Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

I think that's the first time I've witnessed a team going down to ten, then thinking, "there's only one team going to win this". Great stuff indeed...

Yesterday's results have clarified things a bit with regard to our likely sem-final opponent, should we make the play-offs.

Although many permutations are still mathematically possible, it is unlikely that Lincoln or Coventry will finish 4th.

Therefore, our opponent in the play-off semi-final is likely to be the team finishing 4th, 5th or 6th:

* 4th if we finish 7th
* 5th or 6th if we finish 5th or 6th

In other words, we are likely to play Wycombe, Exeter or Notts County. The chances of meeting Coventry at the semi-final stage are small because that means Lincoln and Coventry would have to finish 5th and 6th. Not impossible, but very unlikely given that they play each other on Tuesday.

It is impossible for Lincoln to meet Mansfield in the semi-finals unless Lincoln finish 4th.

Yesterday was all about the 3 points. Thought we were the slightly better team, though a draw would probably have been fair.

We didn’t play particularly well and looked very lethargic. We weren’t picking up any second balls and some of our passing was poor. The worst aspect was probably our set pieces, far too many ooor deliveries. But we never stop and we always try for more and I love it!

The first thing that struck me about Colchester was how fast they were as a team and initially it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon at the bank. However, I then quickly realised how technically poor they were, particularly shooting on goal. They didn’t create much and after we went ahead I thought we’d actually be quite comfortable. Rheady was unfortunately caught being too casual on the ball, followed by some poor defending gave them a way back in the game.

We still need to desperately improve our attacking intent. We created very little and I think we can consider ourselves a bit lucky to get that penalty. Think the ref also got the red card wrong, but, can’t see it being overturned. When we went down to 10 men I think we were actually better and looked more threatening. When waterfall smashed that header in just scenes.

Palmer was class when he came on. Personally would keep him as an impact player as he looks best in that role (and also looks knackered pretty quickly). Woodyard and Eardley continue to turn out top class performances.

On to Tuesday.

Only our fourth penalty of the season yesterday and our first since we beat Accrington way back in December.
All scored by different players too.
Cods seem to get a pen every week at the mo!

Re: squabbling over who takes the penalty, do we not have a designated penalty taker any more? I know there was some discussion about it last season (or the season before? I forget) with Rhead missing a few. Seems unlike the Cowleys to not have a 1st choice penalty taker, then 2nd etc depending on who is on the pitch. Anyone got any insight?

Re: squabbling over who takes the penalty, do we not have a designated penalty taker any more? I know there was some discussion about it last season (or the season before? I forget) with Rhead missing a few. Seems unlike the Cowleys to not have a 1st choice penalty taker, then 2nd etc depending on who is on the pitch. Anyone got any insight?

Yes, Danny said after the game that Freck is our penalty taker. He decided not to take it because he has an injured back, which was quite revealing. Hasn't he had that for a while?

Only our fourth penalty of the season yesterday and our first since we beat Accrington way back in December.
All scored by different players too.
Cods seem to get a pen every week at the mo!

Fifth:

Aug 26 v Carlisle: Rhead
Sep 9 v Stevenage: Palmer
Dec 16 v Accrington: Green
Feb 3 v Swindon: Frecklington
Apr 21 v Colchester: Whitehouse

Yes, Danny said after the game that Freck is our penalty taker. He decided not to take it because he has an injured back, which was quite revealing. Hasn't he had that for a while?
I believe he has, yes. Seems a little odd though, you would think it would restrict his game a lot more than just being able to strike a dead ball! No arguments from me about Whitehouse taking it though, he's been so close to scoring on so many occasions in recent weeks that I almost feel he should tuck one away!

Fifth:

Aug 26 v Carlisle: Rhead
Sep 9 v Stevenage: Palmer
Dec 16 v Accrington: Green
Feb 3 v Swindon: Frecklington
Apr 21 v Colchester: Whitehouse
Blimey I forgot the Freck one!
The day were in the box.
Half right all different goalscorers.

I believe he has, yes. Seems a little odd though, you would think it would restrict his game a lot more than just being able to strike a dead ball! No arguments from me about Whitehouse taking it though, he's been so close to scoring on so many occasions in recent weeks that I almost feel he should tuck one away!

Yep, i found it a bit odd that Freck couldn't take a penalty but was ok to play the next 40 minutes.

Ollie wanted the pen, Mr Whitehouse would never have heard the last of it, had he missed ! :grinning:

Last edited:
Yep, i found it a bit odd that Freck couldn't take a penalty but was ok to play the next 40 minutes.
it sounded like an odd statement by dc to me. freck is banging corners in, and if you watch the highlights just after the penalty decision, freck absolutely smashed the loose ball towards [high over] the goal.

well done to macc. on the selfish side, not a team that are likely to pump in loads of extra cash next year and threaten the top places are they? like, say, tranmere would if they get through the play offs this time ))))

Accrington did well on a playing budget of 15,000 grand . who thought they would get promoted ???