The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 73 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

We haven’t addressed the problems IMO.

A proper left back ( ok we seem to have maybe be able to stick a centre half there but unconvinced ).

Right back, we may have a good one next season.

Midfield - still too lightweight and lacks mobility.

Wingers - none of them are consistent or strong enough.

Maybe it’s just difficult in January?

From my perspective we have all these people employed in the background to get us performing and it never happens.

A lot of talk comes out of the Villa, very little action and this is not just this recent regime it’s been like that most of my life.

The sad bit about now it’s the fucking championship - only other time I was there was Sir Graham going through the place like a juggernaut and sorting us out.

Nowadays it’s just blah blah blah and blag.

Hope I’m wrong, bet I’m not.

It looks like they've used the window to ease FFP a bit and give game time to toughen up the youngsters. I don't know much about Carroll but hopefully Mings and Hause can do something to stiffen the defence. So long as they don't end up in the actual stiffs.

Always difficult in January but we have got rid of one or two and got 4 in . In my opinion Smith will need at least another 2 transfer windows to get the squad completely how he wants it , so patience maybe needed in the meantime.

Disappointed not to get Fer ,but it will be interesting to see where Mings and Hause (eventually) fit in.

Surely one of them will play left back.

There's a lot of miserable pricks on here who seemed to believe every link they read and are also experts in the transfer process.

DS I'm sure has signed who he wanted.
I doubt any signing has been shoved onto him. I trust him well enough to think that he and his team around him have done their homework and got in the players they wanted.
Seems we have a lot of people who are experts on Tom Carroll all of a sudden.

i hear the bleats of "why didn't we get Chalobah" (or any other player we were linked with). The answer is who on earth said we were in for them?!
How do you know that DS went and got exactly who he wanted and is happy with his lot?

Also, to those moaning about why we leave it so late, have a think. Other clubs won't release until they have a replacement. The club selling the replacement may also need a replacement - and so on and so on.
Do you really think DS wanted to leave it until the last minute?

It seems that there are a lot of fans on here with high expectations of who we should get and forgetting where we actually are in the League and where we are financially. Remember - we are a mid-table Championship club.

Stop whining about being "underwhelmed".
What would you rather have - big players that under-deliver or lesser players who may have a point to prove after injury or lack of first team opportunities?

No, Molly sounds level-headed and reasonable, and willing to give players the benefit of the doubt before they've even pulled on a Villa shirt. Some people prefer to see the positives, hard as that may be to appreciate.

Ain’t many positives though is there JPA?

If fact apart from being new faces what are the positives?

Apparently one positive is Mings gave a great interview after signing.

I’m happy to give Smith a chance, let’s hope the management can improve these players and more importantly they stay fit

Mings could prove to be a fantastic signing in my opinion. He was highly sought after when at Ipswich. No reason to believe he can;t get back to that kind of level with us.

Carroll though.... meh.

No, Molly sounds level-headed and reasonable, and willing to give players the benefit of the doubt before they've even pulled on a Villa shirt. Some people prefer to see the positives, hard as that may be to appreciate.

Well it's fairly level headed and reasonable to look at the playing records of those we've snapped up before the window SLAMMED shut and then be realistic about what they might offer.
Hope for the best but mostly it's underwhelming.

Ain’t many positives though is there JPA?

If fact apart from being new faces what are the positives?

Apparently one positive is Mings gave a great interview after signing.

I’m happy to give Smith a chance, let’s hope the management can improve these players and more importantly they stay fit

Well, to be fair, we won't know if there are any positives until they play a few matches. But we've managed to strengthen weakened areas in signing a new goalkeeper and two left-sided defenders. Don't know too much about Carroll, - was a decent prospect at Spurs but can't say I have followed his career since too closely, unlike others on here.

We've rid ourselves of Bolasie (gigantic waste of money), Hogan and Bree loaned out (hope we are not paying their wages) and fringe youth payers loaned out to get more experience.

The January window rarely produces much worthwhile, and Smith will need the summer window as a minimum before we can really start to judge where we are heading, imho.

There's a lot of miserable pricks on here who seemed to believe every link they read and are also experts in the transfer process.

DS I'm sure has signed who he wanted.
I doubt any signing has been shoved onto him. I trust him well enough to think that he and his team around him have done their homework and got in the players they wanted.
Seems we have a lot of people who are experts on Tom Carroll all of a sudden.

i hear the bleats of "why didn't we get Chalobah" (or any other player we were linked with). The answer is who on earth said we were in for them?!
How do you know that DS went and got exactly who he wanted and is happy with his lot?

Also, to those moaning about why we leave it so late, have a think. Other clubs won't release until they have a replacement. The club selling the replacement may also need a replacement - and so on and so on.
Do you really think DS wanted to leave it until the last minute?

It seems that there are a lot of fans on here with high expectations of who we should get and forgetting where we actually are in the League and where we are financially. Remember - we are a mid-table Championship club.

Stop whining about being "underwhelmed".
What would you rather have - big players that under-deliver or lesser players who may have a point to prove after injury or lack of first team opportunities?

I wish I was that optimistic, but with no apologies, I’m not.

I do hope at the end of the season that you are right to have that confidence, and that the acquisitions prove to be positive and affect results.

However I do reserve the right to wait and see and be cautiously reserved in judgment.

I must admit I was excited, (not enough to dampen my pants), by the Chalobah link, probably because I wanted Villa to get him when Chelsea let him go but, from what Watford have said, there hasn't been as much as an enquiry for him, so the paper talk was just that, paper talk.
Once Tom Carroll is match fit he will do the same job as McGinn, only on the left, If we had of got Chalobah as the DM, what a midfield.