Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

For beers, I'm quite partial to Fraoch, Black Sheep or anything from the Black Isle brewery.

Wines tend to be a good red, nice Rioja at a suitably warm temperature.

Spirits - take a guess. Love Ardbeg (had a bottle of the '74 that everyone raves about - got me hooked). Love Tomatin - have an unopened bottle of the old 10 year old. Partial to many others - have some Bunnahabhain, Laphroaig, Glencadam, Glen Grant, Dalwhinnie, Bowmore, Jura, Strathisla, Glenmorangie and Tullibardine on the go at the moment. Use my grandad's old port glass - holds about 1 & 1/2 measures.

Must also mention Ballantines - a great example of just how good a blended whisky can be. Once had to convince Matthew Wright that it was a blend - the Wright Stuff indeed.

Also have some whisky stored away, the remnants of a collecting collection. Including some 12 year old Dallas Dhu (bought from Lincoln whisky shop for £24.95 a throw!), some Rosebank (fantastic news that it's reopening), an old Glendronach 15, an old Glenglassaugh and a bottle of Dunedin (bought in Wick!). Oh, and a cask strength limited bottling of Tomatin too. Sold several bottles when we bought this house - helped with the deposit and stamp duty. Sold an Ardbeg limited bottling to a Swede for a grand....

I also used to love Columba Cream - many notches above Bailey's. The makers used to give a complimentary dram at their cafe in their visitor centre near Bankfoot.

Oh, and what's a dram? Best description I've heard is "a measure pleasing to both the guest and the host"!

Sounds quite worrying really. However, aside from festies, consumption tends to be a bottle of wine at the weekend and a glass or two of whisky on maybe three nights a week. With consumption of Ardbeg somewhat influenced by match scores....

Slainte Mhath!

just enjoyed a peroni with my chicken fajita. Didn’t fancy the Mexican one :unsure:
Hope that was one of our home bred free range chickens you were scoffing?
..........did you choke it last night and draw it in preparation for tonight`s feast.............nothing worse than chicken too fresh.
What`s all this fancy fajita stuff................waste of time that upmarket yuppie breads when you can get a decent cob,pack it with chicken, sage and onion stuffing and fill your boots for half that price.
recession around the corner..........we will all be eating deep fried chickens feet for Sunday lunch soon and count ourselves lucky to be getting them!
peroni.?.................what`s wrong with a pint of mild?
good enough for Albert Tatlock?

Last edited:
For beers, I'm quite partial to Fraoch, Black Sheep or anything from the Black Isle brewery.

Spirits - take a guess. Love Ardbeg (had a bottle of the '74 that everyone raves about - got me hooked). Love Tomatin - have an unopened bottle of the old 10 year old. Partial to many others - have some Bunnahabhain, Laphroaig, Glencadam, Glen Grant, Dalwhinnie, Bowmore, Jura, Strathisla, Glenmorangie and Tullibardine on the go at the moment. Use my grandad's old port glass - holds about 1 & 1/2 measures.

Must also mention Ballantines - a great example of just how good a blended whisky can be. Once had to convince Matthew Wright that it was a blend - the Wright Stuff indeed.

Also have some whisky stored away, the remnants of a collecting collection. Including some 12 year old Dallas Dhu (bought from Lincoln whisky shop for £24.95 a throw!), some Rosebank (fantastic news that it's reopening), an old Glendronach 15, an old Glenglassaugh and a bottle of Dunedin (bought in Wick!). Oh, and a cask strength limited bottling of Tomatin too. Sold several bottles when we bought this house - helped with the deposit and stamp duty. Sold an Ardbeg limited bottling to a Swede for a grand....

I also used to love Columba Cream - many notches above Bailey's. The makers used to give a complimentary dram at their cafe in their visitor centre near Bankfoot.

Oh, and what's a dram? Best description I've heard is "a measure pleasing to both the guest and the host"!

Sounds quite worrying really. However, aside from festies, consumption tends to be a bottle of wine at the weekend and a glass or two of whisky on maybe three nights a week. With consumption of Ardbeg somewhat influenced by match scores....

Slainte Mhath!
Barney,i piss enough of my income on wine to be worried and i thank my lucky stars i never really got into whisky(malts) as it would have cost me a small fortune..........it`s not a cheap hobby!
Enjoy your hobby and keep safe.

Barney,i piss enough of my income on wine to be worried and i thank my lucky stars i never really got into whisky(malts) as it would have cost me a small fortune..........it`s not a cheap hobby!
Enjoy your hobby and keep safe.
Only have about twenty bottles for collecting - most bought at fortuitous times. That Ardbeg that went for a grand, cost me a tenth of that... If only I could do that regularly!

I have a few miniatures too, again all bought for relatively little.

Slainte Mhath!

There are some very good blends.
Once bought House of Lords...as supplied exclusively to that institution by the Edradour distillery. You can though also buy a bottle at the distillery itself.

And on beers, just done an online order for 30 different bottles of Scottish ales from a whole bunch of breweries.
Should get us through the next couple of weeks of lockdown.

