Xmas lockdown or not? n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

Xmas lockdown or not? n/g

Thank you for all of your replies.

Nice to be in the majority for once.

Has anybody read anything about digital optimisers for household electrics?:off:
I don't think you are in the majority, well you may be on here amongst what seems to be a small group of bah humbugs who seemingly hate Xmas anyway, regardless of coronavirus.

However in reality, off here, a lot of people I know are absolutely sick of lockdown, and restrictions, and are keen to have Xmas with their extended families. I would imagine that most are prepared to accept an increase in rates as a result of this.

From what I've seen of opinion polls (for what they are worth) I'm pleasantly surprised to see that a large majority do not want a massive beano at Xmas only to go into severe lockdown afterwards. An outbreak of the much sought after "common sense".
:-)

I don't think you can deduce that people don't want a massive beano from these opinion polls. All it means IMO is that they don't want a severe lockdown 'to pay for it'. Maybe it's a case of wanting cake and eating it, but there needs to be other methods of 'paying for it' than a significant lockdown after Xmas.

I also agree with the comments above, i suspect many will meet up regardless of what the guidelines are. The police will not be breaking up people's Xmas lunches with their parents. As long as there's not 30 people round someone's house, police will let things go IMO. I think many people know this, and lots will will break lockdown rules 'by a bit'. If the rules are 2 families, people will stretch it to 3 maybe. That kind of thing. Many people have already been breaking lockdown rules to small extents that they individually feel is fairly sensible and keeps them sane.

Last edited:
The problem is AK the government have proved they can't be trusted to manage anything over covid and have no real strategy, unless you class make it up as you go along a strategy.

For what it's worth, IMO schools seem to be the places the virus is spreading the most at the moment. I live next door to a teacher at a secondary school in medway and she said that social distancing is all but impossible. Agree with ,Trevor. think the best thing to do would be to shut the schools in early December and have that source of spreading the virus slowed before Xmas.

I'd quite happily have full lockdown over Xmas, a mother in law free Xmas. Fucking bliss.

The problem is AK the government have proved they can't be trusted to manage anything over covid and have no real strategy, unless you class make it up as you go along a strategy.

For what it's worth, IMO schools seem to be the places the virus is spreading the most at the moment. I live next door to a teacher at a secondary school in medway and she said that social distancing is all but impossible. Agree with ,Trevor. think the best thing to do would be to shut the schools in early December and have that source of spreading the virus slowed before Xmas.

I'd quite happily have full lockdown over Xmas, a mother in law free Xmas. Fucking bliss.
Yes i suspect some people are secretly happy with a lockdown over Xmas due to personal reasons. I admit, the silver lining of more strict rules will mean i don't have to make the decision of whether or not to go to my dads for the inevitable argument with my sister this year.

I think they should close schools for 2 weeks after Xmas personally. I.e to stop kids spreading what they apparently will catch over the Xmas holidays with even more people. It could be the best Xmas present they get! another 2 weeks off. They could do home schooling for 2 weeks, or just make up the time in other holidays, if the unions agree.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Realistically we have never had to deal with a pandemic of this level in this modern age, so there's going to be some learning as we go, and making it up as we go along or shall we call it "reacting to unexpected occurrences" to be kinder.

I would actually say I think the govt has had a strategy (which has changed as they find out more about the virus etc. - I am fine with this).... but they have just implemented their strategy very very poorly. This is the key issue for me in regards to the govt.

PPE, Track and Trace - being two prime examples. I work in IT systems development, how it's taken this long to sort out the Track and Trace system is beyond me entirely.

I agree we should’ve opened the schools, pubs, stadiums etc between lockdowns. But this Govt should also have realised that any national lockdown would need to include schools. We should’ve kept things going relatively ok, with a convenient nationwide circuit breaker over half term - every school has the same period off, be it maybe 3 weeks, and a national lockdown to coincide with it.

Then we carry on until 3 weeks or so before Christmas. Kids finish school, and if rates are worryingly high (which I would think would’ve been unlikely) then we could’ve had another circuit breaker. Over Christmas the rules are relaxed and those who want to visit relatives or go to the pub can, to the rule of 6. Afterwards we can decide what to do then.

Is it me or have bubbles gone to shit? At the start of the pandemic you had a clear understanding of bubbles - you and your household would be a bubble as it would be highly likely you would transmit COVID to everyone else in it due to touchpoints, physical contact or air.

Now with schools they’re bubbling entire classes, and even entire years. The kids simply can’t reasonably socially distance in a school environment - not to blame the kids, you put all of us in the same environment and we wouldn’t be able to maintain it too. Tight corridors, frequent close-contact interactions, herding all the bubbles together on the school buses etc. Then the kids go back to their household bubble. It’s just stupid.

Easter is the more important Christian holiday.Christmas is when we remember the birth of Jesus.The gift of Christmas is our saviour.
All the other stuff is just traditional .I can't see why anyone would want to put another human let alone a elderly relative at risk just at the point that we can see the finishing line .Especially people with no faith in christ. It is just tradition that requires doing.I can't see why if that is the case that those people who use Christmas as a traditional piss up and get together can't wait a few weeks till we can all enjoy the end to Coronavirus for good.

I'd be happy to remain in a sort of mini lockdown for Christmas as I'm looking at the long game. However, I do see the need to lift some restrictions in a controlled way. Many will stick two fingers up and meet anyway so better to at least try to control it. I saw on tv yesterday that only 11% of people who are meant to isolate, do so. That, for me, is a massive indication of what the great British public think of covid19 rules. Its one thing saying you disagree with the rule of six, or gyms closing etc but to disregard the one thing that can most stop the spread of the virus takes selfishness to a whole new level.
As many of us have said before, the vaccine is the only way out of this mess.

