Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread

None of those saves were shots a PL keeper should be letting in, even if that was the case him throwing one in put us on the back foot from the off.

As Schmeichel (one of the greats in my book) said; he'd be very disappointed to see them get past him.

And frankly, that's the level we need if we're to be a top team. Gazza looks short of the level we need, I can't see him being a No.1 - that said I know the new goalkeeping coach has already changed up his training/ 1-1 coaching routine - which might or could have a big impact on his performances, I guess we'll have to watch and wait to see if it does.

As Schmeichel (one of the greats in my book) said; he'd be very disappointed to see them get past him.

And frankly, that's the level we need if we're to be a top team. Gazza looks short of the level we need, I can't see him being a No.1 - that said I know the new goalkeeping coach has already changed up his training/ 1-1 coaching routine - which might or could have a big impact on his performances, I guess we'll have to watch and wait to see if it does.

He’s a number 3 in the PL, if he was any better than that he would have played at Southampton when he was behind two midtable keepers.

His entire career to date has been error ridden, look at the video of him being on loan in Spain.

He simply wouldn’t be at the club if he wasn’t from the same town as Mopo.

Do you know what happened with Pau?

I know you are but a fan of Butland, but he’s miles better than this clown.

He got a cult following because he can kick the ball and looks stunning in a suit.

Save % this season:

•Alisson- 78%
•Gazzaniga, Schmeichel- 77%
•Henderson- 76%
•Guaita, Dúbravka- 73%
•Ramsdale, Ryan- 72%
•De Gea, Leno, Fabiański- 71%
•Ederson- 70%
•Rui Patricio- 69%
•Krul- 68%
•Heaton- 66%
•Pope, Foster- 62%
•Pickford- 57%
•Kepa- 56%
•Gunn- 55%

Interesting as Gazza has let a couple in you feel he shouldn't have

That’s an interesting stat Freund , does it indicate that you make so many saves because you are playing with a shit defence in front of you ? If so then why is Allison at the top and Gunn at the bottom. Or is Gunn at the bottom because he has a shit defence in front of him and he lets a lot of goals in .
if it’s a shot to save ratio then I’m pleasantly surprised, it I still don’t think he gets down to low shots very well and is suspect to the ball just under the crossbar.

He made some good saves against BM...shame the rest of the defence was asleep....I don’t think he is anywhere near as bad as some make out and isn’t the main reason we concede goals.

That’s an interesting stat Freund , does it indicate that you make so many saves because you are playing with a shit defence in front of you ? If so then why is Allison at the top and Gunn at the bottom. Or is Gunn at the bottom because he has a shit defence in front of him and he lets a lot of goals in .
if it’s a shot to save ratio then I’m pleasantly surprised, it I still don’t think he gets down to low shots very well and is suspect to the ball just under the crossbar.
Interesting Walt...he made a couple of stunning fingertips onto the bar in the last few games, one against Coutinho and the one against Utd that everyone is picking on, if you watch it back, he got down and had it covered but the ball bounced just in front of his hand and ricocheted off the top of his hand up onto the post and in....quite apart from the fact that Rashford has one of the hardest shots in the league and was teed up for it by our non-defensive system from about 12 yards.

I think that stat sheet is interesting because Allison is being touted as the best in the world but to me he always looks like an accident waiting to happen...a really jittery guy behind an overrated defence.

Last season at the Feb mark Hugo was top with 78%. So the 2 are comparable saves wise. Distribution stats I have not checked but the perception for me is that Gazza is better.

Last season at the Feb mark Hugo was top with 78%. So the 2 are comparable saves wise. Distribution stats I have not checked but the perception for me is that Gazza is better.

I saw a tweet saying Hugo's save percentage is 79% but no idea if that's true. Don't think you need stats to see whose distribution is better. Gazza streets ahead with the ball at his feet. Hugo might have higher pass completion as he does the 5 yards to Jan / Toby only for them to pass it back as they're under pressure and Gazza goes for lower percentage but lower risk long balls (even before we switched manager).

BTW, the counter argument for getting finger tips to a ball and it therefore being a great save is that you should have got a strong hand to it. Both of Gazza's recent finger tips saves Lloris would have read it earlier, reacted quicker and had more spring. Gazza's not getting close to some of the goals going in because his centre of balance is often found wanting. Not a great keeper for me.

Save % this season:

•Alisson- 78%
•Gazzaniga, Schmeichel- 77%
•Henderson- 76%
•Guaita, Dúbravka- 73%
•Ramsdale, Ryan- 72%
•De Gea, Leno, Fabiański- 71%
•Ederson- 70%
•Rui Patricio- 69%
•Krul- 68%
•Heaton- 66%
•Pope, Foster- 62%
•Pickford- 57%
•Kepa- 56%
•Gunn- 55%

Interesting as Gazza has let a couple in you feel he shouldn't have

Well he doesn't have much of a defense in front of him...so he is taking a large number of shots. I do agree his pure shot stopping ability is sub-par, but would be nice if our defense helped out more.

BTW, the counter argument for getting finger tips to a ball and it therefore being a great save is that you should have got a strong hand to it. Both of Gazza's recent finger tips saves Lloris would have read it earlier, reacted quicker and had more spring. Gazza's not getting close to some of the goals going in because his centre of balance is often found wanting. Not a great keeper for me.
I think the counter argument to your counter argument is that both shorts would ave gone over Hugo’s hands, however much spring he had.....but well never know will we?

Thought he could have done better with goal today and his flap at the header was lucky but to fall to an attacker.

I thought the same before I saw a replay. Don't think he could have done anything about it once they showed again, was hit hard into side netting.