Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

I’m going to guess it’s a genuine worry. We’ve mentioned promotion clauses in transfers a few times. We’ll have money flooding out at the moment I imagine to Posh most probably. That’s before we even think about contracted player bonuses / promotion pay rises.

I'd imagine most players have a percentage increase in their wages written into their contracts post promotion so the budget might be a tighter as a consequence

I think (hope) it’s just smoke and mirrors to downplay the money we have available and create a ‘cause’ for League One next year. We certainly won’t be the poorest club in that division.

We lost -what? - £1 million last year? The money will run out unless:

1) Investment
2) Sell
3) Cup runs

We are playing the sensible game - when you get a new tv you do not leave the box outside for a week for the bin men

I am a pessimist by nature but the BBC interview was rather troubling. Cowley was basically pleading for investment, and his WBA answer was not convincing.

Investment or lack of it leads to poor liquidity position and creates an inability to make decisions you would like to make to move forward.

Player sweetshop now open but DC got no money?(waiting to sell an asset)
Worrying.

I think this is what lies behind Danny's comment in the podcast.

However, he has offered deals to Gilks (a third goalkeeper, two of whom will not be playing), O'Connor (who I do not believe can manage more than 35 games a season) and possibly Habergham (no guarantee he can manage any at all). Do we really have room in a small squad for all of these?

Simply NO.
Sam will work with youths and not play first team football.
Grant will go out on season long loan........................... back to 2 gkeepers.
MOC will play a part from the bench.

I think (hope) it’s just smoke and mirrors to downplay the money we have available and create a ‘cause’ for League One next year. We certainly won’t be the poorest club in that division.
Rochdale/Wimbledon/Accrington anyone............full of dosh? i don`t think so.

No Investment????
3 guys just invested just recently in the echo last week or the week before.
We're bound to sell at least one player to fund new players we have done the last two summers and we've done ok I do believe..

No Investment????
3 guys just invested just recently in the echo last week or the week before.
We're bound to sell at least one player to fund new players we have done the last two summers and we've done ok I do believe..

The common theme from Clive and DC though is that we need more investment, which you would expect.

bury? bolton? cov?

wycombe.
newport? if they go up.

Let`s not confuse this minor discussion(lcfc being the poor relations)with a few facts.
On ave.attendance figures alone then only 8 sides in league 1 last season had higher average attendances than that figure....lcfc=8,935

Remember that division 1 is made up of 24 teams so we are no where near the bottom end of the gates numbers
There is no direct correlation to finances and success on the pitch.ie the greater sum you spend on wages gives you a pro rata payback.

DC's playing on the budget thing much more than he ever has done. I can remember when he first arrived saying he wouldn't mention budgets too much but it's all he has spoken about since we got promoted.

That's either because there's a genuine worry there or it's being played down an awful lot from negotiation points of view i.e. he found it difficult negotiating last year when everyone assumed we had millions to play with and felt like we were close to paying over the odds on players.

We had a manager once who went on and on about the budget.