Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

If you like a nice strong rum I would recommend Walter Hicks, this a navy rum at 71% proof. It comes from St Austell brewery, who supplied the Navy. Very nice but to br treated with respect, good price at approx £35.
Thanks Glentham, is it very, very smooth? Anything that lingers on the throat rather than the palate doesn't agree with me. It's not one I've heard of before so certainly has my interest.

Double diamond, worthington e, Newcastle exhibition, all sadly not available now.
By the same token, I have fond memories of a pint of Sam Smith's at Robeys' club on a Friday night.

My dad and his mates would play thirteen card brag, supping four rounds an hour...

Followed by chips with mint sauce from Ripon St chippy on the way home ..

Porters and stouts. As am currently locked down, am sampling the local brewery's extensive range(delivered to my door) and am also partial to Titanic Plum Porter, which just happens to be stocked by our local Bargain Booze.

I could name so many Ciders that I like. Another one is Cornish Orchards, which I've not had since I was in London in November three weekends in a row!
When I was at Uni, back in the late nineties, in my first year I was on the same floor of the hall of residence as the chairman of the real ale society.

For the annual beer festival, amongst other things, they would send a transit van down to Devon and Cornwall to pick up a supply of cider from as many farms and breweries as possible, including some real Perry.

Imagine the arduous task we heroically undertook to dispose of all the remnants. There was even one that had a taste of blue cheese about it...

Thanks Glentham, is it very, very smooth? Anything that lingers on the throat rather than the palate doesn't agree with me. It's not one I've heard of before so certainly has my interest.
It certainly took my breath away on the first sample, however it was very pleasant after the initial shock. It does not linger on the throat for long, but is very strong and has a very nice after taste. The price i quoted was for buying from the brewery, however the online price is £45 currently. Below is a quote on the rum direct from the website'
"The 125 Navy Rum, which at 125 proof (71.40% vol) is one of the strongest UK bottled rum available. Arriving directly from Guyana in 45-gallon barrels, it is left to mature for 7 years. "

When I was at Uni, back in the late nineties, in my first year I was on the same floor of the hall of residence as the chairman of the real ale society.

For the annual beer festival, amongst other things, they would send a transit van down to Devon and Cornwall to pick up a supply of cider from as many farms and breweries as possible, including some real Perry.

Imagine the arduous task we heroically undertook to dispose of all the remnants. There was even one that had a taste of blue cheese about it...

Was also involved in running my Uni's real ale festival. Most definitely the toughest of tasks!
Did the van driving bit too, collecting barrels from all sorts of little places.

And I like a nice perry too. Don't often see them.

My occupation entails buying wine for the world's oldest wine and spirits merchant, in particular french wine, so that tends to be my go-to. I've got a few hundred bottles in the cellar and more stored in a warehouse. I find I struggle to get on with much above 13.5%, although it's more about balance than numbers. Generally old world over new world, but I'm open-minded. Favourite varieties are Pinot Noir, Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Gamay (eg Beaujolais) and Chardonnay but also really enjoying wines from Galicia in northern spain, Sicily and Tenerife.

Quite enjoy beers for a change of scenery and when the weather is warm, mainly pale ales but like a refreshing lager too, and even Magners etc if very cold on a hot day.

Spirits-wise I enjoy cocktails, especially negronis, but never make them, also Speyside single malts occasionally. Oh, and im also partial to spiced rum with ginger ale.

So yeah, most things!

It's all a question of yeast and bacteria, and what one person considers a fault, but another considers characterful! I find a lot of the more "traditional" (often more "natural" and less "commercial" ciders taste like faulty wine to me, with a bitter bacterial issue that's a bit like lambic beers - sour and to me a bit unpleasant. Brettanomyces; like a horse or sweaty saddle, farmyard, sh1t! Some people love it, though.

It's all a question of yeast and bacteria, and what one person considers a fault, but another considers characterful! I find a lot of the more "traditional" (often more "natural" and less "commercial" ciders taste like faulty wine to me, with a bitter bacterial issue that's a bit like lambic beers - sour and to me a bit unpleasant. Brettanomyces; like a horse or sweaty saddle, farmyard, sh1t! Some people love it, though.

Lambic beers definitely need to be an acquired taste...

By the same token, I have fond memories of a pint of Sam Smith's at Robeys' club on a Friday night.

My dad and his mates would play thirteen card brag, supping four rounds an hour...

Followed by chips with mint sauce from Ripon St chippy on the way home ..

I was just talking about robey's social club today with my better half. Used to go there with my dad. Kids weren't allowed on the snooker tables but we used to play bar billiards instead. You don't see that around anymore!

I was just talking about robey's social club today with my better half. Used to go there with my dad. Kids weren't allowed on the snooker tables but we used to play bar billiards instead. You don't see that around anymore!

I‘d not seen a bar billiards table for years until I stumbled upon one (not literally) a few weeks ago in the Joiners Arms, just off West Parade (Victoria street)