Yorkshire summer cricket thread | Vital Football

Yorkshire summer cricket thread

tomytony

Vital Champions League
Somewhat belated but tonight's T20 v Lanky was a nail biter.
Yorks won after overseas pro Lockie Ferguson took a hat trick with the last 3 balls of the game with Lanky needing 9 to win at that stage.

Marvellous, nerve wracking entertainment

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it TT. Some great stuff from our guys and also some utter comedy but it did make for an entertaining game.

When it was 26 from 7 it looked easy, but these things never are. Good comeback from Ferguson, after bowling the worst wide I've ever seen from the first ball of the last over, which ended up as 3 extras. Apparently that was the first ever T20 hat-trick from a Yorkshire player :clap:

When it was 26 from 7 it looked easy, but these things never are. Good comeback from Ferguson, after bowling the worst wide I've ever seen from the first ball of the last over, which ended up as 3 extras. Apparently that was the first ever T20 hat-trick from a Yorkshire player :clap:
A rule I wasn't aware of tonight SRE. That wide became a 2 run penalty no ball as well because, if the ball is so wide it does not pitch on the cut strip, it becomes a no ball.
Added to the excitement but, at the time, I was cursing him.The umpires seemed a little bemused and confused too- and the referral for the catch, which was given a soft signal of out was worrying if that's the standard.
Great entertainment,and from a format I'm not too keen on, but beating Lanky has it's own charm whatever the format:p.

Need to do it in the CC game to get to the 2nd round-after dealing with Northants, who lie 3rd, that is.

Anyone here looking forward to the Hundred? Sky are pushing it hard at the minute, but I didn't see the point when it was first announced, even less so when they did the Yankee-doodle draft and an extra year of waiting hasn't made me care at all. It must be for someone though, I guess :shrug:

Anyone here looking forward to the Hundred? Sky are pushing it hard at the minute, but I didn't see the point when it was first announced, even less so when they did the Yankee-doodle draft and an extra year of waiting hasn't made me care at all. It must be for someone though, I guess :shrug:
:shake:

Short form cricket is manufactured to entice the supporter who can't or doesn't have time to watch the long form. Back in the days of the John Player league on Sundays at 40 overs, I used to love watching a game. Less so about T20 and other pyjama cricket because it changes the game into a slogfest, but I can't deny its been popular in our busy lives.

Why do we need 100 ball when we have 120 ball? I think the answer is only in the minds of some marketing genius somewhere.

An absolute abominarion and unnecessary creation by the ECB in order to get on the IPL T20 bandwagon which has been copied already in every cricket playing nation in the world.
The 2 major effects are
1) after 5 yrs of focusing on 50 over ODI cricket in order to win the WCup the format has now been abandoned as the domestic 50 over competion , Royal London Cup, becomes a virtual 2nd team game as The 100 will be played at the same time and counties will have many players playing for Northern Superchargers,Trafford Red Sox or Midlands Mercanaries and the so well protected , centrally contracted England squad, who, as Yorks know to their cost are rarely available even if they are not playing for weeks on end, will be turning out for eg Joe Root, Nottingham Numpties, Jonny B, Wales Wankers
2) A total disreagard for the prime competition, the one that produces players for the longer format of the game, the County Championship, has been reduced to fewer games and at the margins of the season- played primarily in April,May, September to accomodate the short forms of the game incuding The Abominatiion.Then the ECB complains when the Test team is not so successful despite severing the very artery that is the lifeblood of Test cricket.

Will ANYONE have any allegiance to any of the teams? Will they f***.

I sincerely hope it crashes and burns and the ashes it leaves won't be worth a light.

Lyth's enthusiasm and his catching was brilliant to watch and young Brook looks a bit decent as does Jordan Thompson although since he's been moved up the order he's not done quite as well
With 7 out, 2 injured, 5 on England duty ( can you imagine football allowing that?) theboys are really stepping up. With such inexperience comes inconsistency but every game helps their development.

Lyth is a real enthusiast and always wears his heart on his sleeve.Virtually every ball is a chance and he's a great appealer. I reckon that will be the 1st time he has captained against Lanky so even more fired up.

That catch went semi unnoticed in the mayhem but he's one of the very best in the deep and at slip.Remember he got an English record 161 off 73 , the 3rd highest in the world.

A proper Yorkshireman.

Once any sport allows the sponsors to call the shots it signs its death warrant. Football has already gone as the game anyone on here grew up with and it hasn't changed for the better on a single element.
Cricket has held out pretty well but inevitably will change to appeal to the brain dead f u ckwits with ADD.
Hopefully rugby and tennis will stay as they are. Women should have to play best of 5 or revert to being paid less.
Got absolutely no interest in track and field, more drugs on show than Burngreave on a good night.
Same applies to cycling although quite like The Tour warts and all.

Once any sport allows the sponsors to call the shots it signs its death warrant. Football has already gone as the game anyone on here grew up with and it hasn't changed for the better on a single element.
Cricket has held out pretty well but inevitably will change to appeal to the brain dead f u ckwits with ADD.
Hopefully rugby and tennis will stay as they are. Women should have to play best of 5 or revert to being paid less.
Got absolutely no interest in track and field, more drugs on show than Burngreave on a good night.
Same applies to cycling although quite like The Tour warts and all.
Pogacar must be on something the way he's going up those hills!

Northants 146-7 in their first innings are 12 behind Yorks first inns total.Looks like it could be a tight game.Come on you White Rose boys.UTB

159-6 Yorkshire at the close of play day 2 in the 2nd inns,if we can get a 200 run lead we're in with a very good chance of winning this match i think.UTB

Yay Yorks win by 53runs after bowling Northants out for 152.So i was right in my previous post,perhaps this is owd chuff isn't as daft as some on here may think.:yes:UTB