Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

Well frustrating is becoming our theme tune
Better side tonight and just needed someone to get a shot away and make the possession count in targets on goal
Thought they are bang average and with a bit of anticipation from the front two we could have easily grabbed a couple
Keep the faith and we’ll smash someone soon
Uti

Just got back, and not too disappointed with that. I would say 9/11 of our players had good matches, 1 was marshalled out by good defending and 1 never got an opportunity to show his strength.

Vickers looked good again, not much to do though.

Defence looked strong. We look most likely to do something when Toffolo and Eardley get forwards. Glad Connolly had a good game, I did think a game where we’re on top would suit him at CB. Also glad Shackell proved I have no idea what i’m on about as I questioned him a while back.

Morellos was fantastic. O’Connor should be in with a shout if NI squad if that’s his normal performances. Payne needs more in front of him but his running and general being a pain in the other teams ass is invaluable to us. Andrade was kept quiet by their RB who I thought was quite good.

Akinde was fantastic I thought, won most headers. For me his overall game is actually better than Walker’s. Walker is the better goal scorer but offers very little outside the box - and we’re struggling to get it into the box.

Stadium was good, worth the trip and thought their fans were decent (just the other end of the pitch to us). Heard Alan Long dealing with a couple of complaints which was good to hear.

Their goal seemed offside from where I was but i’ve been told that ifollow showed it onside. Not convinced though. Was told we should have had a penalty just before the goal too. In general the ref was appalling from my very biased view. Should have had a penalty from a corner in 2nd half but they just had to claim something and they would get the decision. Still waiting for that linesman to make a decision. He’d wait for the players to have already played on before he raised his flag. We were perhaps the better team overall.

They were quite average for this league from what i’ve seen. Other than their number 6 who was fantastic and their number 15 who kept Andrade quiet which is no easy feat. Can’t see them getting promoted with that team. Marquis is quite dramatic and didn’t seem a £2million striker.

Our fans I thought were fantastic other than drunken guy who was abusing their family stand but you always get that person. Great changing throughout the match.

Overall, enjoyable experience. A decent result considering what I would have expected start of the season. Just disappointing because on the day we could and should have perhaps won that.

Just got back, and not too disappointed with that. I would say 9/11 of our players had good matches, 1 was marshalled out by good defending and 1 never got an opportunity to show his strength.

Defence looked strong. We look most likely to do something when Toffolo and Eardley get forwards. Glad Connolly had a good game, I did think a game where we’re on top would suit him at CB. Also glad Shackell proved I have no idea what i’m on about as I questioned him a while back.

Morellos was fantastic. O’Connor should be in with a shout if NI squad if that’s his normal performances. Payne needs more in front of him but his running and general being a pain in the other teams ass is invaluable to us. Andrade was kept quiet by their RB who I thought was quite good.

Akinde was fantastic I thought, won most headers. For me his overall game is actually better than Walker’s. Walker is the better goal scorer but offers very little outside the box - and we’re struggling to get it into the box.

Stadium was good, worth the trip and thought their fans were decent (just the other end of the pitch to us). Heard Alan Long dealing with a couple of complaints which was good to hear.

Their goal seemed offside from where I was but i’ve been told that ifollow showed it onside. Not convinced though. Was told we should have had a penalty just before the goal too. In general the ref was appalling from my very biased view. Should have had a penalty from a corner in 2nd half but they just had to claim something and they would get the decision. Still waiting for that linesman to make a decision. He’d wait for the players to have already played on before he raised his flag. We were perhaps the better team overall.

They were quite average for this league from what i’ve seen. Other than their number 6 who was fantastic and their number 15 who kept Andrade quiet which is no easy feat. Can’t see them getting promoted with that team. Marquis is quite dramatic and didn’t seem a £2million striker.

Our fans I thought were fantastic other than drunken guy who was abusing their family stand but you always get that person. Great changing throughout the match.

Overall, enjoyable experience. A decent result considering what I would have expected start of the season. Just disappointing because on the day we could and should have perhaps won that.
Funny how you get a different view from behind the goal to watching side on with replays. I would have said Andrade was easily our most dangerous player, Payne lost the ball continually and I didn’t think Akinde won that many headers!

January transfer window we do need a new striker and a proper out and out winger.

We do not have the money for a winger and striker. Our best hope is scouting non league and finding a player who has the ability to step up. Chances of that are unlikely and I couldn’t see an obvious choice. Perhaps a released youth player who is just keeping fit at that level might be available and a possibility. But it’s unlikely.

Hopefully there is someone out there who just needs the right coach to bring out a star player. That coach being Appleton.

Funny how you get a different view from behind the goal to watching side on with replays. I would have said Andrade was easily our most dangerous player, Payne lost the ball continually and I didn’t think Akinde won that many headers!
Pretty well my thoughts - apart from Marquis being an odious show pony (how did he not get booked for shouting f-off at the ref several times, football needs to learn from rugby) and the non-committal lino, that summary was the total opposite of how it looked on iFollow.

