Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

As Redimp73 says he's a goal poacher.
I dont think he's particularly skilful and wont create his own chances but if he gets the right service he will put the ball in the back of the net.
To me hes a bit of a luxury because I would want my centre forward working a lot harder than he does but if he's scoring 20 odd goals per season a manager will work round that.
The trouble at the moment, as collingham has said ,we are not creating opportunities for him to get on the end of.
Interesting, that, because I commented to a mate on Saturday that Walker is very clever with his running and doesn't waste energy on lost causes and will try and work the width of the 18 yard box when possible to ensure there's someone in and around the box (bearing in mind he's a lone striker).

I don't think it's a case of being a luxury, I think it's a case of higher level coaching and good decision making. No point running around like a headless chicken then not being able to sprint that extra yard or two, to get onto a ball across the box (appreciate that service into him isn't great at the minute, I'm just using that as an example). Not all top, goal scoring strikers chase, chase, chase. They pick and choose their runs and make sure they can get to balls when they need to.

You can have one 'all action' striker in a two, but not a one.

Only Bolger, Akinde and Adebayo-Smith definitely contacted beyond the summer. Anderson, Grant, Payne and Bradley's contacts are of undisclosed length (although as Anderson's was extended, it probably is until the following summer I would think).
Anderson's was classed as long term and I'd class long term as 3 years so until 2022.

It's interesting reading around everywhere because quite a few clubs are commenting on the same thing at the minute.

AFCW fans are worried about their lack of creativity and scoring. As are Shrews fans. As are Gills, MK, Pompey, Coventry, Blackpool and Tranmere.

I work in Pompy this morning the Pompy guys are all saying the best team lost. I was with away fans with a mate who is a Pompy fan and he made the comment is the ref from Fratton? Certainly I don’t think he gave us much.

Interesting, that, because I commented to a mate on Saturday that Walker is very clever with his running and doesn't waste energy on lost causes and will try and work the width of the 18 yard box when possible to ensure there's someone in and around the box (bearing in mind he's a lone striker).

I don't think it's a case of being a luxury, I think it's a case of higher level coaching and good decision making. No point running around like a headless chicken then not being able to sprint that extra yard or two, to get onto a ball across the box (appreciate that service into him isn't great at the minute, I'm just using that as an example). Not all top, goal scoring strikers chase, chase, chase. They pick and choose their runs and make sure they can get to balls when they need to.

You can have one 'all action' striker in a two, but not a one.

Totally get what your saying but to me and as we say the forwards are the first line of defence.
Appreciate that when you are playing as a lone striker that, that job is a thankless task.
Also have to say that Walker and Akinde are in no way a strike partnership. They dont look like one and they dont play like one.
They have no attributes that compliment each other at all.

Just seen the Sky highlights. Terrible goal to concede, Akinde was marking the guy who headed it and he was behind him and never jumped. Schoolboy stuff......and before I get called out as a JA hater I've always been a fan but I'm afraid he is not L1 standard.

I thought last night that there was little or no co-ordination between Akinde, Walker and Payne. As the cliche goes, they looked like three players who had never met.

Have they actually met on the pitch before?
Did either manage to pass to the other? Once even?

Which was essentially what was lacking.
Good passes that create openings.

Plenty of huff and puff and tackling but almost no coordination in any of the moves.
The odd chance came but nothing clearcut.
But let's be honest, despite winning the title last season, we have struggled to create chances since the turn of the year at least. If it wasn't for the long unbeaten run helped particularly by Matt Gilks, we would now still be in League 2.

Depressed? No. But certainly resigned to a long drudge of a season.

Have they actually met on the pitch before?
Did either manage to pass to the other? Once even?

Which was essentially what was lacking.
Good passes that create openings.

Plenty of huff and puff and tackling but almost no coordination in any of the moves.
The odd chance came but nothing clearcut.
But let's be honest, despite winning the title last season, we have struggled to create chances since the turn of the year at least. If it wasn't for the long unbeaten run helped particularly by Matt Gilks, we would now still be in League 2.

Depressed? No. But certainly resigned to a long drudge of a season.

[Sincilbanks]

I think most people will appreciate the reality of L1 by Xmas.

[/Sincilbanks]

I hear on the grape-vine he's dusting off another miserableist old favourite. Watch this space!

Frustrating game in which we were worth at least a point but in the second half we never tested their keeper. We have to be prepared to shoot, and when a team is comparatively small, make runs in front of their keeper in anticipation of a low driven cross.

Andrade, when double and sometimes triple marked, must have provided space for others; it was seldom utilised. Akinde won possession and headers, but generally well outside the penalty area. His distribution was 50:50, he shied away from shooting and was not a threat close to goal.

The Bolton game on Saturday is huge, and from last night's performance it is clear that we simply have to score first.

I didn't listen or go...as I went to see a boyhood hero, David Gower, at The Theatre Royal last night. He was exceptionally entertaining and amusing and it was well worth the fee.

For me, the result just shows that our unbalanced squad is a work in progress. I expect the next two transfer windows will bring in more creativity and a squad more in line with the vision of MA than 32 midfielders....(and yes that is me being humourous and a tad flippant) we have at present.

I didn't listen or go...as I went to see a boyhood hero, David Gower, at The Theatre Royal last night. He was exceptionally entertaining and amusing and it was well worth the fee.

For me, the result just shows that our unbalanced squad is a work in progress. I expect the next two transfer windows will bring in more creativity and a squad more in line with the vision of MA than 32 midfielders....(and yes that is me being humourous and a tad flippant) we have at present.

I contemplated buying an ifollow match pass, then decided just to listen at work, then switched it off after they went behind thinking "that'll be the result".

Two things are apparent to me from this season: if we go behind, we very rarely get anything out of a game; playing nice football is not enough.

I contemplated buying an ifollow match pass, then decided just to listen at work, then switched it off after they went behind thinking "that'll be the result".

Two things are apparent to me from this season: if we go behind, we very rarely get anything out of a game; playing nice football is not enough.
All very Alan Buckley at times isn't it?

To quote someone else on here "Results end of". Pretty winning football is a bonus.
I think league 1 Lincoln City are too nice. Cowley took us too far far what made us successful too quickly. We've lost that "streetwise" streak.

I'm really missing those opposition manager moans -
"you know what you get with them"
"they're a big physical side"
"they're strong at set pieces"
"it gets them results but I wouldn't want to watch it every week"
"they're good at what they do"
"we'll play football the right way"

As stated it's all very Alan Buckley, or... early Keith, Steve Wicks...

But, I think we do have time on our side and am not too worried at the moment.

As stated it's all very Alan Buckley, or... early Keith, Steve Wicks...

But, I think we do have time on our side and am not too worried at the moment.

I was going to say the same re Steve Wicks - pretty to watch but no end product. That said we're not leaking goals like we did under Wicks.

Like you say, keep the faith and I am sure we'll be ok. #UTI

To quote someone else on here "Results end of". Pretty winning football is a bonus.
I think league 1 Lincoln City are too nice. Cowley took us too far far what made us successful too quickly. We've lost that "streetwise" streak.

Not sure I agree, especially when we’re missing Bossie. We’re adapting to a new division, that’s all. I wouldn’t be rushing to make too many sweeping conclusions just yet.

I am not sure we are really equipped to play “non pretty” at the moment. (Yesterday was it for us - as far as hoof ball goes).
Although we have 5’6” Hesketh and 5’8” Pett to mix things up.