Sheff Utd v Aston Villa, Sat 1st September @ 3pm | Page 25 | Vital Football

Sheff Utd v Aston Villa, Sat 1st September @ 3pm

I don't recall us being ripped apart like that for a long time... and certainly this season we've been unbeaten in the league until Saturday, so yes I'm hoping that was a one off... but if results don't improve then I've acknowledged pressure will be massively on him.

Feel free to name the 10+ matches we have had our pants completely pulled down, as I don't remember them.

I don't recall us being ripped apart like that for a long time... and certainly this season we've been unbeaten in the league until Saturday, so yes I'm hoping that was a one off... but if results don't improve then I've acknowledged pressure will be massively on him.

Feel free to name the 10+ matches we have had our pants completely pulled down, as I don't remember them.

There’s all the cup exits, admitting that Bruce made wholesale changes. Saturdays game, the play off final, that 3 game spell starting with Norwich there’s 7/8.

For me it’s not the individual games. It’s the awful halves of football that are a common and recurring event.

Don’t expect Man C style attacking football but would like the season sprinkled with positive football and the odd game where I see a whole 90 mins of decent football. A lot to ask for maybe?

The 3 game spell starting with Norwich?

Norwich 3 Aston Villa 1
Aston Villa 1 Cardiff 0
Aston Villa 1 Leeds 0

I quite like wins personally.

In fact since Bruce took over we've only ever lost by more than 2 goals twice before.... to Brentford and Cardiff.

So I'm struggling to see how you can see we've been dicked on in 10+ games.

Look I'm not defending Saturday, as I said it's undefendable, but come on you're just making stuff up now.... we've lost games, all teams do.... but we've not been completely turned over very often. 3 times in 2 years.

I once again remind you Wolves lost to Sunderland 3-0 last season which proives everyone can have an off day but to suggest there's some sort of pattern is ludicrous.

Losses to Brentford, Wolves, several draws against those two, the loss to Cardiff, Fulham away, Reading away, Millwall away.

All of those games we were played off the park. Even the late win at Sheffield Wednesday was not great.

Losses to Brentford, Wolves, several draws against those two, the loss to Cardiff, Fulham away, Reading away, Millwall away.

All of those games we were played off the park. Even the late win at Sheffield Wednesday was not great.

So you're saying we're not allowed to lose or draw games any more?

Doesn't give any new manager much hope of winning over the fans then.

I am still perplexed as to how a top class centre-back can pick an ageing and slow as a centre-back. We all knew when he was playing Jedinak as CB what the outcomes would be - we saw it on a couple of occasions last season when John Terry was injured. Learning is about seeing what has happened and modifying the behaviour or approaches. As Albert Einstein said "insanity is doing the same thing time and again and expecting different results". We all knew where the problems lay and letting Elphick leave - to a potential promotion contender no less - is nothing short of madness. The jury is still out on Nyland until there is a defence in front of him - I am sure that DeGea would be nervous behind the CB that we have in place.
If the owners want to save this season, then get on a plane and seek out John Terry in Portugal or wherever he is and make him an offer that he can't refuse as a free agent - perhaps that offer is that he comes and plays for a season and then he becomes the manager.

The state he's left our defence in is unforgivable I'll grant you that, but it is what it is now, any new manager coming in will have the same players to work with (i.e. no centre backs)

The 3 game spell starting with Norwich?

Norwich 3 Aston Villa 1
Aston Villa 1 Cardiff 0
Aston Villa 1 Leeds 0

I quite like wins personally.

In fact since Bruce took over we've only ever lost by more than 2 goals twice before.... to Brentford and Cardiff.

So I'm struggling to see how you can see we've been dicked on in 10+ games.

Look I'm not defending Saturday, as I said it's undefendable, but come on you're just making stuff up now.... we've lost games, all teams do.... but we've not been completely turned over very often. 3 times in 2 years.

