World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 54 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Definitely. Croatia have looked good at times but have also struggled at times.

Throughout the tournament they have played tougher opposition and have been taken to penalties twice but that will possibly have taken its toll and they could suffer for it Wednesday.

Objectively their midfield is better, our attack is better and the defences are about even. As you say both sides will think they can win it.

Bring it on!!
I agree, but i thought our midfield were masterful today!

Sterling seems to freeze when he's created the opportunities, he did run them ragged and it does open things up for others but his decision making needs work. Croatia are beatable, Southgate may need to sacrifice Ali for someone who can help out more in the midfield as that's where their main threat is.

Yeah Alli made up for his uninspiring tournament so far with the goal and Sterling ran himself into the ground again. The swedes shat themselves every time he got a goal and I was gutted that he didn’t get on the scoresheet.

Walker I agree is the weak link in that defence. Gives the ball away too often, has to use his pace too often to get himself out of trouble and on a few occasions when he should have crossed he didn’t.

Was a good game though and a far cry from the travesty that was the Colombia game.

Looking forward to the Croatia game and what should hopefully be a good open game.

There's no doubt about it, England seem to be a different team to what I've seen in this last few World Cups. Just watched our local TV station again and it included an excellent after game summary from Southgate. I was impressed. No crap, no rubbishy remarks about the opposition, just good constructive accurate comments on the game and players with a bit of informative stuff to go with it. In the last few years I can't recall any of our World Cup coaches speaking in this manner.
Two points come to my mind, first he spoke of the number of foreign coaches now working in the UK and the effect that they were having. He didn't elaborate, didn't need to.He also mentioned that most of our players were playing in the U.K. Again he didn't elaborate but the inference was obvious.

Sterling has really copped it from posters in this series but I think he's worth keeping. He's obviously still got a long way to go with his finishing (or lack of it) but those blistering runs play hell with the opposition and for that reason alone I reckon he's earned his keep.

:tophat:

We are still waiting for Sterling to 'explode' on the scene.

Everyone can see what he could do to teams. We are just still waiting for him to do it

Granted sterling should have more goals but I’ve been impressed with his work rate and positive play all tournament. His role in this team should not be underestimated and has impressed far more than some others
I agree. I think Alli’s goal masked another average performance yesterday, I would bring in Loftus Cheek for him, as he has more bite. All opinions of course, but I’ve never been a fan of Alli, and maybe that’s masked my judgement

I have said for a while that I really feel for Sterling. He has worked his arse off this tournament with very little reward. His season at Citeh has raised expectations of him as well to the point where if he doesn’t score he is vilified.

I do agree that there may come a point where he is replaced but yesterday he ripped the Sweden defence a new arsehole and was the one player I hoped would get a goal.

I actually find it odd the level of abuse he gets. If he was able to replicate his Citeh form for England we would be the better for it so surely we should be encouraging, not vilifying.

As a question as well, who would we replace him with at this stage of the tournament? Rashford has been average at best and I honestly don’t see what the hype is all about. If Sterling runs into blind alleys too often then Rashford is even worse and sometimes looks like he is unsure what to do with the ball at his feet.

For me we keep the same side and go again, maybe replacing Walker and Alli but that would be it for me.

We need walker for his pace. Has got us out of a few dodgy moments. He also allows us to play further up the pitch. His distribution has been a bit shit though. Rashford sgould have come on much earlier to give 1 of the 2 front lads a rest at 2-0. He had precious little time. Lingard for me has been brilliant. He has covered so much ground and has chipped in with a goal and assists. Need to watch his tendency to dive. On that subject Sterling would have had a nailed on pen if he went down under the keeper but he was too honest. Didn’t get any credit for it though!

We need walker for his pace. Has got us out of a few dodgy moments. He also allows us to play further up the pitch. His distribution has been a bit shit though. Rashford sgould have come on much earlier to give 1 of the 2 front lads a rest at 2-0. He had precious little time. Lingard for me has been brilliant. He has covered so much ground and has chipped in with a goal and assists. Need to watch his tendency to dive. On that subject Sterling would have had a nailed on pen if he went down under the keeper but he was too honest. Didn’t get any credit for it though!

I agree. Young also deserves mention. Like sterling there r some things I want to see young do like a final delivery or beat a man. However, last two games both players worked hard. Young did a lot of breaking up play yesterday and seemed to use his experience a bit.

I like this new England team and the new attitudes they bring with them. So in that spirit no more bitching individuals for me.

Win together, lose together.

There's no doubt about it, England seem to be a different team to what I've seen in this last few World Cups. Just watched our local TV station again and it included an excellent after game summary from Southgate. I was impressed. No crap, no rubbishy remarks about the opposition, just good constructive accurate comments on the game and players with a bit of informative stuff to go with it. In the last few years I can't recall any of our World Cup coaches speaking in this manner.
Two points come to my mind, first he spoke of the number of foreign coaches now working in the UK and the effect that they were having. He didn't elaborate, didn't need to.He also mentioned that most of our players were playing in the U.K. Again he didn't elaborate but the inference was obvious.

Sterling has really copped it from posters in this series but I think he's worth keeping. He's obviously still got a long way to go with his finishing (or lack of it) but those blistering runs play hell with the opposition and for that reason alone I reckon he's earned his keep.

:tophat:

What's important is his work off the ball. Brit could learn a lot from watching!

Just want the Belgians to win this one!

My boss was in Hamburg the weekend so watched the England game with German football fans, most of whom wanted England to win.

What he took from it though was how much the Germans despised the French. Every single fan he spoke to wanted the French to lose.