Racism | Page 3 | Vital Football

Racism

There is a YouTube clip where fans are shouting cheating wa--nker and cheating c--t but no racist content . The club rules state no racist or obscene chanting. Calling someone those words is pretty bad, I know it's part of football culture but there are kids around and its pretty base behaviour.
Perhaps “I say sir, that was jolly unsporting” would be preferable but the current expletives have been in use as long as I have been going to football matches.

I think the idea of trying to stop a whole stand chanting that the referee , or some cheating bloke , enjoys a five knuckle shuffle is dead in the water . It’s inherent , and whilst it may not be nice , I cannot see any club ejecting five thousand people over it .
The other chant picked up on you tube , whilst both “cheating “ and “tnuc” aren’t nice , sadly in this case , both are true when directed at Rudiger IMO .
He did cheat in an effort to exaggerate the situation , let’s be honest......
I feel sad that there may be youngsters around that can hear that , but I’m also sad that the same youngsters can also see that sort of behaviour , and be influenced by it . Its cheating and petulance on trial here .
Nobody in that situation comes out with any credit.
Sons petulance and Rudigers whole demeanour in the game need to be addressed .
If they behave then so do the spectators

The club has stated in the rules that obscenity is not allowed. At the moment it seems they are not enforcing it. The message to the kids or adults is .....shouting out Yid or calling someone a tnuc etc is not ok in the street but if you get a ticket to a football match you can do it to your hearts content for 90 minutes in the confines of the stadium.

Of course I understand it's part of football but it doesn't make it ok. As a player on the pitch after making a mistake for example he has to accept obscenity hurled against him, called all the names under the sun, but he doesn't have to accept being likened to a monkey.

The club has stated in the rules that obscenity is not allowed. At the moment it seems they are not enforcing it. The message to the kids or adults is .....shouting out Yid or calling someone a tnuc etc is not ok in the street but if you get a ticket to a football match you can do it to your hearts content for 90 minutes in the confines of the stadium.

Of course I understand it's part of football but it doesn't make it ok. As a player on the pitch after making a mistake for example he has to accept obscenity hurled against him, called all the names under the sun, but he doesn't have to accept being likened to a monkey.
No he doesn’t have to accept being likened to a monkey, and he knows that, but the published evidence so far suggests he wasn’t, and the problem with him for me is that he has been exposed as cheat on the pitch, so how much credibility does he have, particularly with his previous record in Italy....the answer for me is very little and if no evidence is produced he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute notwithstanding the investigation into his punch on Son which should be punished irrespective of the racist accusation.

This seems to have died a death. Are the club still investigating? If not it's an unsatisfactory ending because it still leaves a stain on the club's reputation.

This seems to have died a death. Are the club still investigating? If not it's an unsatisfactory ending because it still leaves a stain on the club's reputation.
I think the problem is if there is no evidence to support the allegation what does the club have to say publicly to Rudiger....it seems obvious to me that no one is willing to state the obvious alternative view and so Rudiger will feel empowered to play this card every time he is called out for cheating.

Leaving aside the racism claims, video evidence shows Rudiger punching Son while simultaneously hauling Son to the ground for which he should have had a red card....it looks like a win win for a big cheat.

I think the problem is if there is no evidence to support the allegation what does the club have to say publicly to Rudiger....it seems obvious to me that no one is willing to state the obvious alternative view and so Rudiger will feel empowered to play this card every time he is called out for cheating.

Leaving aside the racism claims, video evidence shows Rudiger punching Son while simultaneously hauling Son to the ground for which he should have had a red card....it looks like a win win for a big cheat.

If the investigation is now complete and there is no evidence whatsoever, the club should sue him for defamation.

It's tough to know what to do actually. I would just leave it and perhaps consider a closing letter to the FA, but nothing to Chesea or publicly through our website.

Revenge for Rudiger is best served at Stamford Bridge.

It's tough to know what to do actually. I would just leave it and perhaps consider a closing letter to the FA, but nothing to Chesea or publicly through our website.

Revenge for Rudiger is best served at Stamford Bridge.

Where's Roy Keane when you need him? ;)

Supporters Trust statement today :

The TST said in a statement on Friday: "It's now 12 days since allegations that Antonio Rudiger was racially abused by the home crowd at the Premier League game between Spurs and Chelsea on Sunday 22 December.
"In the interests of all concerned, there now needs to be a clear statement on what has been established by the investigation THFC announced immediately after the game.
"Either there was racist abuse, or there wasn't. If racist abuse occurred, the perpetrators must be punished. If none occurred, the reputation of Tottenham Hotspur fans must be cleared.
"We understand the need for any investigation to be conducted properly. We acknowledge that the number of working days over the Christmas and New Year period presented a challenge. And we have been mindful of the need to refrain from comment while the investigation was in progress. Too many people have rushed to judgement before being sure of the facts.
"But the lack of any update from either the Club or the Police after the initial Club statement on 23 December, other than a brief reference to the investigation being ongoing on 24 December, is leading to increasing levels of speculation and conjecture. The time has come for the facts as they are known to be laid out.
"We have continuously urged for a swift conclusion throughout the festive period and now publicly call upon THFC and the Metropolitan Police to clarify as a matter of urgency what facts have been established, and what still remains to investigate."

