Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 27 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Great recollection, mate. Was also disappointed at the size of the Kop. Not half the size of the Holte or even the South Bank at Molineux. Think it was Willie Anderson who hit the bar and, I agree, St. John looked offside. Tough days, but strangely very happy ones.
Isnt it funny that every Villa fans and maybe other clubs supporters as well when making the first trip to Anfield notice is the size of the Kop.
I expected much larger. Undeniably a great sight when it was in full voice but as you say a bit of a let down at first sight.
We are obviously used to bigger and better things.

Last edited:
Why is it that we retain “happy” memories of games from many years ago when we were, generally,’crap’ to be polite, when certainly,in my case, I have trouble recalling games even from this season? Is it simply senility, or has there been a serious disconnect between fans and the fabric of the game we all love? Think we should have a serious debate......

When we reflect upon games we have been to in the dim and distant past, we are in fact subconsciously reflecting on not just the game but indeed our lives . A happy specific memory from a game indeed probably relates to a wider context within our personal lives at that time. Equally vice Versa other emotions can be associated to historic games.

When we reflect upon games we have been to in the dim and distant past, we are in fact subconsciously reflecting on not just the game but indeed our lives . A happy specific memory from a game indeed probably relates to a wider context within our personal lives at that time. Equally vice Versa other emotions can be associated to historic games.
That’s a really good theory/explanation except that I’ve always been a miserably, pessimistic bugger!

Why is it that we retain “happy” memories of games from many years ago when we were, generally,’crap’ to be polite, when certainly,in my case, I have trouble recalling games even from this season? Is it simply senility, or has there been a serious disconnect between fans and the fabric of the game we all love? Think we should have a serious debate......
Its very funny you should mention senility, I think that is me. The strange thing is I well remember things such as getting off the tube at Euston Square 45 years ago and getting battered by Spurs fans, being chased all the way back to Hudderfield Station, running like a mad man to avoid going in the Trent at Nottingham and the car breaking down at Knutsford services resulting in a taxi to the game at Blackburn and back again. But I dont remember a thing about the games.

Last edited:
LP
Its very funny you should mention senility, I think that is me. The strange thing is I well remember things such as getting off the tube at Euston Square 45 years ago and getting battered by Spurs fans, being chased all the way back to Hudderfield Station, running like a mad man to avoid going in the Trent at Nottingham and the car breaking down at Knutsford services resulting in a taxi to the game at Blackburn and back again. But I dont remember a thing about the games.
Is it linked to the way old guys like me convince ourselves thaxxt our summer school holidays were six weeks of tropical sunshine and we were all babe magnets. A check of meteorological records shows that the majority of fifties and sixties summers were nothing special. So we remember the positives of our youthful years. Dad took me to my first villa game in the fifties which were a mixed bag of glory and gloom. But l fell in love with the villa in the sixties which were generally a disaster. This was the time of players such as Tommy mitchinson,Bobby park,dick Edwards and for a short period, John Woodward. In retrospect,this was a dire time for Aston Villa. But l can still recall Derby triumphs, beating man u. I've somehow wiped the many poor displays but remember great days with my mates. Perhaps a villan psychologist can help and explain our irrational obsession with our beloved football club.

:band2::band2:

LP

Is it linked to the way old guys like me convince ourselves thaxxt our summer school holidays were six weeks of tropical sunshine and we were all babe magnets. A check of meteorological records shows that the majority of fifties and sixties summers were nothing special. So we remember the positives of our youthful years. Dad took me to my first villa game in the fifties which were a mixed bag of glory and gloom. But l fell in love with the villa in the sixties which were generally a disaster. This was the time of players such as Tommy mitchinson,Bobby park,dick Edwards and for a short period, John Woodward. In retrospect,this was a dire time for Aston Villa. But l can still recall Derby triumphs, beating man u. I've somehow wiped the many poor displays but remember great days with my mates. Perhaps a villan psychologist can help and explain our irrational obsession with our beloved football club.

Is that Dickie Edwards guitar I can see?

One day I will sit down and try and work out how many villa games I've been to , must be up near the 1,000 mark now
Thats perhaps not such a good thread Silhill if wives and girlfriends get hold of the outcomes and work out the cost over the years.

