FA Cup - No Gordon Road for Gills | Page 2 | Vital Football

FA Cup - No Gordon Road for Gills

What? Only opening one stand in the first round round of the FA cup? Happened against Brackley at home a couple of years back and that's it as far as I can recall.

Agrred, when exactly were these other occassions specifically in the FA cup games. The FA cup was always something to look forward to but now has been relegated to the same level as the other waste of space cups by the club.

If you want a run in the cup then treat it seriously ffs. The Brackley game was so f flat that we might as well be away. Going into the one stand elimanates not reduces atmosphere.
It its going to be one stand then make it the RE with RE season ticket holders keeping their seats, its the only chance of producing the atmosphere required in a cup tie. Let the fans from other stands sit in the rema8ning places and if they want they can join in singing maybe.

This stupid backward idea of saving a small amount of money only goes to ensure a small listless crowd and increases the chance of us not even making round 2. Talk about short sighted.

Actually, having considered the posts on this issue I think I've changed my view a little.

Even with a small crowd it is best to have at least 3 sides open. Otherwise it's like a game in a park. I was at one such game (MK plastic in Autoglass iirc) that had two ends closed and it was terrible.

I was in the officially smallest ever Gills crowd for a league match v Doncaster in 1972 (1575 iirc) and that had all 4 sides open and was better for it.

Btw, am I the first the first person ever to change their opinion as a result of discussion on this forum? We've debated Brexit ad infinitum and I doubt if any of us has budged an inch over that.

As a season ticket holder, I like to sit in 'my' seat as the particular view is important to me. So too are the people in that particular area, not friends, but people that I only see at the game and that I find sociable. I have been trying to keep an eye out for when the tickets are available, but I will not like it if several of us cannot be seated together or, I end up only sitting at aground level view. What would make that even worse is if I have to pay the regular full price and have to put up with 'second best'.
I too am seriously considering not bothering to go now.

Actually, having considered the posts on this issue I think I've changed my view a little.

Even with a small crowd it is best to have at least 3 sides open. Otherwise it's like a game in a park. I was at one such game (MK plastic in Autoglass iirc) that had two ends closed and it was terrible.

I was in the officially smallest ever Gills crowd for a league match v Doncaster in 1972 (1575 iirc) and that had all 4 sides open and was better for it.

Btw, am I the first the first person ever to change their opinion as a result of discussion on this forum? We've debated Brexit ad infinitum and I doubt if any of us has budged an inch over that.

No that’s just not cricket.

Please re think what you’re doing. I would suggest digging your heels in, fetching a spade and calling someone a twat.

I nearly changed my mind about Brexit a couple of times from reading stuff on here, then WK and the RealWaldo wade in with their no-brainer; you'd have to be a moron stuff and my resolve is stiffened.

Interesting one for democratic theory is that research shows that floating voters are not maximum descriminators carefully making their choices, but ill-informed bubbleheads. Well there I am, then.

I do think the whole ground should be opened, and if only one part then it should be the Rainham End. Time was the first round of the FA Cup would add some to the gate. The main stand is dreadfully quiet. The people around us don't even react when a through ball opens up the visitors' defence.

Last edited:
Even the rustle of us old gimmers in the GRS getting our flasks out is noisier than the main stand.

Three reasons for having a season ticket.
1. Convenience - saves ordering a ticket for each game
2. Sit where you actually want to
3. Guarantees your same seat for a home cup game and priority for away cup games

As this is a cup game 1 is irrelevant and 2&3 have been taken away. Also causes annoyance, reduces the chance of progressing and will stop some people from paying the extra money to attend a cup game. What dont the club get about this.

Even if you agree with their deranged logic added to by not even allowing for definite reservation for medway stand folks then why are they bothering with ‘season ticket holders’ first then general sale later lol.

Last edited:
It just shows how resistant some people are to change. You would think some Rainham Enders / Gordon Road fans would like the chance to try a different view of the match, but it appears not.

It just shows how resistant some people are to change. You would think some Rainham Enders / Gordon Road fans would like the chance to try a different view of the match, but it appears not.

OK Lark, i`ll bite. Quite likely, i`d have thought, that any long standing (no pun intended !) Gills fan will have experienced watching games from various positions at Priestfield. I certainly have. Thing is, you get used to watching the game from a certain position and it`s arguable that it`s easier to make game v game comparisons. Regardless, I like to have the same seat. "Resistant to change" - nice one Lark, i think you`re having one.....

Why pay for stands to open when they will not be needed plus a percentage of the income goes to Hartlepool - you think the club have money to burn

It`s which stands though, Durham. Closing the RE is a mistake. Close the Brian Moore and GRS, if you have to, (I sit in the GRS) but leave open the RE and put the "Pools" in the Medway Stand in a sep section near BM Stand. easy peasy ........... See you at the Replay.

How many fans do posters think will buy their ticket and attend the game? I am going but would be surprised to see many more than 3k. Would personally rather sit in a busy Medway Stand than in my usual seat in a sparce RE.

How many fans do posters think will buy their ticket and attend the game? I am going but would be surprised to see many more than 3k. Would personally rather sit in a busy Medway Stand than in my usual seat in a sparce RE.
In the region of 1,500 I reckon

Why pay for stands to open when they will not be needed plus a percentage of the income goes to Hartlepool - you think the club have money to burn

I go for supporting my team to get through to the next round. The last fa cup game with the one stand was virtuallly silent and in my opinion contributed to us going out. We need the atmosphere, this is nothing to do with where people want to sit.
Surely the priority moneywise should be to get to round 2 and hopefully further.

I go for supporting my team to get through to the next round. The last fa cup game with the one stand was virtuallly silent and in my opinion contributed to us going out. We need the atmosphere, this is nothing to do with where people want to sit.
Surely the priority moneywise should be to get to round 2 and hopefully further.

A empty ground will still be a empty ground even with all sides open - if we need a atmosphere to beat Hartlepool we may as well give up

League games get about 4000 home fans

If the fa cup is down to about 2000 (my guess) then we should ask questions why and try to learn from it .

Durham, I think that your, or the management view will actually achieve less supporters as a result of the club's decision.
I am sure that I would rather those who wish to sing could be left in the Rainham end and not with me in the Medway stand!
As somebody mentioned on another thread, the club has 'pissed' off some number of people that would have gone to have paying for the additional staff.
It is about time the club started to look at promoting itself from the supporters view, 'cos that is where the money comes from.

To me it seems like a bit of childish/throwing toys out of your pram type of attitude to refuse to attend simply because you can’t have your usual seat. But each to their own!