What annoys me is Son got racially abused when he was sent off. I was with one off my friends on new year's eve . We were speaking about Rudigers alleged abuse ,I was saying I have not heard anything yet to say if he was even abused. I then said unlike Son's abuse where we found and ejected a Chelsea fan for the abuse. He said he never even knew Sonny was abused. Why has so little been made of proven case yet a unproven case has reached parliament.If Rudiger was abused I hope they get punished harshly . If he made it up I would like him to apologise to spurs fans

Supporters Trust statement today :

The TST said in a statement on Friday: "It's now 12 days since allegations that Antonio Rudiger was racially abused by the home crowd at the Premier League game between Spurs and Chelsea on Sunday 22 December.
"In the interests of all concerned, there now needs to be a clear statement on what has been established by the investigation THFC announced immediately after the game.
"Either there was racist abuse, or there wasn't. If racist abuse occurred, the perpetrators must be punished. If none occurred, the reputation of Tottenham Hotspur fans must be cleared.
"We understand the need for any investigation to be conducted properly. We acknowledge that the number of working days over the Christmas and New Year period presented a challenge. And we have been mindful of the need to refrain from comment while the investigation was in progress. Too many people have rushed to judgement before being sure of the facts.
"But the lack of any update from either the Club or the Police after the initial Club statement on 23 December, other than a brief reference to the investigation being ongoing on 24 December, is leading to increasing levels of speculation and conjecture. The time has come for the facts as they are known to be laid out.
"We have continuously urged for a swift conclusion throughout the festive period and now publicly call upon THFC and the Metropolitan Police to clarify as a matter of urgency what facts have been established, and what still remains to investigate."
Absolutely. This can't just be left to fester. Personally I would invite Chelsea officials and Rudger to review the footage. If they can't find any corroborating evidence then as a minimum they should issue a statement accepting that Rudiger was probably mistaken.

This racism accusation is merely trial by media on the back of a black Chelsea player having misconstrued what he had heard on the day. Having exaggerated the pain he was in after Son’s challenge and sending off, Rudiger was booed every time he touched the ball and there were also a few chants of YIDS! YIDS! YIDS! Soon after the sending off.

He didn’t hear monkey noises. I’ve known monkey noises at football but I’ve not heard it at Spurs since the years before Garth Crooks signed. It pained me that some idiots would make monkey noises even though Chris Hughton was in the side but I noticed very definitely that with the arrival of Crooks I never heard that nonsense again - right up to today!

Spurs don’t do that!

Just out on official website

Club Statement – Update on alleged racism incident at Chelsea match

The Club and the Metropolitan Police have now exhausted all avenues of investigation following the reported incident at our home fixture against Chelsea on 22 December.

We carried out extensive reviews of CCTV images and footage, working with professional lip readers. All materials and reports have now also been reviewed by the police who have carried out their own investigation.

The police have notified us today that, having reviewed and investigated, they have closed the crime report as they can find no evidence to support the allegation of racial abuse.

We fully support Antonio Rudiger with the action that he took - however there is no evidence to corroborate or contradict the allegation and as such neither ourselves nor the police are in a position to take any further action.

We are fiercely proud of our anti-racism work and our zero tolerance of any form of discrimination. This is one reason why we have attributed so much time and resource to investigating this matter. Had we identified anyone guilty of this we were intent on issuing them with a lifetime ban from our stadium as they would have no place among our proud, diverse fan base.

If any new information comes to light, this will be fully investigated.

Just out on official website

Club Statement – Update on alleged racism incident at Chelsea match

The Club and the Metropolitan Police have now exhausted all avenues of investigation following the reported incident at our home fixture against Chelsea on 22 December.

We carried out extensive reviews of CCTV images and footage, working with professional lip readers. All materials and reports have now also been reviewed by the police who have carried out their own investigation.

The police have notified us today that, having reviewed and investigated, they have closed the crime report as they can find no evidence to support the allegation of racial abuse.

We fully support Antonio Rudiger with the action that he took - however there is no evidence to corroborate or contradict the allegation and as such neither ourselves nor the police are in a position to take any further action.

We are fiercely proud of our anti-racism work and our zero tolerance of any form of discrimination. This is one reason why we have attributed so much time and resource to investigating this matter. Had we identified anyone guilty of this we were intent on issuing them with a lifetime ban from our stadium as they would have no place among our proud, diverse fan base.

If any new information comes to light, this will be fully investigated.
Thanks Muttley. I suppose Rudiger and or Chavs will also make a statement . I won’t be holding my breath

Thanks Muttley. I suppose Rudiger and or Chavs will also make a statement . I won’t be holding my breath

Actually, I doubt they will. Our comm clearly states "The Club and Met Police" so I'm not sure they'll want to do anymore than thank us for our due diligence. There's no right of reply.

I'm more interested to see whether The FA have the minerals to make their own statement.

Has Rudiger described what he heard or saw specifically ? Is there a statement from him ? He mimicked the monkey underarm thing but did that mean ooh, ooh, ooh or eeh, eeh, eeh ? Some fans may have been chanting cheat, cheat, cheat !!!

Rudiger on Twitter said he heard monkey noises and it may only be a couple of idiots not a crowd issue. If he only heard it why accentuate it with a monkey mannerism. He should have gone to his captain and quietly told him, no need for gestures. He is a dirty cheat the way he plays so would it be so unlikely that trait didnt spill over into his character ?
He punched Son, overcooked the reaction to Sons retaliation then dramatised the so called racist incident with gestures that there is no evidence of.

Last edited:
The club can’t be critical of Rudiger without being accused of racism and he knows it.
We all know he is a cheat and playing the race card for his own selfish reasons does no favours to others who have a genuine complaint...let’s hope that what goes around comes around for him sometime.