Hope that was one of our home bred free range chickens you were scoffing?
..........did you choke it last night and draw it in preparation for tonight`s feast.............nothing worse than chicken too fresh.
What`s all this fancy fajita stuff................waste of time that upmarket yuppie breads when you can get a decent cob,pack it with chicken, sage and onion stuffing and fill your boots for half that price.
recession around the corner..........we will all be eating deep fried chickens feet for Sunday lunch soon and count ourselves lucky to be getting them!
peroni.?.................what`s wrong with a pint of mild?
Reminds me of one of my dad's stories...

When he was a shop steward at Robeys, they had one of the away day outings. On the return leg, the coach pulled in at The Old Bell in Barnaby Moor. They sent him to the bar with the order. 27 pints of bitter and 15 of mild please, he asks of the barkeep.

"I'm sorry sir," says the barkeep "we only serve halves here..."

Quick as a flash, dad says "I'll have 54 halves of bitter and 30 of mild, please"...

There are some very good blends.
Once bought House of Lords...as supplied exclusively to that institution by the Edradour distillery. You can though also buy a bottle at the distillery itself.

And on beers, just done an online order for 30 different bottles of Scottish ales from a whole bunch of breweries.
Should get us through the next couple of weeks of lockdown.
Used to frequent Robertson's in Pitlochry every time I had chance. And Gordon and MacPhail's fine establishment in Elgin too.

Very, very dangerous places....

The only cider sold out in my local supermarket. I asked the assistant to check in the back and it had all gone. Quality gear. It's on tap in the Duke William Hotel on Bailgate.

It's really nice. I've just opened a bottle. Bought 3 bottles for £5.00 from Tesco Express last week. It's available on the Aspall website, but it is £21.12 for 8 bottles.

It's really nice. I've just opened a bottle. Bought 3 bottles for £5.00 from Tesco Express last week. It's available on the Aspall website, but it is £21.12 for 8 bottles.
Glad you like it. It's just a bit stronger than most other ciders in the supermarket.

I like the sound of that. Where is Bankfoot btw ?
Just north of Perth on the A9.

Unfortunately, it appears to have closed down. There is still a visitor centre next door to the site of the factory (it used to be the MacBeth Centre) but, in my opinion it is aimed at coaches of tourists. They (the Scottish Liqueur centre) used malt whisky to up the quality and they did a range of limited bottlings of single malts too at cask strength.

I think that the closest that is available now are the cream liqueurs from the Edradour or Arran distilleries. Or there is the Magnum cream liqueur from the Benriach distillery. I suspect that they would all be available from the distilleries - or some of the online stores too, including Amazon.

Enjoy!

Just north of Perth on the A9.

Unfortunately, it appears to have closed down. There is still a visitor centre next door to the site of the factory (it used to be the MacBeth Centre) but, in my opinion it is aimed at coaches of tourists. They (the Scottish Liqueur centre) used malt whisky to up the quality and they did a range of limited bottlings of single malts too at cask strength.

I think that the closest that is available now are the cream liqueurs from the Edradour or Arran distilleries. Or there is the Magnum cream liqueur from the Benriach distillery. I suspect that they would all be available from the distilleries - or some of the online stores too, including Amazon.

Enjoy!
https://www.masterofmalt.com/liqueurs/columba-cream-liqueur/
Is that the one Barney? It's sold out so must be good.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/liqueurs/columba-cream-liqueur/
Is that the one Barney? It's sold out so must be good.
That's the one - first tasted it at Lincoln Christmas market, a stall in the Lawns, they sold Te Bheagh whisky too.

I think it's discontinued now. I get the impression that Scottish Liqueurs sold to Morrison and MacKay, who still make the Bruadar liqueur (like a Drambuie) and they have retained the Carn Mor range of whiskies which I think was the brand name for the numbered bottlings they did. A shame it's gone, it was really good. The Arran, Edradour and Magnum ones sound worthy of a try though...

I'm lucky enough to have a 14 y.o. 61% Tomatin (one of 307) and a 12 y.o 59% Ledaig (one of 290) from them. Again, reasonable prices when purchased, may get opened for a suitable occasion... 60th in a couple of years, retirement as soon as the Mrs and bank manager agree... I used to have a nose for finding the places that sold good whisky at great prices.

That's the one - first tasted it at Lincoln Christmas market, a stall in the Lawns, they sold Te Bheagh whisky too.

I think it's discontinued now. I get the impression that Scottish Liqueurs sold to Morrison and MacKay, who still make the Bruadar liqueur (like a Drambuie) and they have retained the Carn Mor range of whiskies which I think was the brand name for the numbered bottlings they did. A shame it's gone, it was really good. The Arran, Edradour and Magnum ones sound worthy of a try though...

I'm lucky enough to have a 14 y.o. 61% Tomatin (one of 307) and a 12 y.o 59% Ledaig (one of 290) from them. Again, reasonable prices when purchased, may get opened for a suitable occasion... 60th in a couple of years, retirement as soon as the Mrs and bank manager agree... I used to have a nose for finding the places that sold good whisky at great prices.

Not been to it myself yet, but been told there's a good whisky shop in Inverary.