Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 26 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Gavin used to wind the Small Heath lot up a right treat. They were always accusing him of being a closet Villa fan. It was far funnier back then than when Tom Ross took over the reigns.

Not much boxing day joy in recent years. Bar our win over Burton 2 years ago the only win I can remember is the 4-0 win over Everton way back in 2005. 2 goals from Milan Baros, 1 from Mark Delaney and a brilliant team goal from Angel.

Boca Juniors V Villa, Joan Gamper Trophy, Camp Nou 1984

Attachments

• 1FADE5B9-7F62-44A4-B240-A9B82BE4D76B.jpeg
    1FADE5B9-7F62-44A4-B240-A9B82BE4D76B.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
As we have Preston away today it brings back a memory of the late 60s
when there was a bad tackle on our youngster David Rudge, you could hear the crack when he broke his leg. I will never forget Lew Chatterley chasing the Preston player. Poor Rudge never really got going very well after that

As we have Preston away today it brings back a memory of the late 60s
when there was a bad tackle on our youngster David Rudge, you could hear the crack when he broke his leg. I will never forget Lew Chatterley chasing the Preston player. Poor Rudge never really got going very well after that
Was that the Cup tie when we must have had 8-10,000 following us who simply invaded the pitch at half time to swap ends, clearing the PNE fans out of the way in the process? Won the game 1-0 with a brilliant volley by a winger called Dave Roberts, who went on to have a long career with Shrewsbury Town.

Was that the Cup tie when we must have had 8-10,000 following us who simply invaded the pitch at half time to swap ends, clearing the PNE fans out of the way in the process? Won the game 1-0 with a brilliant volley by a winger called Dave Roberts, who went on to have a long career with Shrewsbury Town.
Remember it well, GPU,we were struggling big time so it was a surprise to win Preston were a decent second division side who had lost a lively cup final 3-2to West ham Alex Dawson (the black prince the pne fans called him). Howard Kendall was their rising star and he rattled our crossbar.our winner was a cracker,a stunning right foot Dave Roberts volley if my memory serves me well we went to a field next.although we lost 1-0 we played well.we hit their crossbar and Alan Deakin missed a sitter at 0-0 with fatty Tommy Lawrence stranded in no man's land.then, of course,the inevitable late redscouse winner in the dying minutes.ian stjohn with a diving header which looked offside. I remember enjoying a proper working class feel about the ground and the wit and sportsmanship of the scousers.only disappointment was the kop.we kept their fans pretty quiet and we could fit two kops in the holte.liverpool, with an ambitious, clued up board were to scale new heights Whist the old gents who controlled Aston villa were to lead us to Halifax,bury and Tranmere. On the plus side we had a great trip back to Northfield, back to the black horse to drown our sorrows as the inquest began

Yes. I was at that game as well and agree with you re Francis.

Brian Little was a better player.
Brian must have been the luckiest and unluckiest player ever.
So lucky to play for the mighty Villa, but so unlucky with his talent to have not been playing for a London or north west club.
His sublime abilities would have earned him so many caps.

Remember it well, GPU,we were struggling big time so it was a surprise to win Preston were a decent second division side who had lost a lively cup final 3-2to West ham Alex Dawson (the black prince the pne fans called him). Howard Kendall was their rising star and he rattled our crossbar.our winner was a cracker,a stunning right foot Dave Roberts volley if my memory serves me well we went to a field next.although we lost 1-0 we played well.we hit their crossbar and Alan Deakin missed a sitter at 0-0 with fatty Tommy Lawrence stranded in no man's land.then, of course,the inevitable late redscouse winner in the dying minutes.ian stjohn with a diving header which looked offside. I remember enjoying a proper working class feel about the ground and the wit and sportsmanship of the scousers.only disappointment was the kop.we kept their fans pretty quiet and we could fit two kops in the holte.liverpool, with an ambitious, clued up board were to scale new heights Whist the old gents who controlled Aston villa were to lead us to Halifax,bury and Tranmere. On the plus side we had a great trip back to Northfield, back to the black horse to drown our sorrows as the inquest began
Great recollection, mate. Was also disappointed at the size of the Kop. Not half the size of the Holte or even the South Bank at Molineux. Think it was Willie Anderson who hit the bar and, I agree, St. John looked offside. Tough days, but strangely very happy ones.