Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

Very decent performance away from home - but didn't take our chances - need a couple of strikers asap - mind you we have known that since the close season - enough said!

Back four were solid enough. And Morrell and O'Connor did there jobs. Up top is a problem. Not really getting in behind. Only danger came from Bruno. Walker has to play through the middle. Akinde doesn't make any runs or hold the ball up well. Payne scampers around alot with good close control, but absolutely no end product and eventually gives the ball away. Anderson does what it says on the tin. Grant delivers a good pass and dead ball.
So in conclusion. We need two better forwards. One that can hold the ball up and be mobile. The other who doesn't faff about with it and has an end product.
Roll on January. Until then I'll take nil nils.
I'll back Big John as much as anyone, he did some good things tonight but was so frustrating in the box, at this level he needs to gamble, which is how Walker has scored several times this season. Walker has proved he can score and be a real threat at this level, but we created no chances for him tonight, the combination with JA didn't actually work. MApp needs to work out what he needs to support Walker, neither Payne as 10 nor playing off JA as target man seems to work. Payne alongside seemed to work v Sunderland but that's 'cos they were poor?

I think Bruno in No 10 role might be worth a try
at least bruno has a shot with either foot. but might get crowded out in the ten role - as payne does.

once the opposition are in the lead, it allows them to shut up shop and crowd walker out.

i still think we miss someone that can find a pass into walker. and it obviously helps if we keep the score level for longer, or even score first.

quite surprised how little quality there was in the portsmouth team. as with sunderland.

Just a nice performance, deserved a point really on the balance of play. However, we need to find a ruthlessness soon - as we are just become a nice team.

Home form will be key between now and January.

Ask yourself why we managed to get the ball up the pitch so often and have some possession facing the goal, I know it was because of the physical presence of Jack Payne... no let me think again Tyler Walker winning all those headers... no let me think again, who can it be yes got it now, it was no one, just happened.

Oh by the way John Akinde was crap, did n't get to the front post other than when he didn't get contact on the ball from Andrade cross. I think it was. How is it, he can't do it when Walker was doing it all night. Time after time Walker shooting at goal and scoring.

On a more positive note, we were the better side, if we can carry on being a bit more direct and get enough physically capable players on the pitch we will be okay.

Jack Payne is a good player in a very good side... but we ain't quite good enough to be able to carry his deficiencies ( which are mostly physical) at the moment.

Next two away games are now very important in my opinion. Wimbledon and Gillingham are still below us in the league and we need to get some points and confidence away from home. Two big games now

Thought I was the only who played Thommo bingo!

“Raiders, I call them”
“After you, Claude”
“They’re on gas and air”
“The referee’s indecision was final”
"Chomping at the bit"
"Laxadaisical"

I'm not going to criticise Lincoln tonight, I thought we played well, overall. We were the better team, and I reckon we'll beat them at our place.
Payne put's in a hell of a lot of effort, just doesnt always come off for him, and perhaps he does make the wrong decision at times, but accept it's split seconds you have to make that decision. It'll come off for him, just keep it going.
Andrade was motm for me. Eardley and Connelly were a bit suspect in the first half but sorted themselves out in the second half.
Good game for Shackell and Toff.