Wimbledon Gills | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wimbledon Gills

I agree with Trev we won't go down but it would be nice not to be looking over our shoulders come the spring time
I always find this kind of comment a bit weird. We finished 13th last season yet were still looking over our shoulders until well into april. The simple fact of the matter is that most mid table teams are not mathematically safe until april, so by definition they are all looking over their shoulder into spring.

What seems like an innocent comment is just a bit unrealistic imo.

I always find this kind of comment a bit weird. We finished 13th last season yet were still looking over our shoulders until well into april. The simple fact of the matter is that most mid table teams are not mathematically safe until april, so by definition they are all looking over their shoulder into spring.

What seems like an innocent comment is just a bit unrealistic imo.

True AK. Play-offs and 3up 4down mean every team is looking either top 6 or bottom 4 until the last few weeks.

But I have to say, this season the bottom 4 (3) hasn’t worried me at all from afar. We appear (results-wise) so far better than the bottom lot that there’s no way we’ll be dragged there on our form up to now.

The Wimbledon game is so far the only result this season that has upset that view. We’ve beaten everyone else below us (bar Burton 2nd game) and sounds like we should have won Saturday. How much better everyone’s outlook would be if we had.

I agree we’ve had much better strikers at times, but that’s only masked over the mediocrity of the team elsewhere. If the rest of the team wasn’t mediocre, we’d have done better than we had.
Don’t agree thought we played some super stuff originally under JED RIP - there weren’t too many weakness in that team and we then picked up 6 key injuries in the feb

Don't forget, Eaves widely credited Steve Lovell's input with his return to goal scoring form. I do think some of our current crop of strikers would also benefit from his coaching of how to actually get the ball in the old onion bag.

I don’t have underline reasons he’s just a dinosaur and an abusive bully and a reason why England will never win a World Cup with people like him in the game

Jesus, I know you don't like the bloke, but that's one hell of a claim there. What exactly has the fact that a third-flight team has a manager that is (in your opinion) "a dinosaur and an abusive bully" got to do with England winning the World Cup? Do France, Spain, Germany, Brazil, etc. not also have dinosaurs managing in their lower leagues?
What effect exactly is Steve Evans having on the England team? Are the FA aware of his influence? Can Scally expect a phone call from them asking him to sack him for the good of the nation and our chances in Qatar?

Jesus, I know you don't like the bloke, but that's one hell of a claim there. What exactly has the fact that a third-flight team has a manager that is (in your opinion) "a dinosaur and an abusive bully" got to do with England winning the World Cup? Do France, Spain, Germany, Brazil, etc. not also have dinosaurs managing in their lower leagues?
What effect exactly is Steve Evans having on the England team? Are the FA aware of his influence? Can Scally expect a phone call from them asking him to sack him for the good of the nation and our chances in Qatar?

I think it’s obvious really Madrid.

England will not win the World Cup unless Garmston is in the squad.
Southgate cannot pick Garmston unless Evans plays him.
Evans will not play Garmston.

And THAT is why Steve Evans is ruining England’s chances of success............

Ha ha Madrid - I see what your saying but - my point is there are two many managers in our league systems like Evans which hold back our progression get rid of these old crates and bring new flesh blood in and let be progressive

Errr actually Rob I think Garmston is Irish ???

Ha ha Madrid - I see what your saying but - my point is there are two many managers in our league systems like Evans which hold back our progression get rid of these old crates and bring new flesh blood in and let be progressive

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point with regard to old-fashioned managers. Given the choice of playing for a Steve Evans type manager or a Gareth Southgate type, there's no doubt in my mind who I'd prefer to play for. I do think though that you're very much over-estimating the influence of a third-flight team on the overall state of the English game.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point with regard to old-fashioned managers. Given the choice of playing for a Steve Evans type manager or a Gareth Southgate type, there's no doubt in my mind who I'd prefer to play for. I do think though that you're very much over-estimating the influence of a third-flight team on the overall state of the English game.
But there’s 23 or so third flight teams and they do Make a difference to higher level teams some go into the championship some the premiership just think of our own John Egan - perhaps Dacky as well - gills have had some good players in the past that have gone on and done well in higher divisions other young kids come and go or are on the way down to third/ fourth flight football

About as Irish as Cas was.............
Well the difference is he’s played At every level from under 15 - under 21 and turned down England so I think hes he’s a bit more Irish than cas plus his grandparents were Irish and he has a big family in Ireland ... ask me another ?

Don't think the first game was their 'B' team and we drew at their place.

Also, how many League One B teams can have international players at their disposal - one of whom cost £4m? I have no sympathy for them and our cracking performance that night was still very much underdogs against a moneybags team - especially as they have a manager every bit as odious as our own!