EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 467 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

WK is right on this, of course, but unimportantly so. A devaluation suggests a conscious act by a central bank BUT it's not hard-and-fast. For example, letting a currency depreciate as the Chinese did recently by not intervening to support it, can be described as a devaluation in effect or, less clearly, as an effective devaluation. Remainers often say that sterling has been effectively devalued. And, of course, context generally provides a very clear guide to what a chap actually means, whichever of the two words he uses.
The pound certainly feels devalued to me. I used to get 2.5 NZD per pound of pension now I only get 1.9 NZD. Thanks Brexiteers for F***ing up my sunny uplands. Just need to get the wellies on now and go hunting for a few unicorns to fill the freezer.

The pound certainly feels devalued to me. I used to get 2.5 NZD per pound of pension now I only get 1.9 NZD. Thanks Brexiteers for F***ing up my sunny uplands. Just need to get the wellies on now and go hunting for a few unicorns to fill the freezer.

I’m on my holibobs right now. Usually £500 spending money would comfortably see me through but I’m spending closer to £1000 for a couple of days away atm.

But hey - at least there’ll be fewer foreign people in the UK as we take back control of our borders.

I feel for you. My income, however, is in USD and the U.K. looks a better bargain daily. At this rate, I'll be able to walk on to a JLR dealership with a spring in my step in a couple of years. Still won't be able to afford a new one, but I'll feel better.

Boris Johnson writes to EU.

Dear EU.

We want alternative arrangements to backstop. But we ain’t got s clue about any of the detail.

Love Boris.

Last edited:
I feel for you. My income, however, is in USD and the U.K. looks a better bargain daily. At this rate, I'll be able to walk on to a JLR dealership with a spring in my step in a couple of years. Still won't be able to afford a new one, but I'll feel better.

Excellent news for you.

I shouldn’t be surprised. We all know how much the £ has depreciated. But when you experience it for the first time, the economic reality starts to bite.

Ouch.

Seriously, currencies go up and currencies go down. Sterling will recover at some point. The dollar will fall. They say never make financial commitments based on exchange rates.

I’m on my holibobs right now. Usually £500 spending money would comfortably see me through but I’m spending closer to £1000 for a couple of days away atm.

Don't make much difference if you holiday somewhere like, say, Lancashire. Hear it's nice there. Plenty of space.

Oh my god, how awful for you. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I hope everyone that voted leave reads this, and is thoroughly ashamed of themselves

What a twat.

You’re right that the extra cost to my holidays is an inconvenience. For those companies and individuals who rely on imports - it will be much more serious. Added costs of production and food poverty because of increased cost of foodstuffs. That is what you should (but won’t) be ashamed of.

Boris Johnson writes to EU.

Dear EU.

We want alternative arrangements to backstop. But we ain’t got s clue about any of the detail.

Love Boris.

P.S - Alternative arrangements are that there will not be a backstop anyway if there is no deal. Ball will be in your court then. Still, I expect you will continue to enjoy solidarity with Mr Varadkar.

You’re right that the extra cost to my holidays is an inconvenience. For those companies and individuals who rely on imports - it will be much more serious. Added costs of production and food poverty because of increased cost of foodstuffs. That is what you should (but won’t) be ashamed of.

Why would I be ashamed? I voted remain.

You should be ashamed of your behaviour and language (but won't).

So, the PM tells the EU that the backstop is the sticking point and it has failed to be ratified three times.
The EU response is, the deal is the deal is the deal is the deal.

But, it's clearly not because it cannot be ratified.

So the PM says that, given that the the proposal cannot pass parliament, the UK will leave on 31st October.

The EU says the deal is the deal......

So, the EU is clearly either happy for the UK to leave without the WA or still think that the UK will blink.

Time will tell.

So, the PM tells the EU that the backstop is the sticking point and it has failed to be ratified three times.
The EU response is, the deal is the deal is the deal is the deal.

But, it's clearly not because it cannot be ratified.

So the PM says that, given that the the proposal cannot pass parliament, the UK will leave on 31st October.

The EU says the deal is the deal......

So, the EU is clearly either happy for the UK to leave without the WA or still think that the UK will blink.

Time will tell.

It’s always been a bit more caveatted that that.

The deal is the only available deal within the constraints of the EU’s established governing principles and the UK’s arbitrary red lines.

The EU has also always been open to alternative arrangements for the backstop but there were no viable alternatives that either the EU or the UK could find.

What we have here is political posturing for the benefit of UK votes. It’s all part of the anti-EU propaganda machine.

The EU has also always been open to alternative arrangements for the backstop but there were no viable alternatives that either the EU or the UK could find.

If we leave with no deal, an alternative arrangement will HAVE to be found, at least temporarily until a EU/UK Free Trade deal is agreed.