Women's World Cup Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Women's World Cup Thread

Another brilliant example of why we all want VAR.

How did football manage to exist for over a century without knowing a goalkeeper was a foot off the line, when they saved a penalty.

Brilliant - can’t wait for it to be in all EFL divisions.

Refs like Ben Toner, Seb Stocksbridge or Bret Huxtable and VAR must be the way forward.

Anyone. Absolutely anyone who saw the end of the Scotland v Argentina game tonight and still thinks VAR is a good idea must be insane. At this rate FIFA and VAR will kill the game as we know it. Something needs to be done to stop this now. The premier League will be a farce next season with VAR and if it ever filters down the league's, God help us. It is destroying the beautiful game. There has to be a backlash.

VAR worked pretty well in the Russian World Cup, as did the refereeing throughout.
Why? Because a certain Pierluigi Collina was running it all and he had the best refs in his team.

This Women's World Cup however is a different story. A lot of inexperienced officials (like Sepp Blatter used to pick at the men's World Cup for tournament after tournament).
Tonight's Scotland game is an absolute prime example of clueless officials.

It all went spectacularly wrong for the Ref and the rest in the 85th minute onwards.
Scotland were carrying out a substition and whilst the players were changing over and being overseen by the lineswoman, the Ref takes it upon herself to start the game again.
Scotland naturally still (and correctly) in play stopped mode and a player short too...
Argentine then run the ball straight into the box and the penalty incident ensues & it goes to VAR.
So without even considering the challenge in the box, the VAR room should have immediately ruled that play should not have even been going on as the substitution was still proceeding.
But they ignored that. Then comes the verdict on the challenge. Several replays showed the Scotland defender making contact first with the ball, other angles showed it could be a penalty. However the Ref had ruled it wasn't a penalty so for that to be overturned by VAR then there has to be a clear and obvious error. As one angle showed it not to be a penalty whilst another that it maybe was, and then the fact that over 5 mins were taken deliberating over it, all demonstrates that there was no clear view to overrule the Ref's original decision.

Then we finally get to the penalty being taken. And the Scotland goalie makes a brilliant save to keep Scotland in the World Cup. Except in steps VAR again and rules that the keeper has come off her line before the kick is taken (brand new rule).
However I have freeze-framed it and have also seen another freeze-frame shot on Twitter, and both that one and my own prove conclusively that the keeper was still on her line just after the ball had been kicked. So no breach at all of the new rule and a legitimate save. And unlike the penalty verdict, this time the Ref does not go and check the replays herself. Nor did the tv show the different angles on it.

And then comes the final coup-de-grace by the Ref, the actual length of the game!
The match had been stopped dead on 86mins for the VAR check.
It was 94mins on the clock before the game finally restarted. And then just one minute later the Ref blew for fulltime, with both sides totally bemused the final whistle had been blown.
So of the final 4mins of the 90, only 1 was played and then there should have been a further 3mins for all the substitutions and another couple for injuries. So overall the game was at least eight minutes short!!!

The penalty award and the penalty retake are subjective decisions (albeit extremely marginal at best and certainly not clear errors that VAR is allowed to overrule).
But starting play during a substitution is a clear refereeing error and only playing 82 minutes is a fundamental cock up of the highest order and frankly I wonder if it doesn't actually invalidate the game completely.

Its all a colossal shame that this highest profile women's tournament to date is being ruined big time by match officials who do not have the experience to be at this level of football. The players are now mostly full time professionals and deserve officials of the right standard.

VAR worked pretty well in the Russian World Cup, as did the refereeing throughout.
Why? Because a certain Pierluigi Collina was running it all and he had the best refs in his team.

This Women's World Cup however is a different story. A lot of inexperienced officials (like Sepp Blatter used to pick at the men's World Cup for tournament after tournament).
Tonight's Scotland game is an absolute prime example of clueless officials.

It all went spectacularly wrong for the Ref and the rest in the 85th minute onwards.
Scotland were carrying out a substition and whilst the players were changing over and being overseen by the lineswoman, the Ref takes it upon herself to start the game again.
Scotland naturally still (and correctly) in play stopped mode and a player short too...
Argentine then run the ball straight into the box and the penalty incident ensues & it goes to VAR.
So without even considering the challenge in the box, the VAR room should have immediately ruled that play should not have even been going on as the substitution was still proceeding.
But they ignored that. Then comes the verdict on the challenge. Several replays showed the Scotland defender making contact first with the ball, other angles showed it could be a penalty. However the Ref had ruled it wasn't a penalty so for that to be overturned by VAR then there has to be a clear and obvious error. As one angle showed it not to be a penalty whilst another that it maybe was, and then the fact that over 5 mins were taken deliberating over it, all demonstrates that there was no clear view to overrule the Ref's original decision.

Then we finally get to the penalty being taken. And the Scotland goalie makes a brilliant save to keep Scotland in the World Cup. Except in steps VAR again and rules that the keeper has come off her line before the kick is taken (brand new rule).
However I have freeze-framed it and have also seen another freeze-frame shot on Twitter, and both that one and my own prove conclusively that the keeper was still on her line just after the ball had been kicked. So no breach at all of the new rule and a legitimate save. And unlike the penalty verdict, this time the Ref does not go and check the replays herself. Nor did the tv show the different angles on it.

And then comes the final coup-de-grace by the Ref, the actual length of the game!
The match had been stopped dead on 86mins for the VAR check.
It was 94mins on the clock before the game finally restarted. And then just one minute later the Ref blew for fulltime, with both sides totally bemused the final whistle had been blown.
So of the final 4mins of the 90, only 1 was played and then there should have been a further 3mins for all the substitutions and another couple for injuries. So overall the game was at least eight minutes short!!!

The penalty award and the penalty retake are subjective decisions (albeit extremely marginal at best and certainly not clear errors that VAR is allowed to overrule).
But starting play during a substitution is a clear refereeing error and only playing 82 minutes is a fundamental cock up of the highest order and frankly I wonder if it doesn't actually invalidate the game completely.

Its all a colossal shame that this highest profile women's tournament to date is being ruined big time by match officials who do not have the experience to be at this level of football. The players are now mostly full time professionals and deserve officials of the right standard.
Watched it in disbelief , if this had been in the mans game there would've riots ,

I meant somehow blowing a 3-0 lead with 20 mins left.
Know what you meant, I meant the god awful var call.
Pickford was almost certainly off his line when he saved that penalty. They've gone too far now.
Regarding Scotland the manager left too left to make changes imho when the momentum shifted.

Anyone. Absolutely anyone who saw the end of the Scotland v Argentina game tonight and still thinks VAR is a good idea must be insane. At this rate FIFA and VAR will kill the game as we know it. Something needs to be done to stop this now. The premier League will be a farce next season with VAR and if it ever filters down the league's, God help us. It is destroying the beautiful game. There has to be a backlash.

Not very often I feel sorry for a Scottish team but I did last night. Surely VAR cannot continue in its present form, at this rate a goal keeper will be sent off for two 'offensives' of being an inch off his/her line as each one is a booking. I am confused as to what is deemed a penalty anymore, hand to ball / ball to hand and all that , VAR is just taking over the game. For 'clear and obvious mistakes' I can understand its occasional use, but if the ref has to stand in front of the monitor for 2 or 3 minutes to decide as last night it is not 'clear and obvious' imo. Lee Mason must be rubbing his hands ! More chances to look even smugger.
I know the Officials have to gain experience but the standard has been pretty low. The ref last night did not even play added on time for the 5+ minutes she was mucking about with VAR. Dreadful for such an important tournament.
UTI.

It will happen as every keeper jumps forward to varying degrees.

Except that, inevitably, it will not be applied consistently. Because the powers that be will realise that to do so is absurd. The problem then is that you are back where you started with interpretation being the key to whether or not VAR is used in any particular situation. In which case, you might as well not have bothered.

A good non-VAR example is the Billy Knott sending off. I've seen literally scores of worse challenges since that occurred that have not resulted in a red. Why? Because it was an absurd decision. But it only takes one jobsworth Ref to revive the Knott Interpretation for there to be another.

It will happen as every keeper jumps forward to varying degrees.

That's because they are allowed to get away with it.

The law (from FA website) - The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net, until the ball has been kicked. ... When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line.

In 1956 (in a Football Post annual I have to hand) it was - The opposing goalkeeper must stand (without moving his feet) on his own goal-line, between the goal-posts until the ball is kicked.

I've no problem with the decision to retake if the keeper has broken the rules. However, why are we not retaking scored ones when the attacking side have encroached into the box. Goose and gander!!
The French one was worse, the girl missed the goal and the keeper didn't get a touch. No way should a retake be allowed when that happens!

On a positive, 2 quality finishes from Ellen White last night. I'm not big on the womens game, but credit where its due.

I think every single decision by a ref and lino should be reviewed by VAR. It's the only way to be sure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

Here is the problem, if FIFA are going to use it in the way they are and we don’t you end up with the same game played under different rules. Both Rugby codes has these problems some years ago when they brought in the video Ref. They have it sorted now, but it took some time. I remember Brian O’driscoll being constantly penalised at the ruck for the Lions in NZ because the video ref interpreted rules differently.