World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 3 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Orbs, most of Oceania is part of Asia and the days of Oz consisting of Anglo Saxons and Aborigines are long gone.
Time marches on.
Yeah i'm not disputing that Orf.
It's just when i think if Asia i think of countries like India, Thailand and Mongolia.
Australia doesn't spring to mind .:thumbup:

We can, Radford, but it's not in Asia. In the Asia-Pacific region yeah but not in Asia

Australia is a continent

Not quite!

Australia is part of the continent which extends far beyond its own land mass, including many other countries.

As Orbs points out, it is now more commonly referred to as part of Oceania, the geo political terminology for the region.

I suspect that you have the area bordered by the pacific, Indian and Artic Oceans in mind when thinking of Asia, which is correct; Australia though, is in a totally different part of Asia.

Australia is a continent (the country of Australia is in this continent). Asia is a continent.

Australia is NOT in Asia

Oceania and Australia are interchangeable.

Oceania/Australia is a continent. Asia is a continent.

Australia is NOT in Asia

So Ocenia and Australia are interchangeable, effectively one and the same, and are a Continent; check.

Oceania:
Situated in the southeast of the Asia-Pacific region, Oceania is the smallest continental grouping in land area and the second smallest in population after Antarctica.

No one is claiming that Australia is part of the area that you are so clearly referring to; nevertheless it is still part of Asia, albeit a different and unrelated part.

You're all claiming that Australia is in Asia. It ISN'T. Asia is a totally different continent. Australia is in the continent of Australia. Asia and Australia are both in the Asia-Pacific region but Australia definitely is not in Asia.

Australia is a continent (the country of Australia is in this continent). Asia is a continent.

Australia is NOT in Asia

This thread has got totally out of hand. JC21 please let me make it clear, and I have lived here for the last 50 years plus.

Asia is NOT a continent. It is a term given to many countries.

Australia is a continent, no other country is on this continent.

Australia is part and parcel of Asia.

I feel better now.

You're all claiming that Australia is in Asia. It ISN'T. Asia is a totally different continent. Australia is in the continent of Australia. Asia and Australia are both in the Asia-Pacific region but Australia definitely is not in Asia.

Who is using the family brain cell today and when is it your turn?

I think you are confusing South East Asia with Asia Pacific, two distinctly different areas.

The main body of Asia, the Continent, is situated in the area sometimes known as Eurasia.

Would you kindly direct any further questions to your Geography teacher who gets paid for educating you; I don't.

:hehe: My better senses tell me a I should be quiet and figure out how to keep my fingers and toes attached to me but I am not that self-aware

Technically - Australia is on a different tectonic plate than Asia. Asia is on the Eurasian plate and Australia is on the Australian plate. The plates bump against eaxch other somewhere in Indonesia.

Geologically speaking, these are different land masses. That said Australia is generall thought of as its own continent.

Most importantly, since ORF can probably stomp a mudhole into me, Australia can be part of Asia!!!

:throw:

This thread has got totally out of hand. JC21 please let me make it clear, and I have lived here for the last 50 years plus.

Asia is NOT a continent. It is a term given to many countries.

Australia is a continent, no other country is on this continent.

Australia is part and parcel of Asia.

I feel better now.

Im afraid he is correct!

Asia, the Asia he is clearly referring to, is a Continent; what he will not accept is that there are other Geographical regions that contain the word Asia but are not related to the Continent.

East Asia, South East Asia and Asia Pacific to name but three.

Australia is a Continent but it is not a single Nation Continent; Melanesia, Micronesia, Polynesia and Australasia are all part of the Continent - chances are that Austral will have to ditch the asia bit once JC21 sends in the gun boats in protest.

Who is using the family brain cell today and when is it your turn?

I think you are confusing South East Asia with Asia Pacific, two distinctly different areas.

The main body of Asia, the Continent, is situated in the area sometimes known as Eurasia.

Would you kindly direct any further questions to your Geography teacher who gets paid for educating you; I don't.

Look on a map. Find ASIA and tell me if Australia is in it

asia-location-map.jpg

Australia in the red bit? Thought not