One day I will sit down and try and work out how many villa games I've been to , must be up near the 1,000 mark now

God knows how many i have been at. I counted the away grounds it was 65 i think, some are non league now. I also remember getting to Brighton once and being late. Brighton scored as i went through the turnstile. We lost 1-0. The car had been towed away when we got out. It cost me £56 to get it back.
Lot of money in 80 or 81.

LP

Looking at my ‘portly’ shape in the mirror, I must have been a fridge magnet! You mention some equally memorable players especially John Woodward whose career was sadly ruined by a vicious tackle at Carrier Bag Albion. He was signed to replace the legend Tony Hateley but never got the chance to fulfill his undoubted promise thanks to that challenge. I worked with his wife at Walsall Town Hall and John eventually worked at the Gala Baths across the road.
Can remember Bobby Park scoring against Barcahampton Wanderers in a FA Cup second replay at the Hawthorns in 1965 , played on rolled snow. Lost 1-3. Another memory I’d like to erase as I was at school in Wolverhampton, a solitary Villain amongst 300 Dingles!

When the 3rd round of the FA Cup was indeed almost magical and respected in 1969 we were drawn away to Southampton.

I was 14 and still at school (shithole Cardinal Wiseman, Kingstanding) so money was tight and I went by myself the cheapest way I could find which was a Midland Red coach from nearby New Street Station.

There was a great atmosphere on the coach and as we finally approached the ground this guy got up with a trumpet and opened up the large fresh air cover on the roof and sat on top of the roof playing Villa songs as we all started to sing and chant along!

The astonished looks we got from the large crowd outside the ground was absolutely fantastic with the Villa fans scattered around going mental and waving at us on the coach and it was one of those crazy moments in life that somehow I knew would remain forever.

We enjoyed a great result with a 2-2 draw and 4 days later, we brought them back to Villa Park and in front of a massive crowd of 59.084, we beat them 2-1 which was another magical night under the Villa Park floodlights.HD_101216694_01.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Last edited:
When the 3rd round of the FA Cup was indeed almost magical and respected in 1969 we were drawn away to Southampton.

I was 14 and still at school (shithole Cardinal Wiseman, Kingstanding) so money was tight and I went by myself the cheapest way I could find which was a Midland Red coach from nearby New Street Station.

There was a great atmosphere on the coach and as we finally approached the ground this guy got up with a trumpet and opened up the large fresh air cover on the roof and sat on top of the roof playing Villa songs as we all started to sing and chant along!

The astonished looks we got from the large crowd outside the ground was absolutely fantastic with the Villa fans scattered around going mental and waving at us on the coach and it was one of those crazy moments in life that somehow I knew would remain forever.

We enjoyed a great result with a 2-2 draw and 4 days later, we brought them back to Villa Park and in front of a massive crowd of 59.084, we beat them 2-1 which was another magical night under the Villa Park floodlights.View attachment 30661View attachment 30663

We enjoyed a great result with a 2-2 draw and 4 days later, we brought them back to Villa Park and in front of a massive crowd of 59.084, we beat them 2-1 which was another magical night under the Villa Park floodlights.View attachment 30661View attachment 30663
Was this during the short but lively reign of Tommy docherty? I remember saints fans calling Mick channon doreen.did Peter broadbent score and did Lionel Martin score the winner.not sure about details as l also remember a 2-1 home defeat to saints when Jimmy MC calling hit a late winner in a thrill a minute game.l think Bobby stokes scored the winner against y red mancs in the final. My dad always said that the team who beat the villa always won the cup . I remember telling a posh fan last season after our annual surrender but he wasn't convinced.

JP Healy..................

This will answer the questions from the excellent John Lerwill site......

"1968/69: 29th January, 1969, FA Cup 4th Round Replay: v. Southampton, 2-1
This was the first sign of real life from the Villa since their relegation in 1967.
After a 2-2 draw at Southampton (after being 2 goals up in the first 19 minutes). Tommy Docherty (manager) had been at the Villa barely two weeks, Southampton were 5th in Division 1; we were still near the bottom of Division 2! 59,084 crowd were at this replay, making it a fantastic atmosphere! Villa played perhaps their smallest ever forward line at this time, and yet the main memory of that night is of Dave Rudge scorching down the right wing and putting a perfect cross for Lionel Martin to score. It was Broadbent with the pass that put Rudge in for the cross, though - a perfectly weighted defence-splitting pass from the centre circle to the corner flag which even the best player would be proud of. Once Rudge had got to the ball first and skipped over the challenge to square the ball to Martin running in, with Godfrey contributing a deft dummy, there was a split second with the cross still on its way when it was thought the whole crowd just knew a goal was inevitable.

