Aston Villa v Bristol City - Match Thread - Sat 13th April, 3pm | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Bristol City - Match Thread - Sat 13th April, 3pm

Very interesting position we now find ourselves in. I'm not counting my chickens before they are hatched but this squad has the confidence and togetherness to go all the way if they stay focused for the remaining games. Four league matches and a huge play off scrap with Albion awaits then a play off final, so winning the next 7 games of the season sees us back in the the top flight. Now here's the problem. We have a damn good Championship squad right now and if we don't go up we need to hang on to almost all of these players to give us the impetus to go up next season. However with the players we have now, we are in no way good enough to stay up if we did go up. Major investment in quality will be needed to have any hope of remaining a Premier League club, at least 5 or 6 top quality players with Premiership or equivalent pedigree. And if they can continue the togetherness the squad has now that will bode well. Fingers crossed we can do it. Bolton away next then Millwall at home - 2 sides fighting to stay up, and then the current top 2 of Leeds and Norwich who we hope have both secured promotion by then and their players are already on the their summer holidays by the time we face them.

Don't agree about the players we have now being in no way good enough to stay up. I'd give us at least 50/50 chance of staying up. This squad is gelling and that's a big plus. Having said that, getting in a few quality players of the right type will give us a much better chance. But pulling the side apart as other teams have done would be a huge mistake.

Still reliving yesterday in my head. This run is beginning to worry me a bit now though. The lucky underpants could do with a wash.
Re: outstanding goal keeping performances against us, I remember the Dynamo Berlin keeper playing a blinder against us.

Bloke next to me asked an interesting question - who's better: McGinn or David Platt?

Tough one. If McGinn had Platt's scoring record, no contest. But I am loving McGinn's form at the moment - he's an absolute beast and where the f**k does he get his energy from? Hope he's not drug tested anytime soon ?

I love McGinn but Platt was playing at a much higher level. Both brilliant players in my eyes though

I love McGinn but Platt was playing at a much higher level. Both brilliant players in my eyes though
Platt was the forerunner of the Lampard-style of goal scoring midfielder. Had the knack of arriving at the right time and a composed finisher. However, decidedly average defensively and not a good shooter from distance. McGinn is better defensively, has an Ian Taylor-esque engine and is far more humble.
As for level of play, I think the modern championship is very similar to the old division 1, with possibly superior tactics and fitness levels...

Platt was the forerunner of the Lampard-style of goal scoring midfielder. Had the knack of arriving at the right time and a composed finisher. However, decidedly average defensively and not a good shooter from distance. McGinn is better defensively, has an Ian Taylor-esque engine and is far more humble.
As for level of play, I think the modern championship is very similar to the old division 1, with possibly superior tactics and fitness levels...

Yeah but he also scored loads of goals for England including Italia 90 and ended up moving to Juventus in the early 90's, when Italian football was still the top league in Europe. He is one of the best players we've had since our team of the early 80's. I'm not knocking McGinn but he hasnt reached those levels yet, hopefully he will do while playing for us

Yeah but he also scored loads of goals for England including Italia 90 and ended up moving to Juventus in the early 90's, when Italian football was still the top league in Europe. He is one of the best players we've had since our team of the early 80's. I'm not knocking McGinn but he hasnt reached those levels yet, hopefully he will do while playing for us

This.
Great as Mcginn is, he has some way to go before comparing with Platt.

Platt was a great finisher who happened to play in midfield. I don’t remember him ever putting in a tackle or sending in a set piece. Impossible to compare the two, other than both great athletes.

This.
Great as Mcginn is, he has some way to go before comparing with Platt.
From a purely footballing perspective both you and GGS are correct. I think it’s because McGinn is much more of a likable bloke and is the Des Bremner/Ian Taylor “blue collar” type. I always thought Platt was quite smug and not a real “Villa Man.” So personality bias wins for me... :grinning: