Gills fans survey | Page 4 | Vital Football

Gills fans survey

So a well run club is one that ran up £13m of debt that it couldn't service and had to rely on the debt restructuring and the bank to right of a significant part all of the debt?

Durham, you're initial statement was inferring that supporters don't have a clue about what goes on behind the scenes. My point is that some supporters do have/have had dealings with the club and know some of the goings on, hence why there is such apathy towards Scally and doing business with GFC locally and from local businesses.

Neither of the above point to a well run business.

And as i stated I do business from a local branch with the club every month and have done for 30 years so I have some idea of how the club is run and the changes that have been made even before PS

So your inferring the court investigations in the club were flawed

So a well run club is one that ran up £13m of debt that it couldn't service and had to rely on the debt restructuring and the bank to right of a significant part all of the debt?

My point is that some supporters do have/have had dealings with the club and know some of the goings on, hence why there is such apathy towards Scally and doing business with GFC locally and from local businesses.

Neither of the above point to a well run business.

At the same time he was able to negotiate a bank write off so some credit there. For someone who is terrible at running a club he has failed to bankrupt us on multiple occasions despite being on the apparent brink of near doom.

Most of the moaning I have heard from local businesses in relation to the club is related to the speed in which we pay the bills. I've not heard any stories which isn't ultimately related to that.

And as i stated I do business from a local branch with the club every month and have done for 30 years so I have some idea of how the club is run and the changes that have been made even before PS

It's you're not your. When did the court investigate the club - not that courts investigate and, if it was PS' lawyer who said the club is well run then he would say that wouldn't he, when putting forward GFC's claim?

Its not PS`s lawyers that does the investigation - has to be unbiased and would normally be carried out by a audit company not associated with either party

In unusually strong language for a Judge, in his Judgement Sir Alistair MacDuff described the caterer’s behaviour as “disgraceful”, “bullying” and said they had engaged in “blackmail”, stressing these were words he himself was introducing to the case.

He said the company’s behaviour was “wholly unprofessional and something of which it should be ashamed”. In stark contrast he described Gillingham Football Club’s Chairman Mr. Paul Scally as “admirable” and praised him for his running of the Club.

Goes further if you can be arsed to look

So do you think a business of GFC's size that ran up a £12m debt that it couldn't afford to service is a well run business?

Regardless of what a judge thinks of a business, surely the most important thing for any business is happy customers that want to and are happy to do business. There is an apathy towards GFC, both from business, the local community and even its fans/customers are falling away in terms of going to games and buying ST's which then has a knock on effect on the business, not for the better.

Clearly the bank don't think we're a good business, P.S. had to go cap in hand to supporters to buy two year ST's to finance our court case.If we had such a stone wall case why would P.S. not have got the money needed to fight the case from the bank?

That is not a well run business.

You're perhaps forgetting one thing Captain - GFC is a football club not a company manufacturing widgets that would be subject to the normal effects of supply and demand.

So do you think a business of GFC's size that ran up a £12m debt that it couldn't afford to service is a well run business?

Regardless of what a judge thinks of a business, surely the most important thing for any business is happy customers that want to and are happy to do business. There is an apathy towards GFC, both from business, the local community and even its fans/customers are falling away in terms of going to games and buying ST's which then has a knock on effect on the business, not for the better.

Clearly the bank don't think we're a good business, P.S. had to go cap in hand to supporters to buy two year ST's to finance our court case.If we had such a stone wall case why would P.S. not have got the money needed to fight the case from the bank?

That is not a well run business.

Many business run up debts, its part of business but its really how your deal with the debt that matters and PS has - oh dear is that wrong as well

The local community / business have never been behind the club - hence why PS has to step in when he purchased the club.

There are plenty on businesses willing to trade with the club - mine and those i represent included

Not such thing as a stone wall court case - why go to the bank when you have a alternative but PS was proved to have taken the correct action.

Yes ignore the judge as it doesn't reflect your argument and after you know better than he does

Many business run up debts, its part of business but its really how your deal with the debt that matters and PS has - oh dear is that wrong as well

The local community / business have never been behind the club - hence why PS has to step in when he purchased the club.

There are plenty on businesses willing to trade with the club - mine and those i represent included

Not such thing as a stone wall court case - why go to the bank when you have a alternative but PS was proved to have taken the correct action.

Yes ignore the judge as it doesn't reflect your argument and after you know better than he does
I think you're far too sensitive and, as a consequence, are missing the point most people are making. Perhaps I could put it another way; while, as customers, we have every right to comment [good or bad] on how the club is run but would defend it to the hilt if there was criticism from an outside source, eg supporters from another club.

Yes business' do run up debts, but a GOOD business doesn't run up debts they can't service.

A lot of local business' used to do business with the club, but because of the way the club does its business, they no longer do.

Your second and third paragraphs contradict one another.

I'd guess they're are plenty more that won't do business than will, and a lot of those that do (like Colin at MEMS) do so because they're fans, not because its a well run business). The reason PS didn't go to the bank is because he can't, they won't lend/ touch him with a barge poll because of the restructuring, that's why he went to the fans.

So if it is such a well run business, why after 20 years of Scally searching for investment has no-one to offer significant investment, only small loans. No let me guess your answer, Scally hasn't found the right candidate for the club.

The biggest indication of how well a club is run is its customers, and clearly customers of GFC don't think its a business very well run as we haven't got a lot to piss in, just a fucking expensive water feature.

Last edited:
Yes business' do run up debts, but a GOOD business doesn't run up debts they can't service.

A lot of local business' used to do business with the club, but because of the way the club does its business, they no longer do.

I'd guess they're are plenty more that won't do business than will, and a lot of those that do (like Colin at MEMS) do so because they're fans, not because its a well run business). The reason PS didn't go to the bank is because he can't, they won't lend/ touch him with a barge poll because of the restructuring, that's why he went to the fans.

So if it is such a well run business, why after 20 years of Scally searching for investment has no-one to offer significant investment, only small loans. No let me guess your answer, Scally hasn't found the right candidate for the club.

The biggest indication of how well a club is run is its customers, and clearly customers of GFC don't think its a business very well run as we haven't got a lot to piss in, just a fucking expensive water feature.

No they dont - my business is multi branch national business so I dont class myself as local business. I can as easily trade from Scotland as I can from Kent.

If a business trades just because they are fans that really is a badly run business - no business is a charity

And in those 20 years numerous well run clubs and business`s have gone to the wall - the fact we haven't is testament to how well GFC is run.

As far as I am aware the relationship with the banks in not public knowledge but I would be surprised if we could not get a loan - that is how banks make their money.

When you have some facts to back up your wild assumptions then someone may listen - until then carry on pissing in the wind

Good to see you addressed my first point . Good business' don't run up £12m of debt they can't service.

"If a business trades just because they're are fans that really is badly run bussines"- no business is a charity" That might explain the MEMS decision.

Speak to some of the local breweries about GFC.

In the last 20 years far more clubs have found investors than have gone to the wall. The only reason we haven't gone to the wall is because of the bank, not because of how well GFC is run.

Scally has never been shy of going to the bank before.

You may think its pissing in the wind, (I'm happy you think no-one has any idea of what goes on inside the club other than you and PS.) I call it knowing people within the club, one of whom had very close financial dealings in club business whilst there. He left because it was such a well run business!

One day you'll be able to sit in our shiny new stadium with your mate PS, watching the pigs fly over.

No they dont - my business is multi branch national business so I dont class myself as local business. I can as easily trade from Scotland as I can from Kent.

If a business trades just because they are fans that really is a badly run business - no business is a charity

And in those 20 years numerous well run clubs and business`s have gone to the wall - the fact we haven't is testament to how well GFC is run.

As far as I am aware the relationship with the banks in not public knowledge but I would be surprised if we could not get a loan - that is how banks make their money.

When you have some facts to back up your wild assumptions then someone may listen - until then carry on pissing in the wind
Just one question - in the year to 31/5/15 the consolidated accounts showed a bank loan of £9.5m: how do you account for its disappearance other than by smoke and mirrors? For clarity, the loan appeared in the subsidiary company Priestfield Developments Ltd, which has since been dissolved.

Last edited:
Just one question - in the year to 31/5/15 the consolidated accounts showed a bank loan of £9.5m: how do you account for its disappearance other than by smoke and mirrors? For clarity, the loan appeared in the subsidiary company Priestfield Developments Ltd, which has since been dissolved.

As before it not the debt that is the problem its how its dealt with - and this was dealt with legally which is all that matters, the club are under no obligation to state how it was achieved

Speak to some of the local breweries about GFC.

It may well have been Centreplate trading with the breweries - GFC by association

I actually took a local brewery to court for non payment - and won.

PS - we have since resumed trading

He put us in a dreadful position with the overspend on the Medway Stand which is where most of the financial problems started. It was either the result of total arrogance in thinking he could run the job himself or plain incompetence. Was doing a bit of googling to try and find the true overspend cost (thought it was about £5m, sadly looks like I was wrong) and came across the following thread on fansonline from 2008..thought it was interesting reading..

https://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=15834

As before it not the debt that is the problem its how its dealt with - and this was dealt with legally which is all that matters, the club are under no obligation to state how it was achieved
The loan certainly wasn't discharged by cash settlement.

We'd know more perhaps but the latest accounts are overdue - Companies House note.