Peter Broadbent scored his first goal for Villa that night, and in the next round against high-flying Spurs on their ground, Broadbent scored the second of his only two goals for Villa! Villa finally went out in that match, 2-3.
Team: Dunn; Wright, Aitken; Hole, Edwards, Turnbull; Rudge, Broadbent, Godfrey, Martin, Anderson."

http://lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/a_villa_games.htm

This was the first sign of real life from the Villa since their relegation in 1967.
After a 2-2 draw at Southampton (after being 2 goals up in the first 19 minutes). Tommy Docherty (manager) had been at the Villa barely two weeks, Southampton were 5th in Division 1; we were still near the bottom of Division 2! 59,084 crowd were at this replay, making it a fantastic atmosphere! Villa played perhaps their smallest ever forward line at this time, and yet the main memory of that night is of Dave Rudge scorching down the right wing and putting a perfect cross for Lionel Martin to score. It was Broadbent with the pass that put Rudge in for the cross, though - a perfectly weighted defence-splitting pass from the centre circle to the corner flag which even the best player would be proud of. Once Rudge had got to the ball first and skipped over the challenge to square the ball to Martin running in, with Godfrey contributing a deft dummy, there was a split second with the cross still on its way when it was thought the whole crowd just knew a goal was inevitable.

Peter Broadbent scored his first goal for Villa that night, and in the next round against high-flying Spurs on their ground, Broadbent scored the second of his only two goals for Villa! Villa finally went out in that match, 2-3.
Team: Dunn; Wright, Aitken; Hole, Edwards, Turnbull; Rudge, Broadbent, Godfrey, Martin, Anderson."

Still make me laugh when we had Wright Aitken Arce Hole in the same line up.

This was probably one of my most memorable Villa matches of all time.

It happened to fall on my 14th birthday and although I was always going to the match, a family friend was working at the hotel where tHE Southampton team were staying. She mentioned this to the Southampton manager, Ted Bates, I think it was, and he gave her a ticket for me.

But not any old ticket...this was for the DIRECTORS BOX!!!

I'd never ever been in the Trinity Rd. stand before that, and walking up those steps of the old Trinity stand and showing the commissionaire my ticket was an experience in itself!

Although the ticket was in the Southampton section of the box, this wasn't a problem until Lionel Martin scored and I lept oot of my seat shouting!! It got one or two funny looks and also a few smiles.

I've still got the ticket and I remember it as if it was only yesterday.

It will be 50 years in a couple of weeks time, but I bet I don't get a birthday present like that one...PRICELESS!!!!

Thanks Thomas,l thought l might have mixed up those two classic games. I'm pretty sure that the winner by Lionel happened because old warhorse Brian godfrey, using his ample backside blocked off the saints centre half ( name ?) Leaving a tap in for Martin.

This was probably one of my most memorable Villa matches of all time.

It happened to fall on my 14th birthday and although I was always going to the match, a family friend was working at the hotel where tHE Southampton team were staying. She mentioned this to the Southampton manager, Ted Bates, I think it was, and he gave her a ticket for me.

But not any old ticket...this was for the DIRECTORS BOX!!!

I'd never ever been in the Trinity Rd. stand before that, and walking up those steps of the old Trinity stand and showing the commissionaire my ticket was an experience in itself!

Although the ticket was in the Southampton section of the box, this wasn't a problem until Lionel Martin scored and I lept oot of my seat shouting!! It got one or two funny looks and also a few smiles.

I've still got the ticket and I remember it as if it was only yesterday.

It will be 50 years in a couple of weeks time, but I bet I don't get a birthday present like that one...PRICELESS!!!!
It was a magical night - never ever to be forgotten. My friends Dad broke the world record for the number of people in an Austin Cambridge to get us all there. No idea how I got back. To think it was nearly 50 years ago is just plain scary.

Thanks Thomas,l thought l might have mixed up those two classic games. I'm pretty sure that the winner by Lionel happened because old warhorse Brian godfrey, using his ample backside blocked off the saints centre half ( name ?) Leaving a tap in for Martin.
Maybe John McGrath?