Match Thread; Fulham Vs Forest, sponsored by £100m in Premier League money | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread; Fulham Vs Forest, sponsored by £100m in Premier League money

But I'm asking you what this time wasting was. You were there, I was not.

On the radio it was clear that the goalkeeper was taking his time. But all of them do that when winning. Lament the game rather than forest for that.

What else was there?

What else could there be with only 23% possession?

We only had the ball for 23 and a half minutes of the match. No doubt well over half of that was in the first half.

So how much time wasting could we actually manage?
Yes, when you put it like that. I don't think anything like one third of our possession was time wasting. We clearly were slowing the game down, but that is part of the (situational) tactical plan we had to deploy, just like compact defending, counter attacking and pressing.

The 8 minutes stoppage was both arbitrary and punitive yesterday, in my opinion.

I didnt think it was that bad yesterday, but it was there. It was worse in the Billy years definitely. But it was still there. It's one of the things, along with all the diving, that I absolutely hate in football today. The one thing that ruins it for me. So I hope it doesn't become part of our game. Nothing more frustrating than when teams do it to us, to slow up the game, break rhythm etc.
No IB, it's nothing like the things you mention, those are normal tactics within the game. Time wasting is cheating, simple as.

I didnt think it was that bad yesterday, but it was there. It was worse in the Billy years definitely. But it was still there. It's one of the things, along with all the diving, that I absolutely hate in football today. The one thing that ruins it for me. So I hope it doesn't become part of our game. Nothing more frustrating than when teams do it to us, to slow up the game, break rhythm etc.
No IB, it's nothing like the things you mention, those are normal tactics within the game. Time wasting is cheating, simple as.
Don't get me wrong, I am 100%
Against cheating and I include time wasting in that. Things like sending players to the far corner to then substitute them and them trudging snail-like back across the field should result in punishment for both player and coach.that is not what I am talking about. Playing against a team that dominates play like Fulham did requires that you break up play and slow things down and in the main that is what I saw yesterday not cynical time wasting but stoping play and disrupting the flow of the game. It's different and there is a thin line. My point was that line was not crossed very often yesterday, yet we were penalized as if it had been.
I am one of the first to criticize cheating when it occurs and as a coach it is ALWAYS my first and ongoing team-talk "we don't cheat and if I see you cheating I WILL substitute you.
I nearly always take the CP line on this issue against the we were robbed by bad refereeing crowd. Yesterday though seemed like as clear a case of a ref trying to influence the result as I have seen in a while.

In regard the so called time wasting, I dont that we were doing it on purpose...yes we won, scored two superb goals nd if we were careful we could have at least made their keeper work even more,but Fulham r such a good passing team. Defence was solid yes, but Samba made two crucial saves in the second half that practically gave us the points. In the first we were pretty even but the second, I think we conceded the midfield a bit too much. If the Milo goal came 10 minutes earlier, I dont think that we would have kept from scoring again.

Just watched on ifollow and we weren't time wasting anywhere near the stuff I've seen here from visiting teams.

Jenkinson 'injury' looked a bit like a tactic to break the game up, but that apart I saw nothing which crossed the line into outright gamesmanship.

We weren't doing it excessively, it makes sense to slow the game and disrupt a decent side who could have leveled. Might have been good to have done a bit more of it at Norwich last season.

Last edited:
Just watched on ifollow and we weren't time wasting anywhere near the stuff I've seen here from visiting teams.

Jenkinson 'injury' looked a bit like a tactic to break the game up, but that apart I saw nothing which crossed the line into outright gamesmanship.

So even the booking for the keeper was incorrect? Ho hum.

Watching the game revealed an organised defensive performance against a confident passing side.

But on top of that was the attacking threat. The early goal wasn't just a great team goal, it summed up the way Forest played from the whistle. Final ball let us down twice before Robinson laid it on a plate for Grabban.

Worrall even better than I heard on the radio. Dawson and Worrall crucial at the moment, defensive stability and homegrown talent.