Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

I am not sure we are really equipped to play “non pretty” at the moment. (Yesterday was it for us - as far as hoof ball goes).
Although we have 5’6” Hesketh and 5’8” Pett to mix things up.

It depends on what you do. The likes of Yeo, GTF, Green, Asomoah etc weren't big but that team got accused of not playing pretty football every week.

Looking beyond the actual footy on the pitch, I have to say I enjoyed the visit to Fratton Park (apart from the nightmare traffic).
Very nice old school stadium and, fair play their kop made a good noise.
What was that funny Irish jig music they played at the start and they were all bouncing and clapping along to? I liked it , we need something like that instead of the dambusters dirge .

Looking beyond the actual footy on the pitch, I have to say I enjoyed the visit to Fratton Park (apart from the nightmare traffic).
What was that funny Irish jig music they played at the start and they were all bouncing and clapping along to? I liked it , we need something like that instead of the dambusters dirge .
Sounded like 'Portsmouth' by Mike Old field of Tubular Bells fame.

I'm really missing those opposition manager moans -
"you know what you get with them"
"they're a big physical side"
"they're strong at set pieces"
"it gets them results but I wouldn't want to watch it every week"
"they're good at what they do"
"we'll play football the right way"

As stated it's all very Alan Buckley, or... early Keith, Steve Wicks...

But, I think we do have time on our side and am not too worried at the moment.
Listening to the comments of the Pompey fans as we shuffled away from the ground. I heard a couple say what a good side we were. It's certainly a culture change, very rare we've been known for our pretty football

Proper old ground in the middle of rows of housing
Can imagine it used to be very moody for away fans back in the day
Looking at the main stand the first few rows of seating sit lower than the actual pitch?
One thing that surprised me was limited options tho for revenue for catering and drink around the ground also no exec boxes either

Listening to the comments of the Pompey fans as we shuffled away from the ground. I heard a couple say what a good side we were. It's certainly a culture change, very rare we've been known for our pretty football
Traditionally, we get labelled ugly/nasty/direct when we win.
Lets see what they say after we've kicked them off the park in the return fixture ;)

Umm Dambusters is not a dirge, far from it. It's a wonderful rousing piece of music. Brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it played (especially if played by the RAF Band).
And personal interest in it too.

I think the rule exists. The question us why refs don't have the balls to enforce it.
I was talking with an ex-premier rugby ref a few weeks back. Before a game, he made it quite clear to both teams what the consequences of dissent or swearing at him would be.

And he would stand by this in a game, penalising any player daft enough to put it to the test.

Lo and behold, he had few problems of that nature - although he does say that such poor behaviour is becoming a regular feature there now.

Umm Dambusters is not a dirge, far from it. It's a wonderful rousing piece of music. Brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it played (especially if played by the RAF Band).
And personal interest in it too.
Although are we still playing the Dambusters? I’m not sure at all what the ‘rousing ‘ music is we’re playing now but that’s an age thing

Interesting, that, because I commented to a mate on Saturday that Walker is very clever with his running and doesn't waste energy on lost causes and will try and work the width of the 18 yard box when possible to ensure there's someone in and around the box (bearing in mind he's a lone striker).

I don't think it's a case of being a luxury, I think it's a case of higher level coaching and good decision making. No point running around like a headless chicken then not being able to sprint that extra yard or two, to get onto a ball across the box (appreciate that service into him isn't great at the minute, I'm just using that as an example). Not all top, goal scoring strikers chase, chase, chase. They pick and choose their runs and make sure they can get to balls when they need to.

You can have one 'all action' striker in a two, but not a one.
On a similar line to this, coincidentally there's an article on Vardy on the Sky Sports website today. Less running, less touches, less involvement, more goals. Different level and quality of players obviously (and Vardy's success historically have come as being part of counter-attacking teams rather than controlling ones), but re-affirms that less is sometimes more.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-leicester-form-analysed-with-brendan-rodgers

...says Rodgers. "We like to think of it now as dangerous possession. If a team drops off against us we have to be able to circulate the ball. And if you are going to have 60 per cent of the ball you need players who are happy in that possession."

Leicester do need those players. But Vardy does not necessarily need to be one of them. He has made the adjustment to playing in a possession-based team in an unusual way. He has stayed away from the ball. No player with four or more goals this season has had fewer touches. This is not a flaw in his game. It is by design. This is how his manager wants it to be.

"He is not one of those strikers like Bobby Firmino who drops underneath and links the game but he is a top player and he is clear on the role that we are asking him to play," explains Rodgers. "We have asked him to stay a bit more central. You don't have to be involved in the build-up as long as the other players appreciate what you are trying to do.

"It is up to the others to serve him. He can come away. Play offside. Play behind the line. He knows that we are working it in to give him the opportunities. For a striker that is important because they sometimes feel like they have to get involved just to have a touch of the ball. He knows he doesn't have to worry about that now. He will be judged on the goals."

This approach has seen a big improvement in Vardy's record when playing against deeper defences.

"If you are playing against Jamie then the temptation is always going to be to drop deep. To break that down you need players out wide and positions filled inside. Then it is about working the ball into him. What he has added is that element where if teams deny him the space he is still able to manage the game within that. He has done that very well."

On a similar line to this, coincidentally there's an article on Vardy on the Sky Sports website today. Less running, less touches, less involvement, more goals. Different level and quality of players obviously (and Vardy's success historically have come as being part of counter-attacking teams rather than controlling ones), but re-affirms that less is sometimes more.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-leicester-form-analysed-with-brendan-rodgers

...says Rodgers. "We like to think of it now as dangerous possession. If a team drops off against us we have to be able to circulate the ball. And if you are going to have 60 per cent of the ball you need players who are happy in that possession."

Leicester do need those players. But Vardy does not necessarily need to be one of them. He has made the adjustment to playing in a possession-based team in an unusual way. He has stayed away from the ball. No player with four or more goals this season has had fewer touches. This is not a flaw in his game. It is by design. This is how his manager wants it to be.

"He is not one of those strikers like Bobby Firmino who drops underneath and links the game but he is a top player and he is clear on the role that we are asking him to play," explains Rodgers. "We have asked him to stay a bit more central. You don't have to be involved in the build-up as long as the other players appreciate what you are trying to do.

"It is up to the others to serve him. He can come away. Play offside. Play behind the line. He knows that we are working it in to give him the opportunities. For a striker that is important because they sometimes feel like they have to get involved just to have a touch of the ball. He knows he doesn't have to worry about that now. He will be judged on the goals."

This approach has seen a big improvement in Vardy's record when playing against deeper defences.

"If you are playing against Jamie then the temptation is always going to be to drop deep. To break that down you need players out wide and positions filled inside. Then it is about working the ball into him. What he has added is that element where if teams deny him the space he is still able to manage the game within that. He has done that very well."

Plenty can do the first part of this, in fact I think I could.

Not so sure about the second bit.

I saw earlier this is the most watched game on I-follow this season. Don't know how many from each club, but still quite a thing I think

Finding a formation and style that allows you to capitalise on the strengths of the players at your disposal. If the players are up to it, then to coach them out of what they know and in to what is now required (or replace them). We are in that transition now. I am really looking forward to a time when MApp has had a fair go at getting the players embedded properly and any gaps filled. Just need the current set up, with any January tweaks, to get us in to a comfortable (upper) mid table position to build from.