EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 465 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

There is a risk of a recession in Germany as elsewhere but it's surviving it and coming out of it that really counts. There's a worldwide slow down but who is best placed to recover. Germany trades with 26 other EU states and others will join.

Who within Europe is left to join? Those that are keen to, like Turkey and Albania, form part of the reason we want to leave.

Norway and Switzerland had their reasons not to join so I do not expect a change of mind from them.

Who is going to be the hero coming in on their big white charger to replace us as the second highest contributor to the EU budget? Or are we sticking with Finland?

Who within Europe is left to join? Those that are keen to, like Turkey and Albania, form part of the reason we want to leave.
The five candidate states are: Turkey; Macedonia; Albania; Serbia and Montenegro. As you well know, Turkey has certain deals with the EU but is unlikely ever to be a full member because of human rights abuses that are contrary to EU conventions. As for the rest, what's your problem - voting? Too small to have a significant influence but the you never understood QMV. Just think of the Mercs, VWs, SEATs and Japanese care these ew countries will be buying.
Norway and Switzerland had their reasons not to join so I do not expect a change of mind from them.
Simple: Norway is an oil rich country with a population of about 5.5m. They are happy to pay their dues and get benefits of the single market. Switzerland wants to retain its neutrality but as an EFTA country accrues benefits from EU membership.
Who is going to be the hero coming in on their big white charger to replace us as the second highest contributor to the EU budget? Or are we sticking with Finland?
You're perhaps forgetting that the EU has signed several new treaties - the largest with Japan. They'll manage while the UK whistles Dixie.

Not sure why you're hailing the UK as all things to all men as part of the EU. Collectively, they'll get over us leaving; while we struggle doing deals with the EU, USA and other markets.

Like a worn out old record
OK professor, come up with some ideas as to how the UK will flourish post-Brexit. There's nothing worn out about those facts by the way bearing in mind we have to negotiate dozens of new trade deals. So, let's hear from you about our rosy future.

I really wouldn't like to live in Wayne's World.

Borderline manic depressive?

I bet you are the guy who says, "this has got nil - nil written all over it", five minutes into the game.

Chill out a bit.
Have a bit of joy in your life.
Live for the moment.
Take a risk.
Don't play so safe.

You might finds it's fun.

I really wouldn't like to live in Wayne's World.

Borderline manic depressive?

I bet you are the guy who says, "this has got nil - nil written all over it", five minutes into the game.

Chill out a bit.
Have a bit of joy in your life.
Live for the moment.
Take a risk.
Don't play so safe.

You might finds it's fun.
Like many of the rest more concerned about more countries joining the EU but never about the benefits. Like many of the rest you can't identify a single benefit that will come as a result of Brexit. Yes, no contribution to pay but that's gone in shed loads with the devaluation of the Pound.

Like many of the rest more concerned about more countries joining the EU but never about the benefits. Like many of the rest you can't identify a single benefit that will come as a result of Brexit. Yes, no contribution to pay but that's gone in shed loads with the devaluation of the Pound.

Even devaluation of the pound, while not desirable, has some advantages, e.g in the balance of tourism.

As for trade deals, they are never 100% beneficial to one side. Concessions will have been made on both sides and it will take a while to realise whether it was a good idea or not. I still reckon Japan would have driven a hell of a hard bargain as they would not be that desperate for trade with Malta, Estonia and Slovenia. Maybe they thought that the UK would come as part of the package, not believing we will leave either.

Malta, Estonia and Slovenia.
Why are you obsessed with these countries; all have a part to play in the single market, which you don't seem to comprehend.
Even devaluation of the pound, while not desirable, has some advantages, e.g in the balance of tourism.
Yes maybe but what is the net balance of tourism? What hurts is that much of industry has to import raw materials, oil is tied to the US dollar and we import loads of food and drink. If there is a benefit why did the UK economy shrink in the second quarter - it's not just Brexit uncertainty.
As for trade deals, they are never 100% beneficial to one side.
Obviously, that's what a mutual agreement is.
Concessions will have been made on both sides and it will take a while to realise whether it was a good idea or not.
Possibly and treaties do get amended or protocols added and no doubt there are provisions for the unforeseens such as
I still reckon Japan would have driven a hell of a hard bargain as they would not be that desperate for trade with Malta, Estonia and Slovenia.
Of course Japan would strive to get the best deal but what on earth is your obsession with these small countries. They are part of the Union and Malta and Slovenia are big tourist destinations.
force majeure.

A major part of why Japan, Canada and South Korea doing trade deals with the EU was because of access to the UK market.
I think that we can all acknowledge that the 19 small EU economies played little part in it.

You seem to be totally in denial to the importance of the UK as a trading big player.

The GDP of the UK is equal to the smallest 19 EU countries combined.

Another inconvenient fact in your argument.

A major part of why Japan, Canada and South Korea doing trade deals with the EU was because of access to the UK market.
Is that a personal or informed view? If it was the case, then perhaps Japan would drag its heels. The outcome, which was probably on the cards, is that Japan is retrenching and will build more and more in Japan - similarly Korea. Japan turned to the UK because it has less restrictive labour laws than the EU. Now they have a trade deal the UK is less significant.
I think that we can all acknowledge that the 19 small EU economies played little part in it.
But those counties are still a market.
You seem to be totally in denial to the importance of the UK as a trading big player.
Well, we're not seeing the EU or Japan talking up trade deals. At the rate it's going, the UK will drop behind India and France in terms of size.
The GDP of the UK is equal to the smallest 19 EU countries combined.
So what? Are we seeing the EU in a panic?
Another inconvenient fact in your argument.
It's almost an irrelevance.

Why are you obsessed with these countries; all have a part to play in the single market, which you don't seem to comprehend.

Hilarious. Do you ever read or remember your own posts?

I would wager you have mentioned Djibouti and Botswana in your forever sneery way far more than I have ever mentioned Malta, Estonia and Slovenia.

And I am obsessed?

I would wager you have mentioned Djibouti and Botswana in your forever sneery way far more than I have ever mentioned Malta, Estonia and Slovenia.

And I am obsessed?
My mention of those two countries was always tongue-in-cheek

You mean depreciation - not devaluation.

I didn't actually.

If the value of a currency against another is less one day than it was the previous day, it has devalued.

Of course, a government can take actions that can cause a devaluation on purpose as well, which I think is what you are referring to. Currency traders can also manipulate it.

Personally I associate deprecation with items of intrinsic value.

And I am obsessed?

Yes. You’re obsessed and very slow and illogical.

I am at a loss as to why Wayne even bothers to reason with you. You’re a lost cause who isn’t even open to sensible argument. Not a lot of what you say makes any sense.

I didn't actually.

If the value of a currency against another is less one day than it was the previous day, it has devalued.

Of course, a government can take actions that can cause a devaluation on purpose as well, which I think is what you are referring to. Currency traders can also manipulate it.

Personally I associate deprecation with items of intrinsic value.

It’s a depreciation. Not devaluation. You’re using the wrong terminology.

You meant depreciation.