Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

I was just talking about robey's social club today with my better half. Used to go there with my dad. Kids weren't allowed on the snooker tables but we used to play bar billiards instead. You don't see that around anymore!
Used to play on that table too. My dad would take us kids up on a Wednesday night (bingo) and a Sunday lunch time. And Friday nights when a bit older.

My dad and his mates would sit at one of the tables between the end of the bar and the bar billiards table.

The bandits got a fair bit of use too...

I‘d not seen a bar billiards table for years until I stumbled upon one (not literally) a few weeks ago in the Joiners Arms, just off West Parade (Victoria street)
On the subject of old-school pub games - Skittles is very popular in pubs here in Bristol. Almost every other pub seems to have a skittles team. It's very mysterious though, its never really obviously apparent where the skittles 'alley' is......I have a theory it's like Chicago speakeasys, and the barman has to press a button so a wall spins round , revealing the hidden skittles alley....

On the subject of old-school pub games - Skittles is very popular in pubs here in Bristol. Almost every other pub seems to have a skittles team. It's very mysterious though, its never really obviously apparent where the skittles 'alley' is......I have a theory it's like Chicago speakeasys, and the barman has to press a button so a wall spins round , revealing the hidden skittles alley....
One of the pubs I used to drink in when I lived in Bath, the Beehive (no longer there) had a skittle alley which was just off the main bar

True. Even though I'm not a big drinker I like going for a pint either before or after the game, or having a drink while listening to BBC Lincs coverage.
I think it soothes the nerves.
Perhaps I should try that. I am fine at a game, but listening on the radio is a different matter. On many occasions, I have to turn the (internet) radio off before the final whistle if City are either drawing or narrowly winning.

Perhaps I should try that. I am fine at a game, but listening on the radio is a different matter. On many occasions, I have to turn the (internet) radio off before the final whistle if City are either drawing or narrowly winning.

It's called "Doing a Skip155". :lol:

I have been through most drinks in my time. I used to stay on one drink until I was sick on it - then I would change to something else. Cider on New Year's Eve 1982 was a truly memorable one - I couldn't go to Gillingham the following day because I couldn't stand up. Bitter, Cider, Guinness, I have tried them all. Oddly enough, I have become almost allergic to some types of alcohol now - I can't have whisky or brandy without feeling sick; wine gives me a violent headache within minutes; and I can't take the volume of liquid with pints anymore. So a few years ago I moved on to cocktails followed by a rum or vodka and coke; that seems to work for me.

I have been through most drinks in my time. I used to stay on one drink until I was sick on it - then I would change to something else. Cider on New Year's Eve 1982 was a truly memorable one - I couldn't go to Gillingham the following day because I couldn't stand up. Bitter, Cider, Guinness, I have tried them all. Oddly enough, I have become almost allergic to some types of alcohol now - I can't have whisky or brandy without feeling sick; wine gives me a violent headache within minutes; and I can't take the volume of liquid with pints anymore. So a few years ago I moved on to cocktails followed by a rum or vodka and coke; that seems to work for me.

Yes why is it that multiple pints can be drunk when younger but not as the years go by?

I know exactly what you mean. Being at a game, whatever the score, you feel a part of it, as though shouting or singing will somehow encourage the team to improve or continue the performance.
Sitting at home I feel that although you can hear what's taking place, you are powerless to alter the course of events and it's far more nerve wracking.

I had many happy summer nights playing skittles at the back of the 5 Bells in Claypole. Pretty much a staple in the summer, pub, play cricket, pub and skittles.
Mind, it's a dangerous game if you're not careful or playing with idiots. A lad got hit on the head clearing off the "dead wood", big egg when another launched the second ball hitting him cleaner than anyone had hit the real targets!

When working in Eastwood, we used to frequent The Man In Space pub, which had its own skittles alley, bizarrely the room housed a Juke box too.

Dangerous in a strange way too. The husband of a lady I worked with had suffered an industrial accident at some point in the past and had constant pain in his back. They fitted him with a device that he wore on his belt, which trickled electric current into his back via wires. This worked a treat, so much so that he went on his first visit to the pub in years. He was enjoying his pint and perusing said Juke box. Suddenly, he starts throwing himself around like something possessed, somewhere between the lord of the dance and a Tasmanian Devil. A helpful soul had thought it was a Walkman on his belt and had turned it up for him. She even thought that he was actually dancing...

The pub is now shut, replaced by a Sainsbury's local store.

It never did have any atmosphere...

When working in Eastwood, we used to frequent The Man In Space pub, which had its own skittles alley, bizarrely the room housed a Juke box too.

Dangerous in a strange way too. The husband of a lady I worked with had suffered an industrial accident at some point in the past and had constant pain in his back. They fitted him with a device that he wore on his belt, which trickled electric current into his back via wires. This worked a treat, so much so that he went on his first visit to the pub in years. He was enjoying his pint and perusing said Juke box. Suddenly, he starts throwing himself around like something possessed, somewhere between the lord of the dance and a Tasmanian Devil. A helpful soul had thought it was a Walkman on his belt and had turned it up for him. She even thought that he was actually dancing...

The man in space. I have very vague memories of going there. Sincilbanks may be able to confirm.

There was a skittles alley in the club house/bar at the (old) Lawn ground of FGR. I don't know if it transferred to the New Lawn when the club moved to become the plastic entity it is today.

That's an unusual name for a pub, presumably a unique one? Shame it's no longer a pub, that happens all too often.

There's a pub with that name about a mile from us. Appears to have been built as part of a housing estate in the 60s/70s, and is still thriving, although more of a local budget restaurant chain rather than a true local

There's a pub with that name about a mile from us. Appears to have been built as part of a housing estate in the 60s/70s, and is still thriving, although more of a local budget restaurant chain rather than a true local
Think that is the case with most pubs these days. Not very often you see a dart board before a menu nowadays!
I used to love going down the local with my mates for a skin-full and a game of whatever pub game we fancied. It used to be, if you wanted food you went to a restaurant! The bulk of pubs tend to bore me now, sad but true.