Aston Villa v Bristol City - Match Thread - Sat 13th April, 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Bristol City - Match Thread - Sat 13th April, 3pm

Agree, apart from the Scottish magician getting a mere 8......never anything less than 11 out of 10.......how very dare you give him anything less '57! :love1:

He was slacking yesterday 66 his performance wasn't as good as at Rotherham where he morphed into 2 players :grinning:

According to Lee Johnson apparently, it's unfair we have home supporters at each end of the ground at Villa Park while they were placed up near the Gods.

Also in the after match interview.... “Yeah, our keeper has made a couple of good saves”

He said last season how he thought our fans mocked him and his team after the 5-0 thumping so when they found out Joe Bryan quickly left Villa Park to talk to Fulham the official club twitter thought it funny to mock Villa by putting up a GIF with Bryan running away.

I don't know if it's true but in the tunnel, on the way out to start the game apparently, Jedinak grabbed Johnson's hand mistakenly thinking he was a matchday mascot.

Well here's a GIF for you Lee that sums you and Bristol City up nicely:grinning:

Last edited:
Oh yes oh yes oh yes.

First off, before I get to the Villa, I have always said that the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen at Villa Park was Jussi Jaaskelenian v Bolton , can't remember the year, but it must have been late 1990's - well yesterday beat that - that was an incredible performance by their keeper, and you have to say hats off to the lad.

Villa - barring a few moments, that will always happen against a side in form and in confidence, we were brilliant - especially 2nd half. Even at half time, I said, we are not missing any of JG,TM , JK or KH - we are just missing chances.

McGinn was just McGinn and it is an absolute shame for the bloke that what he did yesterday, is just seen as "just normal" - he is utterly outstanding, and it will be very interesting to see how far this guy goes. You have to temper it with the fact we are in the Championship, but we have had some utter class midfielders in my time, and he is up there. IF we go up, would love to buy back Delph and pair them in the midfield.

But special mention to a guy who gets flack on here, but I thought he was truly outstanding yesterday, and I would slightly give him MotM - Neil Taylor - that was brilliant yesterday, my only gripe was a little too honest, any other player, especially a forward, woudln'thave jumped over the bloke and got the pen, but really thought he was top class, as was El Ghazi 2nd half (although left NT out to dry a few times 1st half but Taylor dealt with it)

Jedi as well, utter superb showing, and Tuanzebe , although a few rusty moments, is getting back to where we knew he was before.

HUGE result, if only to show we can do it without out our so called best players.

MotM - harsh on McGinn, but I am giving it to Taylor

Very interesting position we now find ourselves in. I'm not counting my chickens before they are hatched but this squad has the confidence and togetherness to go all the way if they stay focused for the remaining games. Four league matches and a huge play off scrap with Albion awaits then a play off final, so winning the next 7 games of the season sees us back in the the top flight. Now here's the problem. We have a damn good Championship squad right now and if we don't go up we need to hang on to almost all of these players to give us the impetus to go up next season. However with the players we have now, we are in no way good enough to stay up if we did go up. Major investment in quality will be needed to have any hope of remaining a Premier League club, at least 5 or 6 top quality players with Premiership or equivalent pedigree. And if they can continue the togetherness the squad has now that will bode well. Fingers crossed we can do it. Bolton away next then Millwall at home - 2 sides fighting to stay up, and then the current top 2 of Leeds and Norwich who we hope have both secured promotion by then and their players are already on the their summer holidays by the time we face them.

Lee Johnson has done a terrific job at Bristol and he is outshining his father. Don't hear anything wrong with his interview he compliments us about the stadium and our use of it, and compliments us on our play. If not us would like to see Bristol City succeed.

Oh yes oh yes oh yes.

First off, before I get to the Villa, I have always said that the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen at Villa Park was Jussi Jaaskelenian v Bolton , can't remember the year, but it must have been late 1990's - well yesterday beat that - that was an incredible performance by their keeper, and you have to say hats off to the lad.

I go back further than that holtelower.

The best ever goalkeeping display by a visiting goalkeeper takes me back to the last match of the 1970/71 season when we won the old Third division title.

We played Chesterfield, the same club we played in our first match in the Third division the season prior.

The goalkeeper in question was a young keeper named Phil Tingay. We could of had double figures on that Friday night, but this lad put in the performance of his life! We did manage to win 1-0 but I'll never forget Tingay's performance. How he stopped a couple of Bruce Rioch's rockets I still don't know.

Last edited:
I thought we would have to win 10 out of 12 to get into play-offs, completely wrote us off up until the Derby game.

To win 8 on the bounce is truly outstanding, the place is buzzing again - whatever happens i hope we just stick with them like this.

Just sent a text to Talksport regarding them totally ignoring one if the greatest names in world football equalling a 44 year old record and how they should be ashamed. Doubt they will read it out. I hate Danny Kelly

So much is coming together at the right time, things just seem right don’t they? In the last few years there have been a few teams we’ve come up against and I’ve thought “why can’t we play like that?”; well we’re now that team.
To turn out that result with so many top, top players missing is unreal. Bristol were supposed to be like Barcelona but we humbled them. Having an apparent Villa fan as the ref didn’t hurt but we were SO much better than them. Their goalie had game of his life - do that on a regular basis and he’ll be in the prem long before brizzle.

Two bits of self flagellation:
- I was disappointed with smith for a while, wanted to see an overnight transformation into a better Brentford. Two things he’s done this week have my utmost respect; against Rotherham he had the nouse to change tactics and formation. It changed the game. Potato (for all I like him) never had that in his locker. Then yesterday he got a tune out of an 11 we’ve played a few times this season and always made us wince and groan in the past, that’s quality management.
At various points this season I’ve also written off Whelan, Taylor, Jedi and Elmo. Yesterday, all were faultless. Whether it’s coaching, confidence or what I don’t know, but ffs I’m enjoying it.

I fully expect in two years time to win the league cup and finish fourth. In six years time I expect to win the premiership and the following season the Champions League And for a bonus the FA Cup as well with the return of Godzvilla on the front of the Villa Times. The tune from an unmade silent movie is now playing in my head