Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread

What areas does Gazza need to improve on to be considered a number 1 keeper ? And, is it possible at his age ?
The penalty area and the bit in between the posts would be a good place to start .! Ha ha .

I’ve heard he is getting one on one coaching now , so he can only get better . His positional sense, anticipation and possibly concentrhation are all very poor . He is good with his feet and distribution .
very poor at long range shots .
Better position , being three yards further out , would have saved a lot of long range shots , Wolves yesterday and the one in the CL are classic examples . He stays too close to the goal line and makes the net a much bigger target .

Last edited:
I think we tend to forget that Hugo injured himself palming the ball into his own net and the number of calamities he caused with his distribution...good to see Jose praising the lad after the game.

Yep, and in this new era of having a manager not playing out from the back I’m happy to see how he does

The big question for me now becomes whether Gazza can accept going back to being a backup keeper? That could be due to Lloris getting his shirt back or us investing in a new GK. Obviously his Plan A is to get the shirt permanently by continuing to work on his game and eliminate the cracks.

If that new contract comes along around his 28th b'day, it's a big career decision.

I think his footwork is ok, his reaction time close in seems ok . Communication is fixable with coaching and more in game familiarity. But I will watch how he interacts with the defence, I didnt notice it was lacking but haven't really been looking. Positioning again is fixable if the coaches feel there is a problem and videos will be watched.

Basically the question is....can Gazza ever reach the level required ? It's a shame if there is fixable work to do because if he had been playing regularly in say the Championship over the last 2 years , his deficiencies may have been eradicated.

When push comes to shove , it really was a poor choice of a No2 , given who was/is out there as proven keepers . Why we continued to buy players who needed to be coached into the finished article , I don’t know . I’m not saying he is a bad keeper , but he is not CL standard .
Don’t know that I can name anyone we have coached into being the required standard , having bought them . I’m sure people on here will prove me wrong , ha ha .
I’m hoping Sess is going to prove the exception.
edit : I’m talking about the Poch era of buying players !

Last edited:
When push comes to shove , it really was a poor choice of a No2 , given who was/is out there as proven keepers . Why we continued to buy players who needed to be coached into the finished article , I don’t know . I’m not saying he is a bad keeper , but he is not CL standard .
Don’t know that I can name anyone we have coached into being the required standard , having bought them . I’m sure people on here will prove me wrong , ha ha .
I’m hoping Sess is going to prove the exception

Out of interest, who was out there that we could have bought? Surely it was the same situation we face with Kane where nobody wanted to be Lloris's number 2. All the names like Foster, Butland, Heaton, Fabianski etc have planned their careers to be first choices at lesser clubs than us. Others like Utd who do have a decent 2nd choice keeper in Henderson have to have him out on loan, again as a first choice.

It's not easy.

Out of interest, who was out there that we could have bought? Surely it was the same situation we face with Kane where nobody wanted to be Lloris's number 2. All the names like Foster, Butland, Heaton, Fabianski etc have planned their careers to be first choices at lesser clubs than us. Others like Utd who do have a decent 2nd choice keeper in Henderson have to have him out on loan, again as a first choice.

It's not easy.

Nope it’s not. I think the obvious option is a championship number 1 that wants to play some games for a PL club

It's not easy.

It's not easy but at big clubs even the best players need competition.

I never fell for the line nobody would come to sit on the bench behind Kane or Hugo. Its not the right way of analysing the situation.

There are potentially so many games. Injury, form, fatigue and suspension all come into play.

Them 2 are great examples as are Alli and Eriksen.

They have all become injured or complacent in their time here due to not having real competition or a manager having the balls to drop them.

This must be addressed. Jose will change this if given time.

interesting people are saying his shot stopping is poor considering he's currently 2nd highest in the league statistically...

I don't think he's as bad as some make out, and maybe will grow into being a number 1 for us. I'd happily take an upgrade in Jan if someone great was available though as I'm not completely sure Hugo can be relied on to come good after a long lay off when he was already arguably in decline before it.

The Wolves game is a great example of fans over hyping his ability.

People say he kept us in it. All the saves he made were basic saves. Any professional keeper should be making.

Those stats mean little. Its like saying Defoe was statistically the second best Striker in the league because he had the second highest shot rate on goal.

I don't think he was at fault for Traoes goal though.

It's not easy.
I haven’t a clue who was out there who wanted to be a No2 to Lloris , but there must be thirty different goalkeepers in the leagues across Europe and beyond ,that, at the age Gazza was ,who had more experience and technical ability when we signed him .
As far as I know , everyone and anyone is available now , players are no longer placed on the transfer list or ask to be placed on the transfer list because they’ve thrown a strop after being dropped for one game .
That’s always been a major beef of mine , you don’t need to want to be transferred but , as we all know , agents get players moved about even if they are happy where they are .
Im still not calling Gazza a bad keeper , I m just saying we didn’t set the bar very high , no pun intended , when we signed him , and having signed him , his obvious technical difficulties have not been addressed

Didn't watch the Wolves game, but it sounds like he was greatly improved?

That's the debate actually. We are perhaps back to the revisionism conversation with Lloris suddenly becoming world class again because of his injury and Gazza's perceived inadequacies. That's offset by Jose making tactical adjustment to the GK's kicking that makes it so much easier for Gazza than it was for Lloris.

Ultimately, it's a nature vs nurture debate. Even if Gazza could adapt his positioning, when to come / when to stay, when to catch / when to punch etc has he got the raw talent to be at the top of the Prem? I''m not sure he has but am sure that the 2020 version of Gazza will be better than the previous versions.

That's the debate actually. We are perhaps back to the revisionism conversation with Lloris suddenly becoming world class again because of his injury and Gazza's perceived inadequacies. That's offset by Jose making tactical adjustment to the GK's kicking that makes it so much easier for Gazza than it was for Lloris.

Ultimately, it's a nature vs nurture debate. Even if Gazza could adapt his positioning, when to come / when to stay, when to catch / when to punch etc has he got the raw talent to be at the top of the Prem? I''m not sure he has but am sure that the 2020 version of Gazza will be better than the previous versions.

I think the issues loris faced with kicking etc would be less of an issue with the lack of playing out the back

He doesn't and everyone outside spurs agree he doesn't.

At a push he is making a claim for a number 2. Even that might be out of reach if we are serious about challenging for the title.

I'm convinced many spurs fans still have this Europa league mentality.

Some are saying he is a top 3 GK. Just this weird thing a lot of Spurs fans do. Over hyping average players and saying they are the GOAT. 🙄

The Wolves game is a great example of fans over hyping his ability.

People say he kept us in it. All the saves he made were basic saves. Any professional keeper should be making.

Those stats mean little. Its like saying Defoe was statistically the second best Striker in the league because he had the second highest shot rate on goal.

I don't think he was at fault for Traoes goal though.

What's not deniable from the stats iirc is that our keepers have this season been facing more shots than any side in contention for top 6 so to have them both on high save percentages to me means they're doing OK but need more support. They'd both make less "mistakes" if they were facing less shots. Obviously it could just be that the shots they are facing are less difficult than that of other keepers.

Gaza is not our main problem by miles...it is the MF....watching Traeore’s goal from behind I think I saw Dier standing watching instead of tackling/blocking...I think he may even have been behind the CBs. Watched a bit of Palace vs Brighton...even Brighton’s MF know how to play in a system very similar to City’s...keeping the ball moving quickly, pushing the opposition backwards, being available to recycle the ball positively when an attack breaks down...and those players are not household name superstars ffs.