Would be Millwall, wouldn`t it ? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Would be Millwall, wouldn`t it ?

just an observation but sport has been used for political gain for a few years, 1924 olympics it raised its head gb v usa. the poppy is not political , but it has been used for political gain . especially by ukip since around 2002.

I agree that wars are fought for political reasons. Remembering those who died (and had no choice but to fight in those wars, whether they agree with them or not) is not, IMO, political.
I also agree that those who don't want to wear a poppy, for whatever reason, shouldn't have to. However, to refuse will always attract negative response, just as refusing to take a knee will from certain quarters. Its all about choice and as long as you are happy to accept the consequences, you should be able to chose to do what you like.
Well said. I don't wear a poppy through choice, but I always put money into collections. I have also volunteered at the vets place in Aylesford. I was supposed to go again in April, but COVID put pay to that. I wouldn't define wearing the poppy as political either, but plenty do.

just an observation but sport has been used for political gain for a few years, 1924 olympics it raised its head gb v usa. the poppy is not political , but it has been used for political gain . especially by ukip since around 2002.
I remember only too well the attempts of the National Front and BM to recruit football fans both inside and outside of grounds in the 70s and 80s. So, you are spot in when you say sport has always been used for political gain.

Last edited:
I worked for a large company before I retired early 5 years ago. At a lunch with one of the older senior managers he boasted that any job application he received from someone with a foreign sounding name went straight in the bin. We nearly came to blows as I exposed his awful racism. So forgive me if I don't accept that there is very little racism negatively affecting the life chances of BAME folk.

And I would bet that if that Senior Manager is still alive you would not have changed his attitude one iota. In fact, threatening to hit him would probably have hardened his view.

The important thing is, did you approach another 1999 white people on the way home and make a symbolic gesture towards them on the assumption that they needed "educating" and were all just as racist as him?

And I would bet that if that Senior Manager is still alive you would not have changed his attitude one iota. In fact, threatening to hit him would probably have hardened his view.

The important thing is, did you approach another 1999 white people on the way home and make a symbolic gesture towards them on the assumption that they needed "educating" and were all just as racist as him?
Fair points (although it was he who threatened to hit me).
Do you think I would need to ask 1999 people to discover if there is still racial discrimination in the UK? It's certainly lower but alive and well in too many over 50's.

I remember only too well the attempts of the National Front and BM to recruit football fans both inside and outside of grounds in the 70s and 80s. So, you are spot in when you say politics has always been used for political gain.

Not to mention putin and the Russian ultras and numerous Italian politicians with their ultras.

Appears it’s to late,Millwall and QPR tomorrow night will not be taking the knee,thank fuk for that.
QPR will be I believe. They have decided that Black Lives Matter again, after a brief period when black lives didn't matter (they stopped taking the knee in previous matches).

Just play fucking football for fucks sake.
Who the hell do these people think they are?

Playing football is their job.
Just imagine every Tesco employee dropping on to one knee before starting their shift.
Ridiculous?
Absolutely.
That’s how ridiculous these footballers are looking.

What people do before their work is up to them. I have worked with colleagues who prayed before working, different faiths. Good on the footballers making their own decisions individually and collectively and adapting to circumstances. I trust and respect their judgment more than I do that of the football authorities.

Just play fucking football for fucks sake.
Who the hell do these people think they are?

Playing football is their job.
Just imagine every Tesco employee dropping on to one knee before starting their shift.
Ridiculous?
Absolutely.
That’s how ridiculous these footballers are looking.
Judging by the number of likes on this post. I must be in a minority that wouldnt give two hoots if a tesco employee decided to drip to his/her knee before a shift started. I couldn't care less what they do before a shift. Maybe just me though.

I certainly wouldn't boo them if they chose to do it on the shop floor.