Sheff Utd v Aston Villa, Sat 1st September @ 3pm | Page 24 | Vital Football

Sheff Utd v Aston Villa, Sat 1st September @ 3pm

I keep saying it , this league is there for the taking and we have the squad to do it.

Completely agree, we should have no problems with this league and the teams we have played so far should not be getting points from us.

I get you have the odd week, if we had beaten Brentford and Reading, but lost 2-1 yesterday you’d accept it and move on, but the fact we can’t beat teams who will be mid table and home is not acceptable.

My more impatient view is we (well the owners) need to decide if Bruce realistically can get his squad to peform for automatic promotion. If their view is no like mine, he should go now whilst we still have 40 games left. If our expectation is to hit playoffs and ride our luck in three more games that isn’t good enough for me as it’s risky and also, it means we aren’t going to survive in the top flight. That playoff schedule last season drained me, let alone the players and fans that also travelled to the away game up at boro unlike me.

I think they’ll take a few more weeks to work it out, but I want to see a drastic improvement on what I’ve seen so far this season.

Not defending the keeper , he looks poor to me, no presence poor comms with defence, makes everyone on edge. Clanger a game does not nullify 2 great saves. Who on Earth scouted this clown??

It was some one from hull Bruce said when he signed iv been chasing this kid for 4 years.

It was some one from hull Bruce said when he signed iv been chasing this kid for 4 years.

So he was 23 and playing for an unknown club in Norway, Bruce tries to sign him, doesn’t happen, 4 years later this same goalie is at the same unknown club playing the same standard of football! What are the chances?!

Real Madrid obviously messed up buying Courtois for £70m when they could’ve got this unearthed bargain for a fraction of the cost.

Wasn't there talk about a new system whereby a central team decided on players so that seamless transitions in management could be achieved?

Yes Merd.....didn't Wyness refer to it as 'The Villa Engine'? I don't think we ever switched the engine on in the first place.....!!

Just watched the Twitter vid of the fans. What a total and utter disgrace.

I go to away games, that is not an unusual occurrance, a guy was l saw at Burton was looking for it.

If anyone from the club reads these threads, you need to take note. Speak to people like Hutton and find out how the atmosphere was and what it did in the last days of relegation. It will not be long before it goes back to that, and once it does, there will be no going back.

This is a crossroads, and if handled correct we can be back in the top echelons of the Premier League by 2020 - get this wrong, and we will go down, no matter how much money we have.

On the game / goalie

27 years old - that's the thing for me. Johnstone was similar when he came in, so was Gollini - you expect it from 21 / 22 yr olds and the choice at that age is "do you let them make mistakes, knowing in 4 years they will be the real deal - De Gea being prime example.

At 27 - you should have a competent keeper and this guy isn't. He frightens me to death every time, so he must do it to the defence as well. For that reason, I don't think you can really have a go at Jedinak.

We should never have got rid of Steer, Steer should have been No.1 until Jan . whilst this guy was tested in the Carabau etc.. that decision was ridiculous.

I would give Morreira a shot - I don't give a toss about this guys confidence, I care that we win games, and this guy will cost us.

And he’s had another dig at the fans, rolling out the ‘I know what I’m doing’ sorry Steve you haven’t got a clue what your doing, we’ve been watching you for quite a while now and it’s evident you couldn’t organise the proverbial drinkathon At a brewery

Bet the new owners weren't expecting a decision like this so soon. They either back him or sack him. Personally I think they will give him another few games, if we get sparked out at Blackburn then the SheffWeds home game will be last chance saloon . I would imagine they are working on plan B now in case we do have to change manager soon.

I wonder how much say Xia has in it - he still has 45% of the club.

Now bearing in mind the other two have 55% between them, I would imagine Xia has the majority of the shares. (even though obviously the other two would side together) , then, is it right ths CEO owns shares.

Bruce said many times last season, "If we don't get promoted, I am out of a job" - so Xia obviously had told him straight

I suspect (hope) the owners are more on the ball than people realise. They obviously wouldn't want to sack Bruce while things were going in the right direction, given the other changes the club has gone through, but that doesn't mean they think he is the man for the future. This match and Burton before it should concentrate their minds.

It wasn't new recruits bedding in which was the problem; the back line was full of players used to the club. It was a horror show; as they stood there with shoulders slumping as yet another goal went in, they were so, so like our awful defenders in our relegation year. That's frightening.

The muddled thinking has gone beyond. What has Tuanzebe been brought in for? To displace Elmo at right back? If so why? If he's not going to play at CB why bring him in at all? Why play Jedinak at CB where he's terrible, get rid of the alternative Elphick, and not play Tuanzebe who's supposed to be a CB? Was Tuanzebe only brought in so that Elphick could be shipped out? Is Tuanzebe there so that when Jedinak comes back injured (again) from the internationals we have some cover?

I've watched the replays many times. Nyland was at fault for the third; for the second I have some sympathy as it was a cracking shot which just squirmed past him. Otherwise he made some cracking saves; he had to because he was horribly exposed. The problems were all in front of him. For the second goal Chester had to try to cover a huge hole because Jedinak was too wide; when the shot came in between the two of them Chester at least tried to get to it, but Jedinak didn't react.

