Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 28 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Maybe John McGrath?
Thanks Villa since 67i think you are right.mcgrath was a real hard case who,in mcnaught and Evans style, took no prisoners.brian Godfrey expertly used his ample backside to take McGrath out, leaving a tap in for Lionel Martin.great night, when we're cooking on gas,villa park is electric.

When the 3rd round of the FA Cup was indeed almost magical and respected in 1969 we were drawn away to Southampton.

I was 14 and still at school (shithole Cardinal Wiseman, Kingstanding) so money was tight and I went by myself the cheapest way I could find which was a Midland Red coach from nearby New Street Station.

There was a great atmosphere on the coach and as we finally approached the ground this guy got up with a trumpet and opened up the large fresh air cover on the roof and sat on top of the roof playing Villa songs as we all started to sing and chant along!

The astonished looks we got from the large crowd outside the ground was absolutely fantastic with the Villa fans scattered around going mental and waving at us on the coach and it was one of those crazy moments in life that somehow I knew would remain forever.

We enjoyed a great result with a 2-2 draw and 4 days later, we brought them back to Villa Park and in front of a massive crowd of 59.084, we beat them 2-1 which was another magical night under the Villa Park floodlights.View attachment 30661View attachment 30663

I was on the Witton End for the replay as my older brother Royston (HEITS) would not take me into the Holte with his mates as it would spoil his street cred. The manager's dug out in those days was in front of the Witton Lane stand and as the Doc came walking round in front of the Witton End in his big sheepskin, I jumped out onto the running track and got his autograph on my programme. Big brother was suitably impressed when he picked me up outside the ground on our way home.
Those were the days!!!

Last edited:
I was on the Witton End for the replay as my older brother Royston (HEITS) would not take me into the Holte with his mates as it would spoil his street cred. The manager's dug out in those days was in front of the Witton Lane stand and as the Doc came walking round in front of the Witton End in his big sheepskin, I jumped out onto the running track and got his autograph on my programme. Big brother was suitably impressed when he picked me up outside the ground on our way home.
Those were the days!!!
Yes, the fa cup in general and the third round in particular, were indeed magical. I remember huge crowds at villa park. 70000 v Tom Finney's Preston and against the spurs double team. A replay against Peterborough was recorded as about 65000 but my dad reckons that was another 70000 attendance.even away at port vale was a 50000 sell out.sad to see the contempt shown by clubs now great fa cup memories, beating the baggies at the sty,winning at Wembley.

Yes, the fa cup in general and the third round in particular, were indeed magical. I remember huge crowds at villa park. 70000 v Tom Finney's Preston and against the spurs double team. A replay against Peterborough was recorded as about 65000 but my dad reckons that was another 70000 attendance.even away at port vale was a 50000 sell out.sad to see the contempt shown by clubs now great fa cup memories, beating the baggies at the sty,winning at Wembley.

My dad says a lot of the attendances back then you could add 5/10k minimum. You would slip the gatekeeper an extra 50p and the lad go in for nothing. Replicate that a few thousand times and you realise sometimes why are you so bloody packed on the Holte ?

My dad says a lot of the attendances back then you could add 5/10k minimum. You would slip the gatekeeper an extra 50p and the lad go in for nothing. Replicate that a few thousand times and you realise sometimes why are you so bloody packed on the Holte ?
Yes ovb,l remembering

I remember my father telling me about 76K in the Villa v Derby FA cup tie 1946. He said he was virtually carried out the ground by the crowd. He must have not that long got back from Burma and the war.

I remember my father telling me about 76K in the Villa v Derby FA cup tie 1946. He said he was virtually carried out the ground by the crowd. He must ha
. Dad, like many others,made the mistake of having a few pints before the l leave Derby game . getting to a toilet was out of the question.l leave the rest to your imagination

Those were the days!!!
I'd forgotten that the dugout used to be there. When did they move it? Anybody recall?

I remember my father telling me about 76K in the Villa v Derby FA cup tie 1946. He said he was virtually carried out the ground by the crowd. He must have not that long got back from Burma and the war.
That happened to me after the Sunderland, last game of the season, after we got promoted to Div 1. I'd stood on the Holte but on the right hand side. Combination of the crowd coming out of the Witton stand and Holte End. Lifted me off my feet and just got carried along. I'm 6' 3" and weighed 13 stone at the time (bit more now) and it frightened the living daylights out of me!

Yes ovb,l remember the old timers laughing when the official attendance was announced.no names no pack drill ?
My old man used to slip the turnstile bloke 5 bob (25p) to let me scramble under and into the Trinity Road Stand to sit on his lap. Bit embarrassing as I was 24 at the time!....no, not really but I did get to see most of the games mentioned earlier. The way the FA Cup competition is treated by clubs these days is nothing short of scandalous.

. Dad, like many others,made the mistake of having a few pints before the l leave Derby game . getting to a toilet was out of the question.l leave the rest to your imagination
That was a regular thing back in the day having a piss on the Holte.

My Dad mentioned that game a few times as well, he was there. I remember the Santos game, got there quite early to get in the Holte ... the crowds and queues were simply massive. I was in Trinity Rd, the depth of the queue was such that it was way into the road. It was a crush and I remember not being in contact the ground, just lifted off the floor. The cops came on horses and tried to push the queue off the road, get on the pavement - really useful. Still .. I got in. Many thousands didn't.
I know - it's all been said here before, but this was just after the monstrous Bournemouth game. This period was at the heart of the reincarnation of Villa - I wonder if our current owners have been introduced to this mesmerising unforgettable time.
And another thing - the 3rd division team of 71-72 would wipe the floor with anything Villa have fielded for the last God knows how many years.

This made me laugh and it's a great story!

[B]Mandm Fleming[/B]‏ @[B]mandmflem[/B] 12h12 hours ago
More
Replying to @[B]AVFCchats[/B]
"Kyle's close! A private developer submitted the road names, their engineer was a Villa fan, as was guy at the council who approves them. As a joke he submitted these, council guy let them go for a laugh but intended to change it before council adopted the estate."

"But then the council guy left his job and no one else at Northampton council spotted it, so they stayed as per the original joke submission, hilarious!"

[B]Kyle Griffiths AV[/B]‏ @[B]8de143e3e7564c6[/B] 14h14 hours ago
More
Replying to @[B]AVFCchats[/B]
"I worked on the estate when it was being built. The person who says yes or no to new road names was on holiday when a villa fan put through the names of the estate. Somehow the names just went through the system"

I bet Doug would have loved the last one:lol:DxYGQS7X0AMwh5u.jpgDxY4M8oWkAEnZ0S.jpgDxY4TJAWwAAsPag.jpgDxY4QFeXcAEa9WH.jpg

Last edited:
Remembering the late Villa player and manager Vic Crowe who sadly died on this day (21st Jan) 10 years ago.

He was a thoroughly decent man.:utv::utv:

DxbviDfWwAEXOk8.jpg

Remembering the late Villa player and manager Vic Crowe who sadly died on this day (21st Jan) 10 years ago.

He was a thoroughly decent man.:utv::utv:

View attachment 30934
Ok folks, let’s name ‘em from the left Scottish kid, Pat MacMahon, Keith Bradley, Vic, Lionel Martin, Lew Chatterley at the back, Dave Rudge, Willie Anderson, Fred Turnbull, Barry Lynch, ? Dick Edwards, ? Jimmy Brown? Or it’s just a right half.....C’mon, what do you want, wit?