I once again remind you Wolves lost to Sunderland 3-0 last season which proives everyone can have an off day but to suggest there's some sort of pattern is ludicrous.

I like wins like you.

Sorry got mixed up but the 3 game spell last season where we where awful QPR game springs to mind.

So you're saying we're not allowed to lose or draw games any more?

Doesn't give any new manager much hope of winning over the fans then.
Not Deano, just that we have not been stella over the last two seasons. Bruce has done a good job on the whole, and has given us all hope again. I just don't think we have dominated in the way that I think we should have given the amount of player recruitment over that period. We have all been broadly happy with the transfer dealings, yet we continue to look disjointed.

We will never know if someone else could have done more, but I'm starting to look forward. No one lasts forever in football.

I'm not overly bothered about being stellar I just want to go up.

We were a nats whicker away from that last season, and I still think Bruce is the man best qualified to get us close again.

it's just my opinion, and I know it's not a particularly popular one after Saturday, but we had setbacks last season and we bounced back from them, so I'm hoping we can do the same again.

I like the optimism Deano, and Bruce has turned mini crises around before. It just feels different this time - no JT, no Snodders to galvanise the team around. Can't underestimate their value to us last year.

It's not the defeats as such , as everyone loses a game., it's the manner of the defeats. Saturday was alarming , and so was Cardiff , Norwich , Bolton and a couple of others last season. That's what worries me ., it shouldn't be happening with our squad where we just roll over and lose.

Saturday was the worst of all those .

I agree SirDen... the manner of Saturdays performance and result was completely unacceptable.

I'm just not convinced we're the only ones to suffer them. As said Wolves lost 3-0 to Sunderland last season.

I think they happen, and it's important how we respond, and how we perform over the course of 46 games.

We've started the season better than last year results wise, so the platform is there.

I just hope Saturday was a blip. If it becomes a regular occurrence then obviouslky he has to go.

Bruce is hanging himself tbh.

An unproven centre back at right back, a right back at left back & to top it all off, an ageing, slow centre mid at center back.

A back 4 with 3 players out of position, &he wonders why we're leaking goals.

Oh yes, & the keeper, again unproven in this league, very shaky.

Getting bored of his "we are always a week away from a crisis", change the record please.

I'm just not convinced we're the only ones to suffer them. As said Wolves lost 3-0 to Sunderland last season.

That's slightly misleading Deano - that was in the last game of the season when Wolves were on the beach. They basically blew everyone away the rest of the time (apart from us, obviously!)

The issue for me is that Saturday was an accident waiting to happen. The quality of the performances are generally poor, and there are virtually no signs of improvement nor a longer-term plan or direction over the past two years.

He's had four transfer windows to shape the squad and we've been left with a woefully unbalanced group of players with some glaring deficiencies in key areas. That's pretty indefensible, even allowing for the financial meltdown earlier in the summer.

Ok fair enough but they also drew with Sunderland at home, lost to Forest 2-0 at home, and lost to us 4-1.... all games they would be expected to win.. or at least not get thrashed.

I said at the beginning I'm not defending Saturday, and I'm not although I'm starting to sound like I am.

I'm just not a knee jerk person, and I was with Bruce on Saturday at 14:59, so I'm not going to change my opinion after 1 performance.

Another couple like that though and even I'd be calling for his head.

I said at the beginning I'm not defending Saturday, and I'm not although I'm starting to sound like I am.

I'm just not a knee jerk person, and I was with Bruce on Saturday at 14:59, so I'm not going to change my opinion after 1 performance.

Another couple like that though and even I'd be calling for his head.

To be honest, I am neither pro-Bruce nor anti-Bruce. We are where we are. I just think it's amazing how the squad has ended up looking back after four transfer windows.

For me, there is absolutely no way we will even make the play-offs with the defence we have ended up with. If we're anywhere near promotion it will be one of the greatest achievements of Bruce's managerial career.