Pre Season Friendlies Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Pre Season Friendlies Thread

Not seeing what some are with Lansbury. Looks very average to me. Having said that Hourihane has been absent.

Jota is the real deal, and Engles looks good on the ball. Kalanic not tested, but looks composed. Green cannot be a backup for us this year. Has talent, but need confidence loan to league 1/ lower championship team for me.

Jota is very clever on the ball. Really good buy. The tempo was much higher than Sunday. Played some lovely football at good pace. Nice crisp passing and some good goals. Eleven changes coming up.

Green needs a season with a top league one club like Ipswich to prove himself. I like him and want him to do well, but he's not going to get anything in the prem.

Plenty of positives tonight, but must agree with the views on Green. He looks unsure how to beat fourth tier defenders, all too quickly opting for hopeful or hopeless) blind balls into space. Think this is his level I’m afraid

Green needs a season with a top league one club like Ipswich to prove himself. I like him and want him to do well, but he's not going to get anything in the prem.
He needs to be better than league 1 at this point... agree he isn’t going to get much in the prem, if we keep him it’ll be 5 or 10 minutes here and there

He needs to be better than league 1 at this point... agree he isn’t going to get much in the prem, if we keep him it’ll be 5 or 10 minutes here and there
Not sure if he'd get into a top championship team to be honest and there's no point in him going somewhere where the team will be up against it for 90 minutes like blues or west brom

Not sure if he'd get into a top championship team to be honest and there's no point in him going somewhere where the team will be up against it for 90 minutes like blues or west brom
I think he has to go to a championship side, mid table at least and it’s a case of sink or swim to be honest

I know not everything is coming off (it never will), but you really can see an understanding of what players are thinking in attack when on the ball and then the movement of those off the ball, knowing that's what they are thinking.

So, so, so different from the old days of hit it high and long and hope somebody has the pace to get there first.

Considering all of the friendlies so far, there have been a few pleasant surprises for me. Barney, Bree, Rhm and Davis have all looked good in the limited minutes they’ve had. I’d be happy for all of them to be backup/rotation.

I know not everything is coming off (it never will), but you really can see an understanding of what players are thinking in attack when on the ball and then the movement of those off the ball, knowing that's what they are thinking.

So, so, so different from the old days of hit it high and long and hope somebody has the pace to get there first.
Its going to take some adjusting to, haven't had a manager of this quality since Houllier

Hogan has one disallowed. Great work by RHM to give him the chance. RHM has been impressive. Lots of pace and willingness to run at defender's. A good loan spell with lots of playing time could be the making of him.

At least the fringe/youth are showing signs of something now though when they play. Can't judge the future but I'll take that as an improvement as RHM was living on hype really (especially from Tim But Dim). Looked far more assured to me there.

Good run out, plenty of positives and plenty of improvements still to do.