There is, however, a lot of irony at large on here tonight.

But - 'we were better than that result' has become a constant theme recently. That needs dealing with before we become 'too good for relegation'.

Payne did lose the ball a lot. But he also did win it a lot. And battled and ran and pushed us 10 to 15 yards further up the pitch. He needs more movement in front of him though.

Akinde won it a lot. But didn’t get it to our players. Often, it would then go to Morrell or O’Connor to clear up. Walker was nowhere around to offer an option.

I don’t remember Andrade beating his man very often. He would play it to Toffolo which created something. But we didn’t create too many chances, the referee and No. 6 saw that.

Lincoln City nil is a habit we need to get out of fast, but with the squad available it looks difficult. Bolton won tonight and will be really up for it on Saturday, as Appleton said it could get worse before it gets better. Need to be on the front foot from the off on Saturday and get the crowd behind them.

Lincoln City nil is a habit we need to get out of fast, but with the squad available it looks difficult. Bolton won tonight and will be really up for it on Saturday, as Appleton said it could get worse before it gets better. Need to be on the front foot from the off on Saturday and get the crowd behind them.

Think Bristol Rovers may have actually done us a favour.
Not likely to be any complacency now.
Will possibly also sell out the Bolton allocation.
Might be a similar atmosphere to Sunderland and hopefully result.

What a frustrating night. Terrible drive down, ages to find somewhere to park, Eventbrite never sent my ticket, so I had to buy another and missed the first 10 mins.

At times it was men against boys. Portsmouth are a big side, or at least we made them look big. They also showed their experience at this level to get the decisions go their way. And we looked lumbering, blunt and unwilling to shoot. On balance we deserved a goal, but not necessarily points. We played a bigger, better team, and need to find our underdog spirit again rather than trying to play L1 teams at their own game.

I thought Bruno was by far our most potent threat as usual. Tyler used the ball well. And I'm normally a staunch supporter of John, but I think he may not be the L1 player we want/need him to be. Happy with connolly tonight. Big ask for him to slot in and although he looked a bit nervous and out of his depth, be held his own and did well positionally.

Pretty well my thoughts - apart from Marquis being an odious show pony (how did he not get booked for shouting f-off at the ref several times, football needs to learn from rugby) and the non-committal lino, that summary was the total opposite of how it looked on iFollow.

There is, however, a lot of irony at large on here tonight.

But - 'we were better than that result' has become a constant theme recently. That needs dealing with before we become 'too good for relegation'.
If you swear at ref in Rugby union you're off, ask Dylan Hartley!

I was with Pompy fans and they were saying the ref was giving us nothing

The bolton match is massive on saturday. It is nearly Christmas before we have another league home game. A win will give breathing space. A defeat will have us looking over our shoulders. I am beginning to feel worried, particularly with our away results and lack of goals. No goals in the three league games since sunderland. It doesn't matter how well we play, the league table is decided on the points column.

Hmm. We seemed to have more of the play, 2nd half especially. Payne does win the ball a lot and beat people but then doesn't know what to do with it next.
Subs didnt seem to help in any way.
Connolly filled in at CB ok.
Up front. Well. There just seems next to nothing there.
Akinde - last season most goals (i think) that he scored came from penalties. Open play goals just seem a rarity. This season even more so. He had some decent games in the springtime I thought and actually has looked most effective to me when playing a bit wide.
But I don't see him doing anything much at all this season. Shame really.
Walker - well he has scored some good goals but does he create his own chances or has everything got to be set up for him? Either way, we're stuck with him as first choice striker so hope he can deliver a few more goals before January at least.

Disappointing evening.

Been thinking (painful at times, I know ?). Before the game, if I remember right, MApp said Walker was going to play wider with Akinde through the middle and Payne on the left. In the actual game I thought it didn’t seem at all like that. Payne was all over the pitch & hardly on the left. Walker didn’t really seem to know where he should be at times, maybe trying to keep clear of Big John’s space (didn’t I see the two of them collide in the second half going for the same ball?) and Bruno ended up playing on the left. Maybe mind games from MApp or maybe he changed it up to be more effective to counter Pompey’s earlier dominance.
Generally, I seem to recall from somewhere that MApp wants the team to be hard to beat but to get the ball forward quicker. Thinking about the last two performances, we are sorting things out defensively, or were until Bolger got himself red-carded. In the middle we are winning the ball quite a lot but to me it all seems to break down in the final third. I’m beginning to wonder if this is a consequence of MApp‘s style of trying to get the ball forward quicker. So many times I saw passes that just didn’t quite come off in the final third and there was nowhere near enough composure in and around the box, though Pompey did defend their box well. On another day (Sunderland?) it all worked and we played superbly. Still bedding into MApp’s style I think, but it would be nice if we could get it working soon, IF my analysis is right.
Personally I bet he can’t wait for January and is probably already lining up two or three players who suit his style of play better (younger, bigger & quicker) and with one eye on Championsip style.
Patience is the watchword, (but I want mine now ??).