Bottom line: this and Burton demonstrate one thing quite clearly. The manager isn't good enough. And the coaches are crap.

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, having seen Chris Wilder's teams play, I predicted a 3-1 loss and so it proved only worse.

With the defence and goalkeeper as they are at the moment, we are easy pickings for any team that plays an aggressive pressing game and will continue to be so, as player's confidence disappears. If we can't get results in the next three games, just look at the fixtures and wait until we get to December:eek!::shake:

I have never had faith that the strategy of signing Premiership journeymen, injury prone uncertainties and never quiet made its and hoping for the best will get us out of this division. IMO you can kiss any hope of automatic promotion goodbye already. We need a team full of players with the attitude and work rate of John McGinn and that's before you begin to talk about skill, talent and tactics.

As for SB, sad to say that the signs are that it's going to get ugly.
Some of the comments attributed to him (if true) are unbeliveable.
Above all, the players aren't good enough and tactics don't matter/ not important. He can't believe that and communicate it to the squad surely?:slap: The positivity and togetherness of last season is quickly beginning to unravel!

As for those fans who have insisted that results are all and performance secondary, this is where you end up.

Changing a manager at this point in the season is the worst possible case scenario for a club, yet I can see no other outcome. Who enjoys Villa Park and matchdays when the team is failing? During the relegation season, I couldn't even bring myself to read the posts on here.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think I really don't.

Like you say it would be pretty senseless to sack Bruce now, but on the other hand we keep having performances like the one yesterday ,and if that carries on then we can kiss goodbye to promotion.

I keep saying it , this league is there for the taking and we have the squad to do it.

Not great again is it .What a situation at the club
Wait and it could be too late but do it now and none of us who want him gone or think he should go can really complain about 'modern football ' again.
Because we are advocating sacking a manager who hasn't even played any of the players he has been allowed to sign!.

If Bruce is to be kept because of the reasons mentioned, then fair enough. There are valid reasons there.

But that means this season is a write-off. We can waste a whole season or get someone else in and maybe give ourselves a chance of promotion.

If Bruce is to be kept because of the reasons mentioned, then fair enough. There are valid reasons there.

But that means this season is a write-off. We can waste a whole season or get someone else in and maybe give ourselves a chance of promotion.

Imagine another playoff qualifier and play off final with a Bruce set up. That’s providing we hit his target of a play off position.

Well that was just plain awful wasn't it. Shockingly bad, and I won't even bother to try and come on here and defend Bruce as yesterdays result was undefendable. Completely embarrassing.

There can be no repeat of that, and he HAS to sort that defence out quickly otherwise he's going to be under massive pressure.

I still back him to turn it round, although it's going to be very difficult now the window has shut. First thing he needs to do is admit that Jedi is no CB and work from there. I'd personally go for a back 4 of Hutton, Chester, Axel, Taylor and give them a run of games to build a relationship. I've never rated Taylor, but we need defenders who can defend right now.

Lots of food for thought over the international break. I just hope he turns it round and gets it right. Any more performances like that and the pressure on him would surely be too much.

Come on Brucie! Sort it out!

Only seen the "highlights", thank McGrath

Goal 1 - Axel asleep loses man , free header
Goal 2 - McGinn brushed aside like Westwood in disguise, good finish mind you
Goal 3 - dear oh dear , Enckleman award goes to....
Goal 4 - poor throwout puts us under the cosh , but beyond bad keystone cops defending .

Goal 5 - nice finish by El Ghazi . Glad he's off the mark

Well I've had enough time to calm down now and those who know me can verify that I am Mr Positive, yet for some reason I actually expected yesterdays mauling, I will always back the manager till I can't, Mr Bruce, you are running out of time, or in the words of the great Ian Taylor "We're Aston Villa and THAT'S not good enough!!!" Fancy the job Tayles?

Deano, he's already under tremendous pressure which has been brought on totally by himself.
He won't turn anything around as he's lost the players and the fans, plus he doesn't know how to turn it around.
ATM mate I think you are very much in the minority in thinking Bruce can pull it off.

Well that was just plain awful wasn't it. Shockingly bad, and I won't even bother to try and come on here and defend Bruce as yesterdays result was undefendable. Completely embarrassing.

There can be no repeat of that, and he HAS to sort that defence out quickly otherwise he's going to be under massive pressure.

I still back him to turn it round, although it's going to be very difficult now the window has shut. First thing he needs to do is admit that Jedi is no CB and work from there. I'd personally go for a back 4 of Hutton, Chester, Axel, Taylor and give them a run of games to build a relationship. I've never rated Taylor, but we need defenders who can defend right now.

Lots of food for thought over the international break. I just hope he turns it round and gets it right. Any more performances like that and the pressure on him would surely be too much.

Come on Brucie! Sort it out!

Deano you say anymore performances like that??

There must be 10+ performances where we have been shockingly bad. Then you have the halves of football again when we have been shocking. It’s a regular occurrence under Brucie and it shows no sign of stopping.