.

We need 6/7 players and not all of them can be massive money signings.

This has the potential to be a smart move with a low risk

But we are pretty poor at scouting rough diamonds currently

And not one of them has made a blind bit of difference lol !

£ 134 mil by your reckoning already spent and here we are mid table and in a right mess.

Sadly, we have to be patient. When we buy players (even when under pressure) we buy them NOT has a short term fix but what they bring overall - every single new buy is a gamble, sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don't - our 'success' rate is no worse and no better than any other club in our position.

You have to look at both sides of the equation. The outgoing side has been a major factor why money hasn't been spent.

1) We got £45m for Walker 3 years ago and only really sold Trips for >£20m since. The rest run their contract down and are walking for next to nothing. You could argue that what might have been close to £200m of player valuations that are closer to £50m now. Compare that to other clubs e.g. Leicester who created a transfer budget by selling one player for big money for 4 consecutive seasons.
2) We had gone through a great run from 2013-2017 of selling academy players. We topped up our kitty from Caulker, Livermore, Townsend, Pritchard, Mason, Carroll etc and that revenue stream just stopped dead for these last 2 or 3 years.

Putting the 2 things together has had a major impact on our spending capacity. I'm pleased to see some net spending forming and really interested to see the run-rate in these next few years. I'm also thinking that KWP leaving might bring some confidence back in the contribution of the academy. The icing on the cake is getting top 4 first teamers, but the bread and butter is topping up the transfer budget.

It’s not but we have to be realistic.

We need 6/7 players and not all of them can be massive money signings.

This has the potential to be a smart move with a low risk

But we are pretty poor at scouting rough diamonds currently

We were. But since our new head scout has taken the reins, he's done exceptionally well in identifying the three/four players that he has and getting them over the lone, but admittedly, so far injuries have played against us - but by the end of next season we'll all probably be amazed at their abilities and their impact.

It's a shame about NDombele and Lo Celso because if they'd hit the ground running I think they would have helped us to transform the way we'd been playing.

We were. But since our new head scout has taken the reins, he's done exceptionally well in identifying the three/four players that he has and getting them over the lone, but admittedly, so far injuries have played against us - but by the end of next season we'll all probably be amazed at their abilities and their impact.

It's a shame about NDombele and Lo Celso because if they'd hit the ground running I think they would have helped us to transform the way we'd been playing.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Poch's tenure was done, and those injuries helped Levy make a very difficult decision.

our 'success' rate is no worse and no better than any other club in our position.

C'mon Ex, that's a strange thing to say. So if we continue the slide (bear in mind, partly due to the mediocre signings), we move the goal posts and soon be comparing ourselves to Bournmouths of this world. We were regular top 4 and now we compare ourselves to?.....

PS., and there's 80 reminding me on every match thread that our stadium capacity is higher than every opposition we face!

C'mon Ex, that's a strange thing to say. So if we continue the slide (bear in mind, partly due to the mediocre signings), we move the goal posts and soon be comparing ourselves to Bournmouths of this world. We were regular top 4 and now we compare ourselves to?.....

PS., and there's 80 reminding me on every match thread that our stadium capacity is higher than every opposition we face!

I was of course comparing us to other top 4/6 clubs - not the Bournemouth's of this world.

And yes of course 80 is correct, but since we've only just moved in, we are not yet enjoying the full effect of our increased rev's - but it's beginning to show in who we are shopping for...

Eriksen's agent has agreed a deal with Inter. Down to Ericksen to say yes and when i.e. now or June, I can't see us wanting to hold onto him, but the player supposedly is waiting to see what RM's response to the news is before deciding.

Personally, I can't see RM touching now, but you never know.

I just wish we could get rid of the bad eggs in the camp this window, I don't feel we can move forward as a group until this happens.

I also wonder if the new signings and promoted up kids are uncomfortable in what must be a split camp.

Agreed. It's our biggest problem from a squad management POV now. Poch was fighting it to the bitter end, and he lost.

I just wish we could get rid of the bad eggs in the camp this window, I don't feel we can move forward as a group until this happens.

I also wonder if the new signings and promoted up kids are uncomfortable in what must be a split camp.

If he wants to hang around 'til summer, then I'd do an Ade on him. Even more so if we are recruiting this windows.

When we complete this loan unless Lo celso is done we can’t loan in anyone else.

The two player loan rule only applies to other PL clubs - I'm not sure there is any limit to overseas players on loan - except of course we have to abide by the general home-grown rules.

With regards to the bad eggs, are we talking just 3 at the moment? Eriksen, Rose and Vertonghen.

Don't know who else would be creating a divided camp to be honest.