Ya Basta! Ya Basta! | Vital Football

Ya Basta! Ya Basta!

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Just a few selected, loads more before and since, including obviously George Floyd and David McAtee.

Amadou Diallo (22); 19 bullets from NY police, Feb 1999.

Margaret Laverne Mitchell (54); homeless woman shot dead in LA, May 1999.

LaTanya Haggerty (26); unarmed, no criminal record, shot dead by Officer Serena Daniels, Chicago, June 1999.

Kendra James (21); unarmed, shot in head, Portland, May 2003.

Jame Brissette (17) and Ronald Maddison (54); shot dead (four others wounded), New Orleans, Sept 2005.

Sean Bell (23); shot dead day before his wedding, New York, Nov 2006.

Manuel Loggins Jnr (31); Marine sergeant, shot dead in front of two of his daughters because he ignored orders to show hands and had a "mean expression", Orange County, Feb 2012.

Ramarley Graham (18); Bronx police enter teenagers apartment without a warrant and shoot him dead. Bag of marijuana found but no weapons, New York, Feb 2012.

Sherees Francis (29); mentally ill woman off her medication, unarmed, died of suffocation. New York, March 2012.

Rekia Boyd (22); Shot dead by off duty police detective. Unarmed. Chicago, March 2012.

Jamar Clark (24); Shot in the head, Minneapolis, Nov 2013.

Yvette Smith (47); Mother of two shot dead on her front porch. Police initially claimed that she was armed before retracting statement. Texas, Feb 2014.

Tamir Rice (12); Officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback responded to a call about a black male sitting on a swing and pointing a gun at people in a city park. The caller expressed doubts about the gun’s authenticity and said the male was probably a juvenile, but that information wasn’t relayed to the responding officers. Within two seconds of arriving at the scene, Loehmann fired two shots, one hitting Rice in the torso. Rice’s weapon later was found to be a black toy gun. Cleveland, Nov 2014.

Laquan McDonald (17); Shot 16 times by Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke, Oct 2014.

Akai Gurley (28); Peter Liang, a rookie New York City police officer, was convicted Feb. 11 of manslaughter in the death of Gurley. Liang was patrolling a public housing high-rise with his gun drawn in 2014 when he fired and a bullet ricocheted off a wall, hitting Gurley. Liang said he had been holding his weapon safely when a sound jarred him and he accidentally fired. In April, a judge reduced the conviction to negligent homicide and sentenced Liang to five years’ probation and 800 hours of community service. New York, Nov 2014.

Eric Garner (43); died after a police officer placed him in an illegal chokehold during an encounter on the pavement. Garner was accused of selling illegal cigarettes. July 2014.

Ezell Ford (25); mentally ill and complying with officers before they shot him dead. LA, Aug 2014.

Michael Brown Jnr (18); shot dead by white police officer because he was stole cigarillos from a convenience store. Aug 2014.

Christian Taylor (19); shot and killed during a suspected burglary by Arlington police officer Brad Miller. Police Chief Will Johnson said Miller pursued Taylor without telling his supervising officer. Aug 2015.

Walter Scott (50); unarmed, shot at 8 times before he was killed. North Charleston, S.C., April 2015.

Natasha McKenna (37); died after being shocked four times with a stun gun while her hands were cuffed and her legs shackled. McKenna, who suffered from mental illness, was in custody in the Fairfax County, Va., jail on Feb. 3, 2015, when a deputy used the stun gun on her. She died Feb. 8.

Freddie Gray (25); died when his neck was broken in the back of a police van. He had been restrained with handcuffs and leg irons, but not a seat belt. Baltimore, April 2015.

Brendon Glenn (29); unarmed, shot in the back LA Police Chief Charlie Beck. Glenn was on his stomach trying to push himself up when he was shot dead. May 2015.

Samuel DuBose (25); unarmed but driving a car without plates and refused to produce driver's licence. Shot dead. Cincinnati, July 2015.

Gregory Gunn (58); unarmed, shot dead yards from his home. Montgomery, Alabama, Feb 2016.

Akiel Denkins (24); shot dead. White officer DC Twiddy acquitted because he was acting in 'self-defense'. Raleigh, Feb 2016.

Last edited:
I was going to put this on the "Police lives matter" thread but realised there isn't one. Hope its OK for me to put it here?
I'm sure most, if not all, weren't racist so should be ok

In the last 96 hours...
-A Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officer was shot in the back of the head while struggling with a rioter
-An active shooter opened fire on law enforcement at a Las Vegas courthouse
-4 St. Louis Police Officers were shot by an active shooter
-A New York Police Officer was struck by a vehicle
-3 Buffalo law enforcement officers were struck by a vehicle in front of the police station
-3 Davenport law enforcement officers were ambushed and 1 was shot
-132 officers were injured in Chicago during a riot
-9 Pittsburg officers were injured by objects during a riot
-Several officers in Rhode Island were injured during riots
-An active shooter opened fire at the Oakland Police Department
-2 officers were struck in the head with projectiles in Santa Ana
-2 Richland officers were shot in Virginia
-1 officer was struck in the head by a brick in Albany
-4 Prince William County Police Officers sustained head injuries from projectiles
-7 officers were injured in Sacramento -Several officers were shot at and injured in Lynchburg
-Several Champaign Police Officers were injured
-3 Oak Law Police Officers were injured -21 officers were injured in Salt Lake City
-At least 50 Secret Service Agents were injured by Molotov cocktails in Washington
-3 Denver Police Officers were ran over by a vehicle
-33 New York Police Officers were injured during riots
-6 Athens Police Officers injured during a protest
-2 Capitol Police Officers were injured during a riot in Harrisburg
-12 Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officers were injured during riots
-21 Minneapolis law enforcement officers injured in riots
-1 Federal Protective Services Officer was shot and killed.