I'd be happy to remain in a sort of mini lockdown for Christmas as I'm looking at the long game. However, I do see the need to lift some restrictions in a controlled way. Many will stick two fingers up and meet anyway so better to at least try to control it. I saw on tv yesterday that only 11% of people who are meant to isolate, do so. That, for me, is a massive indication of what the great British public think of covid19 rules. Its one thing saying you disagree with the rule of six, or gyms closing etc but to disregard the one thing that can most stop the spread of the virus takes selfishness to a whole new level.
As many of us have said before, the vaccine is the only way out of this mess.
These people would never think of committing manslaughter. But in affect that is what they are doing it is so selfish. It's the me me me .I am bored of the philosophy. Don't you that those involved in the last world war never got bored of it?
Of course they did .But they found the spirit to carry on .We need to find that .The guys in the labs and the brilliant people who have donated themselves a Guinea pigs to stop this virus have done their bit it is now our turn.It was said by Churchill in the war "never have so many depended on so few" .
It is time for the many to protect the few from one last attack .I for one am proud to serve the elderly of this country as they once served us.

I`ll not be gathering socially at Christmas. Up here in Lancashire we`ve had, in effect, a lock-down for months and whilst I accept and empathise that commerce has been negatively hit, the world hasn`t come to an end. The infection tide is turning up here so, for now, I`ll join those who feel that with a vaccine so close, why would we unnecessarily risk catching the disease over Christmas and in the next few weeks. With light finally at the end of the tunnel, I doubt that i`ll be visiting any pubs, restaurants or friends until such time as the jab has been jobbed.

I get it that many younger people feel the balance of priorities differently, maybe if I had little chance of being directly harmed by Covid i`d feel the same.

It could be that we`ll see a relaxation of restrictions before you guys down there in the South. And if football with crowds re-starts up here next month, would I go ? Hmmm , can`t deny i`d be tempted.

These people would never think of committing manslaughter. But in affect that is what they are doing it is so selfish.
On this basis, anyone that goes to leaves the house, be it to go to the shops, go to the pub with one other household as allowed, or sends even their kids to school is doing the same crime of manslaughter then?

On this basis, anyone that goes to leaves the house, be it to go to the shops, go to the pub with one other household as allowed, or sends even their kids to school is doing the same crime of manslaughter then?
If the trip was unnecessary yes it is a form of killing someone if you carry the virus and given there are people who show no symptoms we should all do what we can.

All the other stuff is just traditional .I can't see why anyone would want to put another human let alone a elderly relative at risk just at the point that we can see the finishing line

The thing is, if you are social distancing and following the guidelines then you are probably avoiding all the selfish people you dispose so much. It'll be the selfish people who are at risk of catching Covid and potentially dying and not people like yourself and by extension your granny.

Of course not. Once you think about committing manslaughter then technically any death would be pre-meditated and you get into murder territory.
Everyone should at very least stick to the rules and do everything they reasonably can to limit this virus simple as that. If they don't they and people like them drive up the R rate and that adds to deaths.

If the trip was unnecessary yes it is a form of killing someone if you carry the virus and given there are people who show no symptoms we should all do what we can.
Necessary? define necessary.

In the short term, is schooling necessary, when lives are at stake? The world has proven we can by and large do online shops, so is any physical shopping really necessary? The govt has even allowed people to the pubs to meet amongst households. That's clearly not necessary.

Every year people die of influenza. we could reduce those figures by having a permement lockdown for all forever until influenza is stopped also. Don't you agree? you have to really if you want to be consistent.

Everyone should at very least stick to the rules and do everything they reasonably can to limit this virus simple as that.
No it's not as simple as that. The point is that the govt themselves dont even want to limit the virus entirely. That would be entirely unmanageable, and would have very far reaching consequences. Deaths might even increase overall.

I know of at least 2 people who have had misdiagnosing of cancer during lockdown as a result of covid restrictions. I also know of people who have had operations delayed because of it. I know a significant number of people who have no job ATM because of it. They have been made redundant. Related to this, I read that mental health has deteriorated significantly since last year, with a number of COVID related suicides. If you want to take ridiculously strict hard line on COVID as you seem to suggest, you will increase deaths elsewhere.

If you took the approach that you should limit any risk of dying entirely you wouldn't walk outside your house each day, coronavirus or no coronavirus. It's just not feasible.

The thing is, if you are social distancing and following the guidelines then you are probably avoiding all the selfish people you dispose so much. It'll be the selfish people who are at risk of catching Covid and potentially dying and not people like yourself and by extension your granny.
Social distancing doesn't eliminate the risk, it lowers it to more manageable/acceptable levels. There's so much misunderstanding of risk management here it's unbelievable.

Call me cynical if you will, but they would say that, wouldn't they? I suspect a large number of those people have every intention of meeting up with family over Xmas regardless of whether it's "officially" allowed, all those people are saying in such polls is that they don't want a severe lockdown after Xmas, not necessarily that they're prepared to make any kind of sacrifice to ensure that's the case.
I was going to type the same thing. It is strikingly obvious that people say one thing on the internet, and do another in real life. Everyone hates people that hoarded toilet rolls, so who bought all the toilet rolls?

Social distancing doesn't eliminate the risk, it lowers it to more manageable/acceptable levels. There's so much misunderstanding of risk management here it's unbelievable.
Agreed - 2 people walking passed each other without facemasks doesn't mean that both will get the virus. One will have to have it firstly, and there will need to be sustained contact