Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread

With Gazza at 26 and Hugo in decline for me the question is, could he ever be good enough as our number 1 ?

If we want to be winning titles and the CL is Gaz really that guy? We all know the answer already.

Looking back at the goals we conceded at the weekend, he should have saved the Henderson shot IMO and not even diving for the penalty was really poor.

If we want to be winning titles and the CL is Gaz really that guy? We all know the answer already.

Looking back at the goals we conceded at the weekend, he should have saved the Henderson shot IMO and not even diving for the penalty was really poor.
I respectfully disagree. I don’t think we know the answer yet on that one and I think his vision was blocked for their opener ( although that didn’t stop him saving the far post Firmino header blind). I also fancied Salah to go down the middle at 1-1. But I respect your opinion and think we will know more after he has had a fair run of games. I think he could be good enough but we just don’t know yet.

You can't tell with keepers until they go through that rocky period. We can all list keepers who looked the bees knees until they had to face that period in their careers that didn't go so well. Some like James and Friedel played their best football after being discarded by Liverpool after the rocky periods. Others like Robbo and Green never recovered their careers. Joe Hart is going through that now. I doubt he'll ever recover. Butland is another at a crossroads.

Just looking through the Premierships goal keepers list, who is Gaz better than?

As harsh as it sounds he is probably in the bottom 90%.

When I talk about mentality change this is a great example. We need to stop over hyping players over a preseason or a few good games here and there.

Do you guys want to win titles? Then we will need a new number 1 for next season. Neither Hugo or Gaz are the level required.

I hope Gaz improves and cements his place as our number 2 though. Believe it or not I'm starting to like him a little. We have to be realistic about his ceiling though. He isn't going to jump past Ederson, Alisson or De Gea.

very few, if any, are going to surpass those 3 though RD.

If he plays like he did vs Liverpool and in a few other games he's in top 5 keepers in the league - he's also had some poor games. Let's see where he ranks after what will probably be at least another 10 or so games in goal for us.

Just looking through the Premierships goal keepers list, who is Gaz better than?

As harsh as it sounds he is probably in the bottom 90%.

When I talk about mentality change this is a great example. We need to stop over hyping players over a preseason or a few good games here and there.

Do you guys want to win titles? Then we will need a new number 1 for next season. Neither Hugo or Gaz are the level required.

I hope Gaz improves and cements his place as our number 2 though. Believe it or not I'm starting to like him a little. We have to be realistic about his ceiling though. He isn't going to jump past Ederson, Alisson or De Gea.
Well the guy EX says is slated to replace him shipped 9 recently. Think we will have to look overseas for a new number one.

Well the guy EX says is slated to replace him shipped 9 recently. Think we will have to look overseas for a new number one.

I quite like Matt Ryan from Brighton. He is a bit loko though. Nick Pope has stagnated a bit but liked him a few seasons back.

Can't see anybody else.

It's hard to say any were his fault, but it is the sort of drubbing that can kill confidence going forward.

I thought he was doing well but since Pochettino left he has looked average at best. Hugo will walk back into the team if he carries on like the last few games.

Think he’s been at fault or weak for at least 1 goal in most games this season.

He did make 2 very good saves against Utd which seem to have been brushed under the carpet. How many did Hugo let past him against Bayern ?
Yes he should have saved that one from Rashford but it was a little awkward and it happens. Hopefully he will learn from it. Plenty other mistakes led to that shot from others.

Totally and utterly unfairly savaged for his game against Manure.

He was at fault for Rashford's first goal? Puuuhhhhhllleeeaaase. What ignorancde is this? I challenge ANYONe to go out and stop that ball. That was hit like a thunderbolt (He & Kane are 2 of the hardest ball strikers in the Prem), and the overspin was ridiculous. The fact that Gazzinga got even a touch on it was amazeballs the way that dipped and bounced right in front of him. Not a thing wrong with his attempt here. Beaten by a tremendous strike.

He made a number of truly spectacular saves throughout the match, and bossed his area much better, I thought, than he had been recently.

He's not world class, and maybe we should have a better #2, but getting on his case about this match is just ignorant.

Well at least we know the coaching staff won't bash Gazza. They will just tell him to put it down to experience, get his confidence sky high again on the training ground and send him back out into battle. That's all they can do.

Not the treatment others should be getting mind :-)

He did make 2 very good saves against Utd which seem to have been brushed under the carpet. How many did Hugo let past him against Bayern ?
Yes he should have saved that one from Rashford but it was a little awkward and it happens. Hopefully he will learn from it. Plenty other mistakes led to that shot from others.

None of those saves were shots a PL keeper should be letting in, even if that was the case him throwing one in put us on the back foot from the off.