Just a few selected, loads more before and since, including obviously George Floyd and David McAtee.

Point made but there is apparently footage that McAtee fired the first shot, so probably a bad example.

Are there statistics for the number of white people killed in similar circumstances? At least then it would be clear whether there is perceived police racism or just perceived general police brutality.

I was going to put this on the "Police lives matter" thread but realised there isn't one. Hope its OK for me to put it here?

In the last 96 hours...
-A Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officer was shot in the back of the head while struggling with a rioter
-3 Buffalo law enforcement officers were struck by a vehicle in front of the police station
-4 Prince William County Police Officers sustained head injuries from projectiles
-7 officers were injured in Sacramento -Several officers were shot at and injured in Lynchburg
-3 Oak Law Police Officers were injured -21 officers were injured in Salt Lake City
-At least 50 Secret Service Agents were injured by Molotov cocktails in Washington
So?

Point made but there is apparently footage that McAtee fired the first shot, so probably a bad example.

Are there statistics for the number of white people killed in similar circumstances? At least then it would be clear whether there is perceived police racism or just perceived general police brutality.

I've just watched the footage. It's inconclusive. But yes, you're right that he may turn out to be a bad example. I'd read this:
https://wfpl.org/david-mcatee-killed-by-law-enforcement-was-the-bbq-man/

In answer to your other question, not sure how helpful it is but I did read this:
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...killings-black-americans-200531105741757.html

I've just watched the footage. It's inconclusive. But yes, you're right that he may turn out to be a bad example. I'd read this:
https://wfpl.org/david-mcatee-killed-by-law-enforcement-was-the-bbq-man/

In answer to your other question, not sure how helpful it is but I did read this:
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...killings-black-americans-200531105741757.html
Very interesting. Just for clarity how many of those were unlawful killings?
Three terrorists were shot dead by police at Borough Market, they were all from minority ethnic groups so would have been in those totals had they been in the states.

In the last 96 hours...

I think this illustrates what most people know already , ie , the MSM either being biased , under-reporting , or ignoring anything that does fit the narrative.

Let me give an example of under reporting news in the UK.
Emily Jones , aged 7 was stabbed to death in Bolton , by a complete stranger.
Woman , 30 , detained under mental health act.
It wasn't a stabbing , the little girl was decapitated by an Albanian/Bosnian .
What ideology would promote beheading as a way of execution ? I think we all know the answer.
My point is , why are these fact being hidden from us ?
Why are the press and tv news not making a big deal about the police casualties?
It seems they are trying to stir up disorder with their cops bad/oppressed people good type reporting.

Very interesting. Just for clarity how many of those were unlawful killings?
Three terrorists were shot dead by police at Borough Market, they were all from minority ethnic groups so would have been in those totals had they been in the states.

Nobs, that's just a legal definition as far as I'm concerned. Unless another innocent person (obviously including police officers) is in immediate danger, unless shooting someone dead is going to stop other people from dying that very moment, it's never acceptable to shoot someone dead. Irrespective of whether it was fucking, 'lawful'.

Let's not bring this onto UK police. The situation here is a bit different. Yes there are cases such as Sean Rigg, Sheku Bayoh, Mzee Mohammed, Leon Patterson, Smiley Culture, Cynthia Jarrett, Joy Gardner, Mustafa Dawood, Claire Parry, Jean Charles da Silva e de Menezes, Olaseni Lewis, Kingsley Burrell, Anthony Grainger, Iain Tomlinson, William Strathearn and Blair Peach. But as I said, let's not even go there. Let's keep this focused on the States.

He's 33 black, lives in Salt Lake City, and is scared to go out because of the police.

I would dare him to spend ONE night in the New Orleans ,Baltimore or Compton projects

Is that your way of dismissing his experiences, observations and subsequent feelings on the matter?

I was putting it in context. He lives in probably the safest city in the US.

Well then that would make his comments that much more powerful, shirley?!

If he's feeling the danger in one of the safest places, just imagine how much worse it must be in places where there is more tension between the black community and the police...

Well then that would make his comments that much more powerful, shirley?!

If he's feeling the danger in one of the safest places, just imagine how much worse it must be in places where there is more tension between the black community and the police...
Or just in places where there IS a black community for that matter

Nobs, that's just a legal definition as far as I'm concerned. Unless another innocent person (obviously including police officers) is in immediate danger, unless shooting someone dead is going to stop other people from dying that very moment, it's never acceptable to shoot someone dead. Irrespective of whether it was fucking, 'lawful'.

Let's not bring this onto UK police. The situation here is a bit different. Yes there are cases such as Sean Rigg, Sheku Bayoh, Mzee Mohammed, Leon Patterson, Smiley Culture, Cynthia Jarrett, Joy Gardner, Mustafa Dawood, Claire Parry, Jean Charles da Silva e de Menezes, Olaseni Lewis, Kingsley Burrell, Anthony Grainger, Iain Tomlinson, William Strathearn and Blair Peach. But as I said, let's not even go there. Let's keep this focused on the States.

"Nobs, that's just a legal definition as far as I'm concerned"

May be to you but legal definition all the same, you have to have a legal defence for killing for circumstances such as those you mention.
Whether you agree with it or not, a huge percentage of the killings in your link will be lawful.
The only reason I mentioned the Borough Market shooting was to illustrate how important it is to have a "lawful killing" verdict and to highlight that a shooting like that would be on your list of police killings.
I'm not rowing with you Bud, just think the link is a little inflammatory and could do with being a bit more detailed, ie, how many are lawful/unlawful. I don't see that as unreasonable.